Toast | Autumn Outfitters

Recently I have been sort of enamored by the British brand Toast. To be honest I wasn’t too familiar with the company, but the more I look at it the more I like what I see. I especially enjoyed this orange anorak jacket which I am seriously considering buying. I also am fond of the variety of accessories that Toast has done for fall. The wonderful wool blankets from Canadian maker MacAusland’s Woolen Mills, the flannel “hottie” covers, the Dietz storm lanterns, the chunky knit socks and the awesome glassware (like the bedside flask that is pictured below). Granted the brand is mostly womens and I don’t know if a guy should be wandering around town with a flannel-covered hot water bottle, but I appreciate the aesthetic. That or I am just a sucker for an orange anorak. [Toast]

Comments on “Toast | Autumn Outfitters

Ramalhonion October 26, 2010 @ 7:40 AM:

The bed look so confy. Specially today that I have a bit of a Flu going on!!…

BFon October 26, 2010 @ 7:44 AM:

great to see them mentioned here, i think their mens’ stuff is really nice — even better in person. the photographs of this collection from emma hardy are amazing, too.

Tomon October 26, 2010 @ 8:29 AM:

Great stuff, I love the anorak. Budget source for Dietz lanterns if anyone is going off the grid:

Zackon October 26, 2010 @ 8:32 AM:

Man, so often, when the Brits do it they do it right. Those pieces and photos are beautiful.

Tomon October 26, 2010 @ 8:39 AM:

Sorry that was a bad link, here you go:

Pat Son October 26, 2010 @ 8:51 AM:

Nice, post. This post reminds me of the great original posts that you did in the first year.

Neilon October 26, 2010 @ 8:52 AM:

Alternatively, get one of these for the equivalent of about USD30 and dye it any colour you like, including orange. Toast have done an excellent job of copying this utility garment. I expect the new one will be at least as windproof and water-absorbent as an original. Remember to waterproof it if you want to try and remain toasty dry.

Robert@AmericanAntleron October 26, 2010 @ 9:23 AM:

I really enjoy the products that TOAST offers. I saw mention of them in a British home magazine (House&Garden, I think.) and I then visited their site. Beautiful stuff. Being a knitter myself, I was thrilled to see the same aesthetic in some of the items I have made–like the knit scarves and pillow covers….and, I am actually working on a knitted bathmat.
    Cool post.

JonIndia™on October 26, 2010 @ 10:09 AM:

MW, the bedroom picture looks sick. The shadows, the colors, perfect shot. Start selling some ACL posters. haha

Readon October 26, 2010 @ 10:29 AM:

What an awesome company. It seems like they make what they want, exactly how they want to. The end result is a unique brand that has the balls to make an orange anorak despite every other color in their product line being muted. I really appreciate it when a brand sticks it to consistency like that.

R.H. Englishon October 26, 2010 @ 10:38 AM:

I am always skeptical of brands that lack a long history when it comes to this genre but there’s something very nice about this company. simple, not overdone – but well done.

Carson Chittomon October 26, 2010 @ 10:56 AM:

Toast may be a good brand/company, but “prisoner jumpsuit orange” is an unfortunate color choice for just about anybody.

Stephen Hoganon October 26, 2010 @ 11:45 AM:

Nice work on the MacAusland’s Woolen Mills shout out. Great blankets made in a great place, Prince Edward Island Canada.

Larryon October 26, 2010 @ 1:41 PM:

The COTTON FLANNEL DJELLABA looks like the perfect item for Minnesota Winter Nights… but that Jesus of Nazareth (Robert Powell) like model is creeping me out.

JLSLCon October 26, 2010 @ 2:38 PM:

Why not “prisoner jumpsuit orange”, given all the chambray and denim?

Hopping Frogon October 26, 2010 @ 3:38 PM:

I love this. The products are cool. The website is cool. But the most intriguing thing to me is the model. To choose someone older and distinguished as opposed to the typical 22 year old is brilliant. Could be the start of a new trend. I’m certainly going to steal it.

Don October 26, 2010 @ 4:48 PM:

fab new menswear line … re Lanterns, pretty certain they’re Feuerhand from Germany, with Suprax glass … Toast has a cult following in the UK … started w/fancy knitwear, then in 1997 morphed into a simple pyjama mail order co, and soon evolved into madly coveted stuff you see today … menswear a natural progression … the founders are a married couple w/incredibly keen design sensibilities, total dreamweavers, imho, of course …!

TMHon October 26, 2010 @ 6:40 PM:

Love the anorak and the lantern

Andrew M.on October 26, 2010 @ 9:23 PM:

That wool jacket at the bottom has something of the silhouette you get with a Barbour (even though the sleeves are not raglan, the popped collar really makes the shoulders “roll”), the simplicity of a chore coat, and the literary cool of a blazer. The perfect jacket?

Margaret Corriganon October 26, 2010 @ 10:50 PM:

Isn’t TOAST the best ? I’ve been such a fan for years ! Their catalogues are so sumptuous and dreamy. And yes you’re right it was mainly a women’s catalogue for years and just recently has introduced a men’s line. It has changed it for me a bit but I’m ok with the men’s stuff ’cause they’re really handsome, interesting men. I love how each year they tell a story in a different part of the world. Beautiful. I’ve done a few posts on my blog about them. Come by and check them out !

Johnon October 27, 2010 @ 1:22 AM:

That lead photo looks like Saddam Hussein wearing an orange prison jumpsuit. How unfortunate.

spqron October 27, 2010 @ 7:41 AM:

Looks like director Ridley Scott to me….

Brennanon October 27, 2010 @ 12:14 PM:

Great article and photos on and awesome looking brand.

Jasonon October 28, 2010 @ 4:27 AM:

There is a Toast store in my hometown (Cheltenham, UK) and I can vouch for the quality of a lot of their products – especially the homeware. I bought one of their Welsh blankets last year and it looks great.

Jason@antikmodernon October 28, 2010 @ 7:10 AM:

There are a few images of Toast table mats up on my site if anyone is interested…
    I’m not sure if they have any left but you can check their website:-

Karlon October 29, 2010 @ 9:46 AM:

That Anorac is a beautiful copy of the old swedish army winter anorac!

Nellon October 29, 2010 @ 12:52 PM:

I love TOAST, they always win me over with their catalog images and interesting home goods like their towels. I have ordered from them as well, their shipping was easy and not expensive to the US.