New Balance: Made in the U.S.A.

Look at the list of major athletic shoe brands that are Made in the USA and you will find a total of one entry: New Balance.

It all started for me with the 993. Then came the 574, the 1300 and the 996. I love them all equally. That perfectly tilted “N”, the toe shape that is just right and that “Made in the USA” (Where the domestic value is at least 70%, New Balance labels its shoes “Made in the USA”) stitching on the tongue. To me, New Balance are as classic as it gets.

The fact that the company is the only one that has maintained production in the United States is remarkable. It speaks to the commitment to the people of Maine & Massachusetts where the factories are located. It shows the commitment to the men and women of the U.S. Military who wake up early and lace-up New Balance Made in USA running shoes. It speaks volumes and there’s only one real voice out there.

Putting on a pair of American made New Balance shoes feels different, it feels unique. It’s rare to find a product that looks good and helps support hardworking people in New England. If you ask me, that’s the next cool thing. [NEW BALANCE]

New_Balance_Made_in_USA_ACL_3 New_Balance_Made_in_USA_ACL_4

Comments on “New Balance: Made in the U.S.A.

Bradon June 27, 2013 @ 11:06 AM:

What model is the light gray with orange highlights?

mike wargoon June 27, 2013 @ 11:31 AM:

Many NB shoes are produced outside of the US. I have worn them for years and have found many versions made elsewhere.

John Kon June 27, 2013 @ 4:46 PM:

Could be me but I’m not seeing any of these shoes on the NB website. Good post, Michael.

maton June 27, 2013 @ 4:58 PM:

The trainer of kings

RKWon June 27, 2013 @ 10:39 PM:

@Mike, true, but if you take the extra effort on their website, or in stores, its easy to find the US shoes. I made it a point to look for them the last time I bought a pair. Bit more expensive, but in my mind, worth it. Mine say prominently on the outside of the heel, USA.

P Didddyon June 27, 2013 @ 11:02 PM:

Those red ones!

Also, @mike wargo, if a shoe is 70% or more domestic NB labels it “made in USA”. Some shoes may contains parts that are made in USA but do not reach that 70% threshold. 1 out of 4 of all their shoes are “made in USA”. It’s not perfect, but it’s better than the other guys. ;)

Adam Son June 28, 2013 @ 10:32 AM:

@P Diddy – is “made in the USA” the only reason you’d buy shoes? I guess you dislike adidas and Puma because they’re German, or made in Asia? Saying that 25% of shoes being made in the US is better than 0 is laughable, really. It’s basically nothing! 70% of one shoe in four is made in the US? Wow!!!

Ralph McGon June 28, 2013 @ 3:41 PM:

@Adam S – Basically nothing? Tell that to the people who have the jobs to make these shoes. Ask THEM if this percentage is worthwhile. Ass.

DanAbnormalon June 29, 2013 @ 11:03 PM:

Hi Michael – What model are the grey/navy/orange shoes in photos 2 & 3? I can’t find them anywhere. Very sharp.

Jackon July 2, 2013 @ 8:05 AM:

The best sneakers!!!!

twitch124on July 3, 2013 @ 7:46 PM:

Brad, DanAbnormal: Those look like the American Rebel 1300 and other 1300 model shoes.,default,pd.html?dwvar_M1300-AR_color=Grey_with_Red_and_Black&start=44&q=made%20in%20the%20usa&cgid=106000

(I’m not connected to the site, I’m just a new balance fan. I wear custom 574s)

Chrison July 4, 2013 @ 5:07 PM:

OK, I need to know what those dark grey 1300s with red Ns on the right end of the last picture are, I can’t find them anywhere.

Help please!

Fletcheron July 18, 2013 @ 10:59 AM:

Made and the US and the UK and probably more countries besides