Made in Chicago | Oxxford Clothes

The good people at Oxxford Clothes have put together a short film documenting the process of making what many think to be America’s finest tailored clothing. If there were any question as to Oxxford’s quality and make, the company dispels all doubt with the “Anatomy of the Suit” section of its website. It seems clear that Oxxford has set the standard for making heirloom-quality-goods. I own quite a few suits, but sadly none of them are made by Oxxford. This needs to change.

Thanks to Michael for the tip.

Comments on “Made in Chicago | Oxxford Clothes

Brian Parkon August 29, 2010 @ 1:24 PM:

That voiceover drove me nuts a bit.

Tedon August 29, 2010 @ 7:32 PM:

Extremely cool.

Jayon August 29, 2010 @ 7:35 PM:

Quality in America needs to come back and STAY. It’s the only way we’ll compete and survive.

ericon August 29, 2010 @ 9:06 PM:

i’m sure oxxford makes a great suit, but after watching this, i’d feel bad ordering one based on all the “pain” that seems to be involved. i just want a suit. i don’t want to hurt anybody.

Fayon August 29, 2010 @ 9:49 PM:

I wanna work there.

Caleb Gardneron August 30, 2010 @ 12:27 AM:

Yes! Love it when Chicago gets some much deserved attention. Oxxford is fantastic.

MaroonHoosieron August 30, 2010 @ 12:41 AM:

Oxxford is former IL-gov (and recently convicted felon) Rod Blagojevich’s favorite- he spent $205k there in seven years!

Michael Williamson August 30, 2010 @ 12:45 AM:

Good point MaroonHoosier. I read that a while back and remember being astonished that man with hair like that can have such good taste in clothing.

MaroonHoosieron August 30, 2010 @ 1:11 AM:

Thanks, Michael- I just read the Bush/J. Press nonsense on the previous thread, so for balance let me mention that Obama’s favorite suit-maker, fellow Chicago company Hartmarx, is doing well after nearly going under a year ago: Another American brand from your List worth noting, HSM can fairly easily be found in vintage stores for a song throughout the Midwest…

Michael Williamson August 30, 2010 @ 1:18 AM:

MaroonHoosier — another good point. My first suit was a HSM. And it is a perfect choice for President Obama — IMHO. I remember when things were up in the air for the company and posted this:

Glad to see things are on the up and up. Thanks for your insight and contribution here. -MW

Joshuaon August 30, 2010 @ 4:04 PM:

When you have a spare moment, could you please explain why you think a HSM suit is the perfect choice for Obama. For the record I’m not a fawning sycophant of celebrities at all, just very curious.

Last, I don’t know a heck of a lot about suits.

jcon August 30, 2010 @ 4:42 PM:

There are many, many independent tailoring shops all over. So I don’t get what all the fuss is about. Why would I want to go to NYC or Chicago to have a suit made?
    I’m currently having a suit made for me (entirely by hand) at a shop down the street from where I grew up (now I live about ten miles away). Look up Joseph Centofanti. The material I chose is by Scabal. The same guy that measured me will cut the fabric and sew the seams.
    Support your local shops too, folks.

Suiton August 30, 2010 @ 9:53 PM:

A pre owned oxxford is a great investment. I have several and they are my favorites.

Michael Williamson August 30, 2010 @ 9:58 PM:

Joshua — I think HSM is perfect for Obama because:

1. It is made in Chicago
    2. AHSM suit is not as expensive / fancy as an Oxxford suit
    3. Union made
    4. American styling. Notch lapels, single vent
    5. HSM are more of a “working man’s” suit (IMHO)

julianon August 31, 2010 @ 5:58 PM:

i find it ironic that such fine suits are made in, what is without a doubt, the worst dressed major city in north america.

Pavelon September 1, 2010 @ 10:17 AM:

Made in USA clothing is the new trend to follow
    Check the made in USA Collection of the Brooklyn Circus
    This is my favorite style

Mark E. Seitelmanon September 3, 2010 @ 9:32 AM:

To Michael Williams:

Oxxford is also a union shop.

I agree that Hart is more of a working man’s suit (actually a middle manager’s suit), however, the President does not look very presidential in Hart. He looks a bit ordinary. He would look better in Oxxford or a handmade custom suit. But, it could be politically problematic for him to be a regular Oxxford customer. (E.g., Blago connection.)

What the President wears is not of great concern to me as long as what he wears is proper and is American made.

Gioon September 16, 2010 @ 1:08 PM:

Chicago is the worst dressed city in North America? Clearly you have never visited Los Angeles. Nice try Julian.