Vintage Adventures at Brimfield

Walking down Route 20 on a rainy day in Western Massachusetts, I spotted many a familiar face. Brimfield, the expansive outdoor antique show, has become it’s own little trade show for vintage lovers; a place to get your flea market fix and maybe even to buy something. The event is a bit of a phenomenon, some of the people at Brimfield are there for work (you’ll notice those people with their two-way radios), and others are there purely on a voyeuristic pursuit. I’m somewhere in between those two categorizations.

“We could all just meet in the city if we could coordinated better.” –Kings County Salvage

Brimfield for me is more about the journey than the destination. At this point I’m not looking for anything specific, I’m really just in-town on the ultimate browsing session. With that said, I was partially unimpressed with what was on offer yesterday, a feeling that also keep me away last year. Though, that’s the nature of flea markets — they are hit or miss. Often, the success lies in one’s quickness and persistence. You have to know good things (and prices) when you see them, and then you need to have the ability to get to stuff before someone else beats you to it. That’s just if you are crazy about it. I like to wander around and not worry about who gets what and if I buy anything. Lord knows I don’t need any more stuff.

The show goes on all week and through the weekend. So if you are into this sort of thing, head out for some vintage fun. At the very least, you’ll get to enjoy a Pilgrim sandwich and see all sorts of interesting people. You might even find a few treasures.

There was a very serious "girls in Barbours" situation going on.

Comments on “Vintage Adventures at Brimfield

Daveon May 9, 2012 @ 12:18 PM:

I live outside of Boston and I went last year for the first time. I think we only scratched the surface. So, I’m pretty bummed that I can make it there this year. Next year though…

Garrickon May 9, 2012 @ 1:14 PM:

industrial beauty

Reminds me of browsing the modern50 website, though i’d rather be at Brimfield. If only I lived in the US

jjon May 9, 2012 @ 1:22 PM:

Great post! Looks like a lot of fun. May have been a flood warning that day by the looks of the rain boots (e.g., guy in blue coat 4th pic from the bottom).

Jeffon May 9, 2012 @ 1:49 PM:

how much were those leather chairs?

Fjorderon May 9, 2012 @ 2:29 PM:

The outboards are amazing; I haven’t seen anything like that since I was a kid.

Thanks to the wabi sabi aesthetic that’s being curated by everyone and spearheaded by the likes of Roman & Williams, all of these codgers who steadfastly cling to all of this ‘stuff’ are now, hopefully, clearing away some of this Americana and making some money in the process.

Harryon May 9, 2012 @ 2:29 PM:

I love the “work wear” look on people who probably have never put in a day of hard work.

Michael Williamson May 9, 2012 @ 2:34 PM:

Harry — how hard are you working right now reading blogs all day? Or are you loggin in from the hood of your F-250?

EJon May 9, 2012 @ 2:59 PM:

I worked here in my uncle’s “Village Stoneman” booth during the July session in high school. Such a neat place. Beautiful French club chairs. Thanks for covering Michael.

TheDottedLineon May 9, 2012 @ 4:06 PM:

A treasure trove indeed. We love heading there for inspiration.

GOOGon May 9, 2012 @ 4:23 PM:

zzzzzzzzzzing! one point for Michael
    I used to work at 40 Wall, that chemical tube would have been a cool addition to the office.
    And yeah, that Johnson outboard screams old time fishin with grandpa.

Billyon May 9, 2012 @ 5:15 PM:

Great pics! Looks like a good show this year. Love the metal boxes and wall O letters. Wish I was there.

DmCon May 9, 2012 @ 6:21 PM:

The “workwear on people who don’t work” hate is getting really tired. Everybody works. Drop it already.

Ted Harringtonon May 10, 2012 @ 3:16 AM:

Kind of disappointed that my weekend is booked. Looks like a good time.

randolphon May 10, 2012 @ 9:26 AM:

Cute girls in barbour should have its own tumblr.

@Ted Harrington

You get two more cracks at it this year.

Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap.comon May 10, 2012 @ 3:10 PM:

I spent my formative years and beyond with my dad at Brimfield. He and my mother started going there in the 60s “when it was one weekend and one field” – and it was a bittersweet visit to go there last year just after he passed away. I don’t think he would’ve dug the industrial items that are now in vogue, as he was more into decoys, sporting prints and post cards. We’d often separate but meet up at the chuck wagons for lunch. Good memories!

Chris Ron May 10, 2012 @ 3:14 PM:

Wondering if someone could tell me what kind of jacket that is on the young guy in the pic above the (headless) girl on the bike. The navy blue barbour-ish looking one with the brass snaps? Looks very sharp. I’m also in the Boston area, and though I probably won’t be able to get out to this this weekend, but definitely next year! Looks like heaven to me.

Ryanon May 10, 2012 @ 4:52 PM:

mr. chapman looking snazzy. these taken with that x100?

Michael Williamson May 10, 2012 @ 5:35 PM:

All of this was shot with a Canon 5D Mark II 35mm 1.4L

Harryon May 10, 2012 @ 5:43 PM:

“Brimfield for me is more about the journey than the destination…”

You are such a tool, but I still like reading….

Michael Williamson May 10, 2012 @ 5:50 PM:

Thanks Harry. ACL has a distinguished history of idiot commenters and you are definitely keeping that tradition alive.

Marianoon May 10, 2012 @ 9:50 PM:

I dig the scoreboard and fuel board. Those would look nice at the shop.

Lukeon May 11, 2012 @ 3:14 PM:

you’re not alone.

Bob Corriganon May 12, 2012 @ 5:53 PM:

I think the photo Brimfield_2012_03.jpg is a cabinet of Elliott Addressing Machine card drawers. Wish I were there to snap it up.

ThePeanutVendoron May 15, 2012 @ 1:00 PM:

Yup those drawers a sweet. Slightly obsessed with storage at the minute.

@Garrick – nice heads up on the Modern50 website, just had a lovely little browse.

Bradon May 15, 2012 @ 2:19 PM:

I live in Williamsville NY. I want that jacket lol.

great zambonion May 16, 2012 @ 4:47 PM:

forget buying one of those chairs- id be happy sitting in one for an hour? where do i do that?

BENJAMINLEEPHILLIPSon May 17, 2012 @ 12:57 PM:

BENJAMINLEEPHILLIPSon May 17, 2012 @ 12:58 PM:

Bredloon May 19, 2012 @ 9:51 PM:

Think this is my first comment here… thanks so much for the inside look at Brimfield. Really appreciated. Absolutely worth the trip from Chicago, and golldarnit the next one is goin’ in the calendar.

In ink.

JLon May 20, 2012 @ 3:54 PM:

@Chris R: That guy’s jacket looks like a Barbour International (

melon May 22, 2012 @ 11:04 AM:

How amazing are those leather chairs? I wish we had a fair like this over here in Europe, jealous!

markfon May 28, 2012 @ 12:47 PM:

looks like he is wearing a Bellstaff, no? and red wing logger boots…

Nicolason May 30, 2012 @ 5:25 PM:

Anyone know what you’d call the hat on the dude — Asian, looking at a shoe — in the third photo from the top? I’ve always wanted a hat like that but have lacked the vocabulary to search for it. Any help? Thanks!