Made To Last | North Sea Clothing

Victory-shawl-1 (1)

It’s a fine line between being “authentic” and simply playing dress up. Yet, if there’s ever been a label that’s hit that golden sweet spot between these two concepts it’s England’s North Sea Clothing. While we’ve followed and worn North Sea for some time, we got another chance to marvel at the brand’s bullet proof collection first hand in London a few weeks back at the Pop Up Flea and it was a reminder as to just how good this stuff is.

North Sea’s brand of “Whatever Weather” throwback knits are the realest of real deals, using the specifications of vintage WWII era sweaters as the jumping off point for their designs. Fortunately for us though, Mr Neil Starr, the brilliant mind behind the brand, has adapted its fits for the modern man. From the Submariner turtleneck which looks like a leftover from Hemingway’s closet, to their Intrepid pullover, a traditional Norwegian sweater on steroids, North Seas knits are truly unmatched. Genuine reproductions recut for everyday wear? It truly doesn’t get much better than that. —JG

Comments on “Made To Last | North Sea Clothing

Ted Harringtonon October 30, 2013 @ 9:32 PM:

“Hit golden sweet spot” love it

David Joneson October 31, 2013 @ 8:29 AM:

Very Nice.

Kevin Keimon October 31, 2013 @ 10:20 AM:

I agree, these sweaters are beautifully made. I purchased a turtleneck last year. But they are also incredibly itchy! I asked the company in two emails if there was any way, perhaps with careful washing, to lessen the itchiness, but they never responded to me.

Mike L.on October 31, 2013 @ 11:57 AM:

I own two different Expedition sweaters, in navy and ecru, and they’re the best, most versatile pullovers I own. You can find them in the US at Fantastic garments, North Sea Clothing.

Matthew Pikeon October 31, 2013 @ 4:42 PM:

New one to me, says the Englishman.

ericon November 1, 2013 @ 12:50 PM:

with my other itchy wool sweaters, including lambswool and rough and tumble hairy stuff, Ive been told- and used to success- hand washing in hair conditioner same stuff your girl uses- best quality you caN get. wool is just hair, AND THE CONDITIONER, handwashed and rinsed a few tines in warm- with the last time leaving a bit more conditioner in- tamed my sweaters right up, softening the wildness and lying the wool flat and soft.

Johnon November 2, 2013 @ 10:03 AM:

I wash all my wool in warm in the washing machine, with vinegar in the fabric softener slot. I never machine dry and I second the conditioner thing too. The wool fulls (felts) a little and the conditioner smooths it out.

Antony Levineon November 4, 2013 @ 3:57 PM:

Wow. I’m loving the fabric on this sweater. The wool is just fabulous and it looks pretty slimming. I’m gonna put this on my x-mas list. : )

Thread supplierson November 18, 2013 @ 2:23 PM: