The New 1939 L.L. Bean Moccasins

If this page of L.L. Bean’s 1939 catalog doesn’t inspire someone (hopefully Bean itself) to remake at least two of the three pairs of footwear pictured, I am going to be very disappointed. Requirements: 1. shoes must be made from Horween (Elk) leather (though I don’t think such a thing exists. Nick if you are out there chime in) and 2. must be handsewn in Maine. Anyone that does this, let me know and I will personally flog said boots until you sell at least 100 pairs.

Comments on “The New 1939 L.L. Bean Moccasins

Brian Davison October 18, 2010 @ 11:32 PM:

Endless archives. Alex Carleton must feel like a kid in a candy store every season. Great post!

Michael Williamson October 18, 2010 @ 11:33 PM:

Brian, yes, I bet he does. This 1939 catalog is a real gem, I’m going to post it one page at a time so we can all savor it.

Andreaon October 19, 2010 @ 12:00 AM:

I have a vague recollection of buying moosehide mocs from Beans back in the ’70s. Can this possibly be right?

Matton October 19, 2010 @ 12:28 AM:

This would be doubly fantastic if it included the above-mentioned option to convert to a Bean Boot and back to a moccasin biannually.

Jeremyon October 19, 2010 @ 1:25 AM:

I actually just bought a pair of LL Bean boots very similar to those from the 50’s. They are great. They still make a moc-boot thing that’s like a chopped version of those boots, but they aren’t nearly as rugged.

TMHon October 19, 2010 @ 3:58 AM:

Change up for Winter! Like Grandpas
    snow tires on the Impala.

papa nuion October 19, 2010 @ 7:02 AM:

The mocs are fantastic and I would gladly purchase these if they ever became available. It never ceases to amaze me that companies with such a rich heritage always fail to see the greatness they are sitting on, revisiting some of their past glories would certainly make a lot of people very very happy.

Ramalhonion October 19, 2010 @ 7:02 AM:

The boots look gr8, I’de buy a pair. And I’m sure that lots of guys here in Europe would also.
    They have a kind of Alden Indy Boot going on on the bottom!!!…
    The mocs are also very nice!!…..

danon October 19, 2010 @ 7:55 AM:

In the meantime, you can drool over Yuketen’s Superior Hunt Boots. It’s about as close as you’ll get at the moment (and I’ve never seen these at any retailers). Maybe they could find a spot in the ACL shop?

Jonason October 19, 2010 @ 8:28 AM:

Elk season is about to open in Washington state so you may get your wish.
    They look like Irish setter bottoms on hunting shoe tops. A rat-rod boot!
    I wonder if anyone actually did the big switcheroo they were marketing? I would have to have a second pair just to get me through the turnaround.

Anna Allenon October 19, 2010 @ 9:10 AM:

I wish LL Bean would make a version for women!

Readon October 19, 2010 @ 9:51 AM:

I’ll take them for $2.75… Hell, I’ll even take them for $275!

Nick Horweenon October 19, 2010 @ 11:12 AM:

No Elk – how about some Bison? I’ll be sitting by my phone all day, just in case Bean wants to make any moves.

Kevinon October 19, 2010 @ 11:24 AM:

very nice. i just picked up the new LL Bean Maine Lodge cap toe boots over the weekend. totally love them.

K.A. Adamson October 19, 2010 @ 1:13 PM:

Those mocs on the bottom are interesting it almost looks like they have Belgian style soles rather than hard rubber

Peteron October 19, 2010 @ 2:18 PM:

Think I’d need a discreet side zip…I already can’t be bothered to lace up my Bean boots and they’re only 8″ tall.

I’d be happy to buy just about anything from LLB featured in a pre 1975 catalog.

Joeon October 20, 2010 @ 10:47 AM:

Anyone know if it’s easy to remove the Bean logo from the back of the boots? Will it damage the boot?

Jonason October 20, 2010 @ 4:46 PM:

Check out the new Whites Vintage boot. Made in Spokane, Wa with Horween hides.

Lucason October 21, 2010 @ 12:52 PM:

Those 10in ones are sweet!!!! The top of a bean boot sewn onto a moccasin bottom!! YES PLEASE!

Brianon October 22, 2010 @ 8:42 AM: