Thanks to Steven for the tip. This is mesmerizing both in sound and sight.
his version of “I Remember You” on The Best of Chet Baker Sings is my favorite of his. So Too Much…
no bron bron post today?
I’m not particularly mad about LeBron leaving or what happened yesterday. A couple reasons for my peaceful stance:
1. I left, so how can I criticize him for choosing to explore opportunities elsewhere?
2. That’s how shit rolls in Cleveland. When you grow up there you learn to live with and accept disappointment. I know it sounds pessimistic, but that is the cold reality of Northeast Ohio.
3. LeBron is no Michael Jordan, shit, he’s no Kobe. LBJ has been given too much, he is spoiled. There’s no arguing the fact that the man is a hall of fame player. But the Cavs gave him everything they could and the dude still choked every post season. Now he wants to go to “Wade County” and play with someone who has already done it. That’s fine by me. LeBron doesn’t have the heart to really be a winner. I felt that way during the playoffs every year while he was in Cleveland and I feel that way now.
At the end of the day I’m sad for the people in Cleveland that got kicked in the teeth by how LeBron and his people handled this situation. To drag this out and make a spectacle of ‘The Decision” only served to make LeBron look like a fool and tortured a city that supported him and have little other sources of hope. Up until July 7th no one really had anything but positive feelings for LeBron, but all that has changed with the utter lack of class he has displayed over these last few weeks.
P.S. Fuck Art Modell. Cleveland is (and always will be) a “Browns Town” first and foremost.
I agree with Stan Van Gundy’s sentiments that, paraphrased, “it’s much more rewarding to go it alone and build a championship team with the players you’re dealt than to join a supergroup of and win it easily” – if in fact that’s what happens. I don’t begrudge him the opportunity to win multiple championships (I think he could’ve gotten at least one if not 2 if he bucked up and stayed in Cleveland), but he definitely came out of all this a smaller looking man – mainly for the spectacle he created. But like some writer in The Times said today, Dan Gilbert helped create the spectacle in the first place and therefore has no business trashing LBJ the way he did. To me, Gilbert emerges more the chump than LBJ. All that said, sorry for your loss. Must be rough. Better than growing up without a pro hoops or baseball team though. Louisiana ain’t much better off than than Cleveland – except we now have the champion Saints to make us feel a bit better.
I’ve been listening to way too much talk radio so back to Chet and cool old cars… Seriously MW you’re freaking me out. If you tapped into my brain anymore I’d file a stalking order. You’ve been on a run of posts lately that literally defines my life and my interests – Two Lane Blacktop, Old Canvas Tents, Chet Baker, etc… What’s next a post about my beloved Quonset Huts?… Oh shit you’ll probably link to an old post that I missed from back in the day… Seriously a few more homeruns and I’m gonna hire security… Love it. Al The Unfazed in Portland
Quonset Huts? http://acontinuouslean.com/2008/11/04/flickr-find-quonset-hut/
Thanks for the good words.
I knew it… Hey if you get a chance and your Quonset Hut interest runs deeper, Princeton Architectural Press put out a great book called “Quonset Hut – Metal Living For A Modern Age” that’s part coffee table book, part history book and it’s awesome. Less than $20 from most online retailers for book plus shipping. Have a great weekend and keep up the solid work… We all know that continuing to produce quality content requires a lot of effort.
Thanks for the post.
I wonder if a normal person can still get his hands on Mobil ‘pegasus’ ephemera? Such a beautiful corporate logo, especially in Neon. It captures some something and gives you a sense of Americana… kind of like the Kellogg’s logo or vintage Gulf or Shell logos.
Sundance Channel has a great film on Chet Baker by Bruce Weber called Le’ts Get Lost. Beautiful images and music.
I love Chet Baker, adore his albums, “Playboys” and “Chet Baker Sings” particularly.
Have never seen this video before so many thanks!
I’m in the process of adding lettering on the sides of my beloved 1953 Desoto Firedome…!
Thanks for the post…MW
Dagmars,spinners and Chet-can’t get any better. Nice video.
chet baker and footage of vintage cars, whats better than that? nothing!
Holy smokes! I fell asleep 2 minutes into the video…
Check the sound of this prewar Buick…
Yeah, a really nice piece. A few things strike me about it:
1) Designer Raymond Lowey’s penning of the Studebaker shown subscribes to what he himself called the ‘MAYA principal’ – Most Advanced Yet Acceptable.
2) The tanker is inscribed “Inflammable”. I think a lot of people wouldn’t understand that these days.
3) Economy runs were pointless. A slow race of sorts. Drive conservatively, then drain your tank, not exactly Cannonball Run. I guess in the end people didn’t need an excuse to have a ‘road trip’.
4) Lastly, this is not the forum to have a basketball wank is it?
Chet Baker is essential listening for any jazz enthusiast..We just did a post http://thehotandcool.blogspot.com/2010/06/italian-weekend.html on one of my favorite songs he did for an Italian film called, Arrivederci. Good stuff.
While watching this I can’t help but think what the modern equivalent would be … (I know, I know, you’re SUPPOSED to be just soaking in the sweet-sassy-molassey Chet Baker vibes and vintage car visuals, but…) .. I’m tempted to say just a camera outside the Chili’s in Sarnia, MI set to “Baby” by Justin Bieber… Which would, of course, tempt ACL readers 50 yrs from now to set themselves on fire upon viewing.
Unfortunately Chet Baker was horrible to women, which makes it difficult for me to enjoy listening to him.
Your blog is a treasure!
Just wondering… are there any classic car clubs (hot rod or muscle car) in L.A. area that are for more cultured people? I attend lots of shows and it seems to be more gansta’s or old dudes. Where is the hipster car clubs at?
Comments are closed.