Computerized 574s

Yesterday the folks at New Balance launched the company’s new custom 574 program which allows you to take to the internet and create your own specially designed sneakers. Last week we tested out the system at the launch event here in New York and it worked like a snap. In fact it shockingly only took five days for the special 574s (which were sent compliments of New Balance) to show up straight from the New Balance plant in Norridgewock, Maine. In anticipation of the launch of the custom 574 program, New Balance even dispatched a guy named Jake Davis and some other guy named Sean Sullivan to Maine to document the custom make up process at the factory. You can basically design the entire shoe all the way down to the color of the big N and the custom embroidery on the back of each sneaker. The possibilities are endless. [New Balance Custom 574]

Comments on “Computerized 574s

Fashion Minuteon April 6, 2011 @ 12:55 AM:

Shocked that these would work! Searching for a specialized, non-gimmick runner that works for my marathon pronating feet has been a lifelong battle.

Andrewon April 6, 2011 @ 1:13 AM:

And only how many years after NIke iD? For anti-gimmick running kicks Vitruvian Running Shoes of New Hampshire were the best. Sadly they closed shop in January. One of their ads can be seen here:

Alexon April 6, 2011 @ 2:53 AM:

Great color scheme. Are your inner lining and laces white or grey?

Jordanon April 6, 2011 @ 9:37 AM:

This is particularly timely. I was looking at a pair of 574s just the other day thinking they were cool looking and might be a good choice to replace my worn out tennis shoes. I think I may have to buy a pair.

jrauon April 6, 2011 @ 9:44 AM:

I agree that it took them long enough but still glad they did. I have always loved the 574 for its classic look. Time to get some summer kicks! Thanks for posting.

jiheisonon April 6, 2011 @ 2:24 PM:

This would seem to undermine their strategy of releasing a “new”, limited edition collaboration/color scheme every other week. If anybody can get any color combo, there is not caché in owning any particular color combo.

Perhaps they figure that the type who “must cop” the umpteenth gray-on-navy-on-gray NB “drop” is firmly on the hook at this point.

Brianon April 6, 2011 @ 4:17 PM:

I really wish NB would put this kind of thought and effort into their non “Lifestyle” sneakers. With the exception of the 993 and a few others, their “serious” shoes are either 100% made in china, assembled (upper glued to lower) in the usa out of chinese materials, or 80% assembled in the usa (whatever that means) out of who knows what.
    In all honesty, I’m glad NB is still making shoes in the USA and offering the customization option on a classic shoe. I’m probably just ranting because I can’t find a decent Made in USA trail running shoe that’s worth a damn for under $250.

On that note, the last place in the USA that makes good running shoes entirely in the USA:

Ryanon April 6, 2011 @ 11:28 PM:

How did you come to that conclusion? I don’t think their customization options include the more extravagant colors/materials that they generally offer on ther non-custom shoes. Its just like Nike iD, don’t won’t offer the exact colors for you to duplicate an existing model/color scheme that they’ve already previously released.

Timon April 7, 2011 @ 4:44 AM:

beautiful design and color.

Brianon April 7, 2011 @ 7:57 AM:

Pretty cool program.

jasonon April 7, 2011 @ 8:31 AM:

The ‘ohio’ ‘proud’ is the best thing i have ever seen on a shoe. Being raised in ohio is a funny thing, one hates its growing up but is proud of it later. Maybe a little like surviving bootcamp, but with friendly people and lots of fast food chains.

Ramalhonion April 7, 2011 @ 9:55 AM:

I have to find my old N Balance…. it seems they are coming back!!!!! …

Jessica Defineon April 7, 2011 @ 12:12 PM:

my hubs likes to tell the story of how he’s worn new balance since high school when our idiot friends called them “grandpa shoes”. he’s very proud/pissed off they all wear them now. maybe i’ll order a pair with “grandpa” on the left, and “bitches” on the right.

Jessica Defineon April 7, 2011 @ 12:12 PM:

*just “bitch”.

Larry Felittoon April 7, 2011 @ 3:38 PM:

As with Red Wings I’ve always worn these due to their being made in the U.S.A. and attention to those of us with Fred Flinstone feet (just replaced my old NB’s with a brand new pair of 12.5″ 4E 993’s as my B-Day present in November)! Much to my chagrin, and just like RW’s Lifestyle line, the coolest ones don’t come in super wide sizes :-(

But! Like my Iron Rangers that magically “fit” my canoe paddle feet, I’m hoping the 2E custom NB’s will work as well…. ordering mine today thanks for the heads up MW!

david wrighton April 7, 2011 @ 4:56 PM:

new balance manufacture in the uk – Flimby, Cumbria to be exact.Visit the Hanon shop, Aberdeen for the full range.

Alexon April 7, 2011 @ 6:34 PM:

Is your inner liner grey or white?

CTNon April 7, 2011 @ 9:58 PM:

As an Ohioan I have to say these are bad ass.

kyiakron April 23, 2011 @ 11:39 AM:

Why can’t I find a customizable option for a WOMAN ? Unless I am missing something or have the wrong link there is only an option for a MEN’s customizable shoe ? What’s up with that ?