Carryalls from Canoe Country

Recently I purchased a bag from Frost River in Duluth, Minnesota. When the bag arrived I was pleasantly surprised how nice it was, though it was a bit larger than I had anticipated. I emailed the company and very painlessly exchanged the original bag for a slightly smaller option. As expected, the folks at Frost River couldn’t have been more nice, which seems to be a common thread amongst Minnesotans.

It does seem that some Frost River offerings are similar in shape and material to other Minnesota bag makers, though Frost River does a great job of differentiating itself with many of its products.  Speaking of, Frost River has a ton of different items in its line. Everything from bicycle panniers to goods for the “cabin” and beyond. I especially like the Waxed Canvas Pistol Rugs and the Ash Baskets.  The company does all of its own sourcing and manufacturing, and offers a great value for money. [Frost River official site + product photos]

Comments on “Carryalls from Canoe Country

Simon Harrisonon August 31, 2010 @ 8:17 AM:

Very nice bags neatly photographed. Our very own Ray Mears would be jealous although I’m sure I’ve seen him fashion those baskets before. Like the batman oar too …

Duane Buckneron August 31, 2010 @ 8:52 AM:

Commence bag desire.

Tedon August 31, 2010 @ 9:54 AM:

Really like the pack on the bike saddle

Eva / Sycamore Street Presson August 31, 2010 @ 11:20 AM:

These are all so great. Plus, if I got one, I think my husband would actually be glad to carry my “handbag” for me.

Loopyon August 31, 2010 @ 1:13 PM:

Nice bags, but I wish Frost River would leave off the big oval logo patch. Duluth and Hulme do the same thing on many of their bags and it cheapens them to my eyes. And Michael, you should google “Minnesota nice”…. Just kidding, Mpls…

Hazeyon August 31, 2010 @ 2:21 PM:

the bags are great. really. where can i find that hat in the canoe?

Peteron August 31, 2010 @ 2:23 PM:

Bicycle seat bag FTW. Looks great with the vintage Brooks.

Eric Channing Breweron August 31, 2010 @ 2:41 PM:

Now looking forward to a fall camping trip!

wheelmanon August 31, 2010 @ 3:32 PM:

Great scoop. Cool company, excellent bags – and they are built to be abused. Pass these on to your kids. Cool to see a canoe & portage company open up the inventory with randonneur oriented cycling gear.

Jonason August 31, 2010 @ 4:17 PM:

Wow! Super nice. And just when I am in the market for new carry on luggage. I was looking at Orvis and Filson, but I am liking the style of these. I dont mind the oval thingy, If I did I would just use a razor blade and cut the stitching, have an oval made with my initials on it at the local saddle shop and sew it on in place.

arion August 31, 2010 @ 4:24 PM:

How do these bags compare with Duluth in terms of construction quality?

Anyone have experience with both brands and prefer one over another?

Donald A Tavares-Donovanon August 31, 2010 @ 4:34 PM:

Wich one did you go with Michael? I love the old #. 7

Craigon August 31, 2010 @ 5:26 PM:

Midewest is Best

Leoon September 1, 2010 @ 6:45 AM:

Bags for real men.

ATTWon September 1, 2010 @ 2:18 PM:

The illustration of their bags is cool at the website. Although it’s kinda hard to tell the real products going to look, it really show the feel of the bags. Plus the prices are very reasonable.

Jayon September 1, 2010 @ 4:24 PM:

Oh, where to start… the bags and the shelters/tents. Glad to find an American Company still putting out cool outdoor gear.

Thanks for “mining” for this stuff. I always look forward to seeing what you come up with.

chrison September 1, 2010 @ 7:14 PM:

I love these bags! nice choice. I’d like to replace a belstaff bag with something a bit more durable. Which size/model did you get? top photo?

xtimxon September 1, 2010 @ 8:59 PM:

hunting orange back pack, rifle case and the woven ash basket pack. super cool and super reasonably priced. excellent company to know about.

lawlerconon September 2, 2010 @ 9:31 AM:

you can do custom orders and ask them to not put the patch on your bag, they’ll do this just as duluth also gets a lot of requests for this.

Cagneyon September 21, 2010 @ 8:44 PM:

I use the book pack for college and it’s great. Get caught in the rain and your books and homework stay dry plus get tons of compliments. Really well made.