Men’s Journal Guide to Jeans

The gents at Men’s Journal tapped me to write a nice, big, front-of-book denim package for their September issue. If there is anything I love to write about it is denim, and this story was a lot of fun. May I suggest you go analog and pick up a copy, it’s on newsstands now.

Comments on “Men’s Journal Guide to Jeans

Tedon August 18, 2010 @ 10:36 PM:

On my way to the Piggly Wiggly to pick up a copy in the morning.
    Will be good beach reading.

Markon August 18, 2010 @ 10:39 PM:

Already got my copy and read that article. Nice job! Good info…

jasonon August 19, 2010 @ 1:01 AM:

I still need to pick one up. Not that the demographic that wears saggy jeans will probably pick up a copy of men’s journal, but I hope it covers buying jeans that properly fit.

J.P.on August 19, 2010 @ 1:02 AM:

Already got my copy and read the article. I thought to myself, wow that was a great article and then I saw you wrote it in the corner! LOL. Nice job.

stevieon August 19, 2010 @ 2:08 AM:

the dramatic shots of a print layout have transcended the shitty portfolio website

Markon August 19, 2010 @ 2:57 AM:

Looks interesting.
    What about your foreign followers, who don’t have a chance of ‘going analog’.
    Can you publish a copy online?

Greetings from Denmark

Michael Williamson August 19, 2010 @ 3:00 AM:

Mark — when Men’s Journal puts the story online I will update with the link. Thanks for reading.

Faustoon August 19, 2010 @ 8:21 AM:

I subscribe to MJ and I read that article last night…excellent piece! I will now go get in the ocean with my jeans on.

Rickon August 19, 2010 @ 8:42 AM:

I’m with JP. The whole time I was reading it I thought it was really well put together article. When I saw it was written by you it made it even better.

Great Job.

Granton August 19, 2010 @ 9:30 AM:

Right on — that magazine is sitting by a chair just four feet from me. I will look at the denim article first. Nice work.

The Dudeon August 19, 2010 @ 9:51 AM:

Picked up the real deal at B&N yesterday. Good read.

Davidon August 19, 2010 @ 11:01 AM:

Levis 501 button fly in black or dark blue, the end.

BalsamLakeon August 19, 2010 @ 11:03 AM:

If only they had tapped you to write their style and design cover story. The writer of that section was lacking one thing: taste. The watches were downright hideous.

dan son August 19, 2010 @ 11:21 AM:

Can you please explain the crotch test?

If what “crack” is visible? Butt in back?

Looking down at crotch in front?

Shawnon August 19, 2010 @ 1:36 PM:

Will be getting a copy today and reading on the flight back to the mother-land.

Popeyeon August 19, 2010 @ 2:00 PM:

Nothing for us older gents ? Is there an age after which jeans are not appropriate , or is it that we fall outside of the magazines demographics .

Jayon August 19, 2010 @ 3:51 PM:

I’m with Popeye. I’m 50 but young at heart. That being said, I don’t want to buy jeans that are for old men but I don’t want to look like I’m trying to re-live my teens. I’d love to be able to pull-off wearing classic 501’s but I’m afraid those says are long gone. Suggestions?

ryanon August 19, 2010 @ 3:52 PM:

Just ran out to the local Duane Reade (I know, sad) to get my copy. Excellent work. I especially appreciate tips for “normal” guy bodies and how a great fit makes so much difference. Kudos!

Michael Williamson August 19, 2010 @ 4:03 PM:

Popeye / Jay — when you say “older guys” do you mean bigger guys? I feel like a guy of any age can wear the 501. Glenn O’Brien wears them and looks cool, and, while I don’t want to call him “old” — he is not 20.

If you can, explain more what you are looking for and I am happy to try and help. — MW

Jayon August 19, 2010 @ 4:24 PM:

That’s a fair question. I’m 6’1, 235, with a 37″ waste. I have never considered myself big and I’m not fat or heavy but I am beefier than I used to be. My previous experience with 501’s probably had more to do with how the shape of my body has changed as I’ve aged. Too tight in the thighs. The compromise is the 505 BUT when I wear them I feel like I look like an old man. (The chipie working at the Levis store suggested them because 505’s are what her dad wears – ugh!)

I t

Dcharleson August 19, 2010 @ 5:52 PM:

Picked it up today and will check it out tonite!!!! Before I pick up some new jeans……

Matton August 19, 2010 @ 6:17 PM:

I read this Wednesday night and thought “Hey, they are stealing ideas from the Continuous Lean guy!” Guess I should have read the by-line!

Mikeon August 19, 2010 @ 8:07 PM:

Got mine in the mail last Thursday and really enjoyed the piece. Much appreciated.

Samon August 20, 2010 @ 9:00 AM:

Congrats Mike! Great article!

snappyon August 20, 2010 @ 10:28 AM:

There is nothing more classic and versatile than denim. I don’t know of anyone who can’t pull it off in one way or another. Great article, thanks! Very snappy.
    snappy x

Popeyeon August 20, 2010 @ 11:12 AM:

When I say older guys , I mean exactly that , like mid fifties .
    I agree that “authentic” jeans like 501’s would work .
    I favor Carhartt Style # B13: Men’s Washed Denim Work Dungaree .
    Maybe you can do an article on the subject for Esquire .

Billon August 22, 2010 @ 9:08 AM:

Nice article. And MJ did a great job designing it. Here’s my problem with 501s. It’s a classic no doubt, but I’m 6’4” and when the 501 has a length of 34 or 36 the tapering is just waaaay too pronounced.

ritcheeon August 22, 2010 @ 12:46 PM:

I’m 61 years old – I weigh 162 pounds, 6 feet tall and I love Kicking Mule Workshop 1950 style one wash.

Tedon August 22, 2010 @ 3:15 PM:

Hey Jay. I’m 44 6’2 38w best fit lately is levis 514 slim
    people always ask if I’ve lost weight.

Billon August 23, 2010 @ 8:56 PM:

514 is it.

Jayon August 24, 2010 @ 3:22 PM:

I’ll give the 514’s a try. Just ordered a pair of 501 Shrink to Fits (stores don’t carry them in the 40/36 needed to allow for shrinkage). Who knows.

Enzoon August 27, 2010 @ 10:16 AM:

I got my mag today. Nicely put together. I think those Uniqlo’s are made in China. There is no way you can make, ship from Japan, pay tariffs, oh and put mark up for $40, no way!

JBon August 30, 2010 @ 11:14 AM:

Good article.

A few things I found odd:

1. You (MW- or was it your editor) state that one should never spend more than $200 on jeans, yet you yourself mentioned in a previous post on ACL that you have no issue spending $300+ on jeans, based on the cost per wear (ex: Jean Shop).

2. You gave mention to that brand that rhymes with ABC. Thought you had issue with said brand?