Go see it.
The fine gentlemen at Top Gear continue to impress with their inventive programming. Presenter Jeremy Clarkson recently profiled the new and breathtakingly awesome Range Rover Sport (supercharged) for the much revered BBC series. After going over the performance (naught to sixty in 7 seconds, not bad for a SUV), Clarkson took the Range Rover to the proving grounds to do battle with a British Challenger II tank. The result is automotive television at its finest.
The obvious choice for my summertime alcoholic refreshment is normally the Dark ‘N’ Storm. Occasionally though, I want to drink something different, something unexpected, enter the Navy Grog. Created in 1941 by Donn Beach in Hollywood, the “Tiki era” drink is a mix of three rums, fresh lime and grapefruit juice, and honey syrup. The Navy Grog is the perfect compliment to the Dark N’ Stormy — for those easy flowing days of summertime drinking.
Our friends at DETAILS put together another great Rules of Style with Consuelo Castiglioni, the forward thinking creative director of Marni. As I have said before, these types of Q&As are hard to do in an interesting manner, but DETAILS is on a roll. Some of my favorite bits from Ms. Castiglioni:
5. Shoes define the kind of man you are. They should never be too trendy or showy but lean toward the classic. There are a lot of ugly shoes out there, and they can ruin even the most sophisticated attire.
- Manhattanites will soon be enjoying their very own Belgian frites mobile | [Grub Street]
- Mad Men, communist Poland and the Clash all said to have inspired emerging menswear brand Lova’s fall collection | [R29 Pipeline]
- Miles Davis, musical genius and style icon | [Kempt]
- DETAILS makes wearing pants idiot proof. It’s harder than you think… | [DETAILS] [Pictured]
- “What the fuck is Squash?” Everything you need to know | [VF's Style & Society Blog]
The August issue of GQ is out and as to be expected, it is great. Just when you thought it couldn’t get better than the Summer Dresses Summer Suits story in July they hit you with Mr. John Slattery AKA Roger Sterling cloaked head-to-toe in plaid goodness.
Zooey Deschanel has been of particular interest to me recently, in part because of her newish musical project with M. Ward called She & Him and more specifically because, well, she is beautiful. The new album from She & Him (great name!) titled Volume One, is terrific. Zooey’s voice is mesmerizing and the songs are catchy and repeat worthy. Watch the performance below and prepare to fall in love with Miss Deschanel. The eyes / smile combination is irresistable.