— Shameless plugs: follow ACL on TwitterGoogle + and Facebook. —

Comments on “SIGNALS

Kirkon August 22, 2011 @ 1:26 PM:

Luckily I don’t walk the gilded avenues where all of this street-style striving seems to be happening. I live in Denver where dolts wear flip-flops and seed caps to elegant dinners. Personally, I would love to see a few more people trying too hard and a few less people not trying at all. The outside world is not your basement!

Peteron August 22, 2011 @ 1:37 PM:

I think permanent quotes need to be affixed to “street style.” Every time I see that I think of Run-DMC in shell-toes and Cazals. Then I see some Agnelli cousin with hairy ankles, a bad shave and nut-huggers at Pity Woe-mo…

Still, you can get a lot of good ideas and know which bad ones to avoid from the bloggers.

MRon August 22, 2011 @ 2:15 PM:

“Men should be stylish, not fashionable.”
    Michael Drake of Drakes London

ccon August 22, 2011 @ 2:36 PM:

“Related debate: Has globalization ruined street style?” has no link for me. Is it doing this for anybody else?

nicklon August 22, 2011 @ 2:58 PM:

@cc, nope. I don’t see it either. Should be this, most likely,

Aside from that, I just visited my barber in Brooklyn like that guy. I hadn’t seen him in two years while I lived in Jersey. Thankfully wherever I’ve been in the past 10years I’ve found a guy like that. I hope that trend doesn’t fade.

Ray Hullon August 22, 2011 @ 3:15 PM:

All that green marble-pattern Formica and nary a drop of Chardonnay in sight.

Juan Mason August 23, 2011 @ 10:50 PM:

That “street style” piece is precious. I can’t walk down the Abbott Kinney anymore without thinking everyone dressed for the Satorialist, and the classic part is that most of them are strolling with their own camera to collect the “unique” style of others for their own editorial pursuits – The camera perfectly positioned around their outfit as an accessory…complete with a cute leather carrier and a different strap for every look. Somehow, I’m contributing to the madness by tuning into the blogs for inspiration, but it’s getting tired. Shall we close down the web for a season and see if we can bring back individuality? Remember when you opened up your favorite monthly and saw something mind-blowing for the first time. I miss that…

Timon August 23, 2011 @ 11:43 PM:

there is nothing better than finding that perfect barber shop.

kids still have the best fashion sense. they are not impressed by blogs or trying to get on a blog. they only care about how they think they look.

FAMEon August 24, 2011 @ 12:15 AM:

I did not appreciate the bottle opener video until the very end. Hats off to all the fine craftsman out there who still put their sweat and tears into the products they make everyday that better our lives!

Granton August 26, 2011 @ 10:16 AM:

Love how the dude is smoking the entire time.

Socalmoneyon August 26, 2011 @ 7:18 PM:

I was talking with my 16 yo son who asked me “why do we (him and all his friends) all wear the same thing, stupid skinny jeans that don’t even cover our ass, are we stupid or what”? I told him there is only one thing that drives a man/soon to be a man, to wear what he does. He answered back “GIRLS”. For once we were on the same wavelength.

Also love the tight hair on Jimmie Leonard Lawson. Grease all the way. So glad that traditional barbering is coming back.

cabon August 27, 2011 @ 9:38 AM:

If you’ve seen the Sartorialist as I have many times (unfortunately i live and work downtown in the very areas he looks for candidates/suckers for his blog), he looks like a vulture on a bike tracking his next victim. also, an excellent and humorous link of street style as hyped and pretentious nonsense- so predictable look at me look at me people.