Shopping London | Levisons of Cheshire Street

While perusing the madness of Brick Lane in East London a few weeks ago I stopped into the vintage shop called Levisons on Cheshire Street. The tidy little outpost has a nice selection of men’s and women’s vintage on offer with lots of what you’d want from a good British vintage shop — schoolboy scarves, tweedy accessories of every want, country brogues and nearly an entire rack of well worn Barbour coats. Those coats almost almost fall under the classification as ‘tattered’ (and I mean that in the best possible), but considering the way Barbours are made, they will probably last quite a while longer. Everyone working in the shop was welcoming and knowledgeable, making it even more enjoyable to look through every single item on hand and maybe even take some of it home.

Comments on “Shopping London | Levisons of Cheshire Street

Ms.Ghongon July 29, 2011 @ 1:29 PM:

HMMM where do I begin? damn Michael you are one lucky SOB and I mean that in the best possible way I’m drooling with jealousy all the Barbour’s and mothertrucking Brogues holy mother! P.s if you happen to come across a pair of boys Brogues size 3-4 or Boys large-x large Barbour limmi know my 4’10 100lb lil Asian self will thank you unconditionally I hunt all the time for this shit butt alas finding things of that elk fitting for my mutant size nearly impossible p.s thanks for the pixs and post!

StriversRowUSAon July 29, 2011 @ 2:21 PM:

Great find! I especially like the scarves there. How are you finding these places? Just wandering the streets of London, or do you have specific places in mind to visit? Either way, I’m looking forward to seeing more before you ship back stateside.

Ye Ole Generalon July 29, 2011 @ 4:06 PM:

Very cool store. Great pictures. Lovely street. Thanks Michael.

mat bucketson July 29, 2011 @ 6:29 PM:

noting this done for next time im in the area

Smith&Ratliffon July 29, 2011 @ 10:53 PM:

Loving the scarves.

FAMEon July 30, 2011 @ 1:31 AM:

Barbour coats are an investment; just like Burberry trenches and Mackintosh…well…Macks. You pay $400 Cdn for a Barbour coat that will last you at least a decade if not longer!

david popeon July 30, 2011 @ 4:38 AM:

Beautiful post !

Keep them coming.

Adamon July 30, 2011 @ 6:03 AM:

Hornet’s on Kensington Church Street is well worth a visit.

RTon July 30, 2011 @ 4:31 PM:

Despite finding it a pain in the beginning, waxing my Barbour jacket became quite an enjoyable thing to do. As it gets older, they crease and get torn, just like jeans always get torn on the same spots. It’s like clothes tuning in to your type of body and the type of usage you give them. That Barbour next to the labourer coat is pretty nice. It looks like the old type of Barbour:

Chrison July 31, 2011 @ 3:19 AM:

I live down the road from Levisons! Ricky is a top bloke who deff knows his shit when it comes to vintage clothing, music and films!

Good to see you checking out the East End Michael!

dapper danon July 31, 2011 @ 3:11 PM:

Uh oh , The Americans are coming to Shoreditch..Time to move!! Jk..Nice post.

Doyleon July 31, 2011 @ 3:17 PM:

The reason it looks so good and the selection is oh-so-achingly-hip is that it’s obscenely overpriced.

This isn’t how vintage is supposed to work.

egonon August 1, 2011 @ 12:47 AM:

Drooling at the paisley!

Edon August 1, 2011 @ 4:53 AM:

@Doyle, well, if you don’t want to buy quality vintage there are plenty of other vintage stores in the area piled to the rafters with utter junk – and all of it ‘reasonably’ priced at £10.

Quality costs, buddy.

Tom Hemphillon August 1, 2011 @ 8:20 AM:

Great shop. And P.S.: my Barbour is going on 20 years and is wonderfully tattered.

clarkon August 1, 2011 @ 10:33 AM:

vintage is vintage and used is used, it’s really just a matter of language and words but by that alone you can see the price differential. like how anything in new york flea markets, including yesterday’s new york post is an instant “antique”

himel brothers leatheron August 2, 2011 @ 7:13 AM:

Used is relative to value of course…a used Porsche is not the same as a used ford…and a used Shelby Cobra is not the same as a used VW Bug…so runs the world…nice vintage style and selection costs money…the guy doesnt buy it from the vintage fairy…..

himel brothers leatheron August 2, 2011 @ 7:14 AM:

Oh I forgot…what kind of wool blankets were those?

matthew hranekon August 2, 2011 @ 12:49 PM:

George Jefferyon August 7, 2011 @ 6:52 AM:

Levinsons is wonderful, brought all kinds of lovely things in there – the sta-presses are always worth a look!

JohnPon August 8, 2011 @ 3:02 PM:

Hi Michael, don’t know if you’ve come across it but The Vintage Showroom at Seven Dials, London is a great place for unusal pieces but with West End pricing.

JohnPon August 10, 2011 @ 5:44 PM:

Ha ha, I should of known, I’ll always check in future.