From the Desk of… Esquire’s Nick Sullivan

From the Desk of… is a window into the world and workspace of some of ACL’s most stylish friends.

It has been more than a year since the last time installment of this series, one of ACL’s most popular. Up until two weeks ago I just wasn’t very inspired to ask anyone to participate. That was until I had a chat with Esquire Fashion Director Nick Sullivan during fashion week. Nick is an avid collector, eBay obsessive (like myself) and has such a great sense of style that he is the perfect fit for this series. Thankfully he was was willing to let me come by his office in the Hearst Tower and poke around for an hour or so and tell me all about all of the great things in his office. It is always a interesting experience to get a look into the creative environment of someone as cool and talented as Nick.

If you are a collector of obscure style books or Edwardian clothing, there is a good chance you are going head-to-head with Mr. Sullivan. The office houses more than a few examples of Nick’s eBay wins, plus a treasure trove of great other stuff and everything has a story. It’s no wonder Esquire (and the Big Black Book) looks as stylish as it does.

Comments on “From the Desk of… Esquire’s Nick Sullivan

Andreaon September 24, 2010 @ 1:51 AM:

It’s all absolutely wonderful, and if he ever has a yard sale, I’m there. But if that eentsy tweed jacket suddenly goes missing…well, I know *nothing* about it!

Weirdly, I was looking at exactly the same postcard on the Tautz site earlier this week.

HBon September 24, 2010 @ 8:50 AM:

things that caught my eye, classic wooden boat photo, airplane models, watch with military band, a diverse collection.

Tayloron September 24, 2010 @ 8:58 AM:

Its really nice to know there are other people out there that collect stuff like that. Not that I really thought I was the only one, just kinda one of the only sane ones. It is an amazingly diverse and interesting collection too, sweet post.

Jason W. Deanon September 24, 2010 @ 9:32 AM:

I love the boxes labelled “Whatsits” and “Things.” I also think Myron Reducto would love that tiny jacket!

TMHon September 24, 2010 @ 10:16 AM:

Really love this post

JWon September 24, 2010 @ 10:39 AM:

Oof, goodbye, dreams. He’s got beautiful stuff and a great view, but these pics reminded me that even when you’ve got an awesome magazine job, you’re still stuck in a frickin’ office all day.

ImpovedModifiedon September 24, 2010 @ 10:49 AM:

Nice! I’ve missed these posts… Hope to see more of them

(And I second JW’s cynical comment)

lineage of influenceon September 24, 2010 @ 11:03 AM:

Fantastic post and a fantastic space too, I need a workspace like this.

ESEon September 24, 2010 @ 11:34 AM:

Like it all but the plastic cup…

Readon September 24, 2010 @ 12:07 PM:

Nice imperial nod.

Who is that guy in the fez?

MUvementon September 24, 2010 @ 12:11 PM:

Fabulous work space. What caught my eye is the bright decor sculptures that adds elegance to the office! Loooove it!

AdamFitzon September 24, 2010 @ 12:22 PM:

I’d love to hear some of the stories behind these objects. Any way to add some descriptions along with the images?

AdamFitzon September 24, 2010 @ 12:24 PM:

Oh, and are those David Rees sharpened pencils? I hear those things are sharp as shit and artisanal as fuck. : )

Michaelon September 24, 2010 @ 12:38 PM:

Amazing use of space, everything in its place. Absolutely perfect.

Michaelon September 24, 2010 @ 1:14 PM:

I covet that Easter Island moai photo.

nick sullivanon September 24, 2010 @ 2:08 PM:

Glad i tidied the place up first. Thanks Michael !
    Some notes on a few objects for those who – like me – like a bit of provenance to their junk….

Pencils: by Ferrari (no really)
    Black Pouch with VR badge is 1880s British officers (not sure of regt) chest belt pouch
    Wooden box is 20th Hussars cigarette box (1930s).
    Pewter Mug: I dug out of sea bed when snorkelling as a teenager in Dorset. Roughly 1750-1850
    Crest in frame: Gieves and Hawkes sample of hand embroidery done (on a t-shirt) by the two old ladies who still (untill recently) did all the bullion embroidery for Gieves and Hawkes military customers.
    Plastic Gorillaz figures and Smoking Joe Stalin bust from Kid Robot (NYC)
    Gold frogged military jacket and chest belt is circa 1890-1900 Royal Horse Artillery Lt’s tunic
    Bloke in Fez is Lord Kitchener (from “Celebrities of the Army” a large book full of manch such portraits and published just after the Boer War (c 1902)…four or five on ebay right now.
    Black Boars Head is a wooden match holder and striker from the Black Forest in Germany (i still dont know why i bought that)
    Mini Tweed Jacket is a pr gimmick from Harris Tweed Association (if i remember)
    Pocketwatch is circa 1900 by John Forrest still works, but i have mislaid the key.

AdamFitzon September 24, 2010 @ 5:04 PM:

Wow! Thanks Nick! That adds a whole new dimension to these images. Really appreciate you taking the time to put that info out there. The pewter cup is an amazing find.

Small Town Boyon September 24, 2010 @ 5:45 PM:

Nice ‘stache on Fez guy.

Halberstramon September 24, 2010 @ 6:03 PM:

Nick – have you seen Breaker Morant? re: Lord Kitchener.

Ben Bowerson September 24, 2010 @ 7:50 PM:

Thought those looked like the Gorrillaz. Great stuff here and even cooler knowing it’s in the amazing Hearst building.

Rollergirlon September 25, 2010 @ 2:26 PM:

I assisted him once on a Gieves shoot. Nice guy (and v handsome).

chadon September 25, 2010 @ 6:47 PM:

Having spent the past 7 years of my life pushing Kidrobot forward in the world and being an avid ACL reader for the past few years, and an avid Esquire reader for much, much longer, it is very nice to see someone of such high regard mixing newer pieces of toy culture with such great vintage pieces. Super cool.

PS. I always love these Desk posts. Truly insightful.

steveon September 27, 2010 @ 11:03 AM:

Does anyone know the bracelet Nick is wearing on his left wrist, above his watch?

nick sullivanon September 27, 2010 @ 11:40 AM:

Hi there its by a jeweller called Michael Andrew Saiger and the name MIANSAI is a corruption of his name. See link below.

Michael Williamson September 27, 2010 @ 11:42 AM:

Thanks Nick. I think Mr. Saiger is going to move a few of those thanks to you. Great stuff. —MW

michaelnineon September 30, 2010 @ 11:24 AM:

Nick: The photograph of the two gentlemen with the Easter Island Maoi statue pinned to your wall – may I ask where it’s from?

nick sullivanon September 30, 2010 @ 1:10 PM:

Erm…i dont remember. Would you like a scan of it?

michaelnineon September 30, 2010 @ 2:36 PM:

Nick: Yes and please. (And thank you!)

If email is an option:

HBon October 3, 2010 @ 3:38 PM:

hey Nick, watch band…Maratac?

nick sullivanon October 4, 2010 @ 1:42 PM:

Hi the actual Grey/Black stripe watch band is Nato G10 strap from West Coast Time

The claret and navy Guards band (no watch) is Miansai as above.

Best NS

John S. McDaniel IIIon October 5, 2010 @ 11:44 AM:

Thanks for the info Nick, Great blog Michael. I always look forward to it. By the way,( not to make you jealous or anything) I’m heading to Africa with my buddy Audwin Oct 21. I’ll try to get you some pics.