Way back in 2008 I published an entirely different type of thing than I had ever posted before or ever after. The entry is one of the few text-only posts I have ever done, and it is certainly the only thing on the site found via Craigslist. It consisted of a long post on the San Francisco local CL titled “Advice to Young Men from an Old Man,” and it is one of my favorite moments from the past 5+ years of doing this site. I was looking around for something else last night and I stumbled back upon it (and tweeted it) and I thought that since it was posted so long ago, a lot of people have probably never seen it. Some of my favorite selections from the advice are below, but go back and read the entire thing.
3. Invest in yourself. Material things come to those that have self actualized.
9. You’ll spend your entire life listening to people tell you how much you owe them. You don’t owe the vast majority of people shit.
10. Don’t undermine your fellow young men. Mentor the young men that come after you. Society recognizes that you have the potential to be the most power force in society. It scares them. Society does not find young men sympathetic. They are afraid of you, both individually and collectively. Law enforcement’s primary purpose is to suppress you.
13. Know that few people have your best interests at heart. Your mother does. Your father probably does (if he stuck around). Your siblings are on your side. Everybody else worries about themselves.
14. Don’t be afraid to tell people to â€œfuck offâ€ when need be. It is an important skill to acquire. As they say, speak your piece, even if your voice shakes.
28. Don’t be a poser. Avoid being one of those dudes who puts a surfboard on top of their car, but never surfs, or a dude with a powder coated fixed gear bike and a messenger bag, but was never a messenger. Live the life. Earn your bonafides.