As it Happened | Lunch with Mr Porter

Spent the day in London with the good people of Mr Porter including Mr Terry Betts (senior buyer, at left) and Mr Toby Bateman (buying director). We had a “traditional” English lunch at Mishkin’s (“a kind-of Jewish deli with cocktails”), which was amazing and definitely is something that would likely be more at home on Delancey than round the corner from Covent Garden. Nevertheless, the food (and the company) was terrific. And just kidding about the traditional English bit. A more in-depth look at Mr Porter very soon.

Comments on “As it Happened | Lunch with Mr Porter

Frankieon December 16, 2011 @ 2:53 PM:

They look very elegant and well put together.

novh.uson December 16, 2011 @ 2:57 PM:

cool story bro

Ramalhonion December 16, 2011 @ 3:18 PM:

I’ll be hoping to see these two gentlemen very soon! To show them my new shoe collection. ;)

Seanon December 16, 2011 @ 3:48 PM:

dig those bluestone dub monks on left. cool twist.

macgillon December 16, 2011 @ 4:00 PM:

Who makes shoes that look like acid-washed denim, and why? Also, does this photo mean that the Schlossman special–double-breasted blazer with rolled up APCs and clunky shoes–is spreading? And how can we stop it? (I have a lot of questions.)

vanderleunon December 16, 2011 @ 4:22 PM:

One would think Betts and Bateman would spend a moment measuring each other’s inseam so that they didn’t have to archly roll their denims up at the bottom. In America we were over that just after James Dean died in a car crash.

edwardrowon December 16, 2011 @ 5:04 PM:

Jacobon December 16, 2011 @ 6:40 PM:

Say, who makes those brown captoe boots? Are they shell cordovan?

jfox/10eon December 16, 2011 @ 9:37 PM:

@macgill ouch. But yes DBs seem to be the new-man’s 3 button (ie cover more territory) which is great in a suit of armour way (wasn’t that the whole point of a suit anyhow?)

Then bang over to Loch Fyne and hit South Bank Center for a Kurosawa retrospective. #brutalistarchitecture #miss_it

jfox/10eon December 16, 2011 @ 9:48 PM:

incase not clear… not being cheeky at all. I hit an AK triple bill at South Bank once. BFI job I think. #epic And sottish oysters not half bad… j

Alien7on December 17, 2011 @ 2:00 AM:

@vanderleun stop your fibbin’ fellas in the US from Cali to NYC are still rollin’ their slimmies and will until the damned things are off the market. “One would think Betts and Bateman would spend a moment measuring each other’s inseam ……” What’s this about did you drink that Hater-aid I saw you sippin’. These guys look like regular nicely dressed, if not a little plain for people in the biz. But that’s OK.
    @jfox I like your story and am waiting for more about Mr. Porter. They have some choice pieces on the site.

Mr. McCallon December 17, 2011 @ 8:09 AM:

I’m not mad at the monk straps.

Larry Thecablecockon December 17, 2011 @ 4:34 PM:

Business up top, party downstairs!

O. Del Orsoon December 17, 2011 @ 11:54 PM:

I’m generally opposed wearing a scarf in any manner that involves tying a knot. It somehow brings a sober, cold-weather outfit into Little Lord Fauntleroy territory. So I’m always keeping my eyes peeled for alternatives. The nonchalant folded drape that Mr. Bateman has going on there is some A+ stuff.

Adam Blackadderon December 18, 2011 @ 6:31 AM:

@O. Del Orso, Absolutely agree. That whole wearing a scarf pulled through the loop thing is vile and way to “football manager” for my liking. Mr Bateman could actually wear his though or it won’t do its job.

reynoldson December 18, 2011 @ 9:17 AM:

@vanderleun great comment, absolutely “spot on”. their jeans (especially rolled up, following the trend of the day) undo the good looks of the upper part. thankfully, they are (or at least seem to be) wearing socks.

Larry Thecablecockon December 18, 2011 @ 11:30 PM:

Lately I’ve been draping a scarf over my head. Sometimes I wrap a scarf around my waist like a Japanese diaper. Then I leave my fly open, and let one end of the scarf dangle out. Keep peeling your eyes, Orso, you’ll be doing it a year from now.

Cyruson December 19, 2011 @ 11:17 AM:

They look stupid, these guys don’t have style, what is this shit? Those grey shoes are gross.

jiheisonon December 19, 2011 @ 2:46 PM:

Its a scarf, which ought to be secured about the neck in some way. Simply draping it precariously across the back of the neck seems much more foppish, as if intended to indicate “there is no chance I will be called upon to do anything vigorous or unexpected.” Of course, a foppish appearance may be the point.

Either one of those guys would probably look fine if he weren’t standing next to the other.

KRHon December 19, 2011 @ 6:13 PM:

Who over the age of 12 uses the word “Gross”? This is a clean and simple look which based on some of the comments above, even someone of you would screw up.

jeffon December 19, 2011 @ 9:06 PM:

They got some style…. but I still have no respect for them, f*cking Brits.

halberstramon December 20, 2011 @ 10:54 AM:

these comments are unreal. a few of you sound like some catty bitches.

Reigson December 20, 2011 @ 12:17 PM:

you guys! *makes dismissive hand movement*

mordechaion December 21, 2011 @ 4:35 PM:

hands in pockets and all buttons fastened….. hmmmm

thepastprotractedon December 22, 2011 @ 10:58 AM:

Funniest. comments. ever.

rufuson December 22, 2011 @ 1:16 PM:

Mr Porter, the antithesis of what I understood ACL to be about. What I’m reading is PAID ADVERTORIAL. Low point Michael Williams.

Michael Williamson December 22, 2011 @ 1:20 PM:

In the old days I would tell you to “fuck off,” but I’ve clearly transcended the need to resort to such childish antics when dealing douche-bag commenters like yourself.

Tuanon December 23, 2011 @ 3:37 AM:

Way to take the high road.

btw. I was at Mishkin’s this past summer.

Rickyon December 23, 2011 @ 11:31 PM:

I don’t get it.. These dudes seem totally fine.

Also, I’ve ordered garb from Mr. Porter twice during their rather large sales and both times the gear arrived promptly and with a bunch of bells & whistles. They’ve got a good thing going and their customer service is spot on.

Stilmagazinon January 4, 2012 @ 2:08 AM:

Cool Story, will give Mr.Porter a try soon.

– Andreas

Sam Lon January 13, 2012 @ 5:33 PM:

nice post. wonder if anyone else has been by Justin Deakin’s new shop in Spittlefields? great guy. great shoes.