Camping Fjällräven Style

Team Fjällräven heading for the mountains of Mott Street.

The folksie crew from the Swedish label Fjällräven (pictured above) opened their New York store (the company’s only American outpost) last November on Mott Street, bringing much of their outdoor-centric gear to the States for the first time. Coming up on the store’s one year anniversary Fjällräven (who is a client of my marketing company Paul + Williams) got together with Jeff Thrope of Cold Splinters fame to refresh the space with all sorts of camping essentials and cool gear to compliment Fjällräven’s Greenland Jackets, G-1000 waxed clothing, packs, tents and other Scandinavian equipment. Basically the store stocks everything you need to have an adventure — and all in one place. I think Jay Carroll put it best when he called the Fjällräven US team “outdoor nerds.” I’ll go ahead and add that they are now “retail nerds” too, since they definitely know how to create an interesting store environment.  [Fjällräven | 262 Mott Street, NYC]

Comments on “Camping Fjällräven Style

Jon Gaffneyon October 7, 2010 @ 1:49 PM:

Those knives are very cool. Fjallraven’s stuff is wicked classic, dig all of it.

Reubenon October 7, 2010 @ 2:31 PM:

I love this post, almost as much as my blue Kanken, filthy from trips all over the Cali outdoors. Any details on (what appears to be) the wool blanket roll at the bottom of the last photo?

Memoon October 7, 2010 @ 2:42 PM:

@Reuben That is a US Army wool blanket. You can find them easily at military surplus stores both on and offline.

This store always looks great. I often walk past it and have ventured in twice. Both times I was the only person in the store and received no attention. The employees just sat behind the big wall of backpacks talking on the phone without paying attention to their merchandise or their customers.

Ryanon October 7, 2010 @ 3:31 PM:

The new dressing room is extremely cool (behind the tree and below the tent on the wall). Andrea and Johan are very genuine and kind people, their hard work has paid off. Shop looks Amazing!

frank pepeon October 7, 2010 @ 3:57 PM:

i have the expedition parka and it is outstanding. the red is a bit bright though for me. good store and gear

Sinuheon October 7, 2010 @ 6:00 PM:

The Gransfors Bruks axes are incredibly well made. Hand forged by craftsmen that stamp their initials on the head of the axe.

One of the best outdoor purchases I’ve ever made.

Jake Ton October 7, 2010 @ 9:14 PM:

picked their stuff up in Innsbruck in 2002 and have been waiting for it to come to the US.

Philon October 8, 2010 @ 1:19 AM:

It’s funny how roughing it has become a trend for those who don’t rough it. Isn’t it? Or am I the only one here? I mean, are hog farmers going to be the next McQueen? That may be pushing it fellas. I mean, my father is nothing like him, but he does have some vintage sunglasses that are pretty cool. I think they’re military issue too!

Matton October 8, 2010 @ 7:40 AM:

I love those axes. I received the small hunting axe (in the fifth picture, hanging on the wall) as a groomsman present years ago. Wonderful item.

For Micheal and the rest of you folks, I wanted to share a great store in Asheville, NC the wife and I stumbled across. The Old North State ( They focus on quality, American made goods. Heck, their slogan is ‘Nothing Made in China – Period!’. They are great people that like quality-made mercantile. Check them out if you are down that way.

Himelon October 8, 2010 @ 8:27 AM:

lol nice addition of coleman gear..i am always partial to the blue enameled dish sets…the only heavy stuff I take camping myself

jbjoneson October 8, 2010 @ 8:52 AM:

Gransfors Bruks. Me liiiikey

Yaunon October 8, 2010 @ 11:46 AM:

Granfors Bruks axes are wonderful and justfiably get plenty of attention, but they are also expensive. Of equal quality and less sticker shock are Wetterlings axes.

Great looking shop!!!

Pon October 8, 2010 @ 12:42 PM:

I’m not a fan of the ubiquitous branding. Its *almost* as bad as Moncler.

I’m sticking with my vintage blue REI down hooded jacket. (DEATH TO BRANDING!!)

Garyon October 8, 2010 @ 2:44 PM:

Anyone interested in camping/outdoor gear with emphasis on function over aesthetics should check out

This also reinforces my thesis about technical/tactical/outdoor/military gear being the next phase of “americana” (although Fjallraven isn’t exactly “made in USA”)

doaneon October 8, 2010 @ 5:43 PM:

What was the flag on the wall constructed out of?

Michael Williamson October 8, 2010 @ 5:46 PM:

The flag is made from Kanken backpacks. Took them four hours to make it.

James Leonardon October 8, 2010 @ 6:01 PM:

This looks amazing!

Readon October 9, 2010 @ 12:14 PM:

Where is Lopsang?!?

Tehme Melckon October 10, 2010 @ 8:13 AM:

Oh no, not Fjellräven. So Swedish, so boring.

Jonskyon October 10, 2010 @ 9:55 PM:

Not a bad store design at all. Kinda reminds me of a Timberland store a little bit.

Conrad Ankeron October 12, 2010 @ 4:18 AM:

OMG, the store looks amazing, sexier outdoor store have I never seen! Actually, have I ever seen a sexy outdoor store, don´t think so! Brillian!

Rogeron October 12, 2010 @ 4:34 AM:

Someone know what they are doing, manage to have a old, sleepy swedish brand as Fjallraven to look this good, is a job well done!