Sturdy American Bags from J.W. Hulme

One of my favorite bag companies out there is Minnesota’s J.W. Hulme. The company makes classic looking canvas and leather bags, plus a variety of different accessories. It is one of those rare brands that I want one of everything from. I was introduced to the bags years ago, when they supplied carry-alls to Orvis. The two have since gone their separate ways in what I believe to be an amicable split. Either way, it must be water under the bridge at this point. Thankfully J.W. Hulme survived and lives on to supply good looking bags to those who appreciate well made things. Perhaps Orvis and J.W. Hulme can revisit things now that Orvis taking a renewed interest in American make with their U.S. Patent collection. (More on that coming soon.)

The new Sporting Originals canvas bags (the lightly colored ones like the above) are just hitting stores (including select Steven Alan and Barneys stores) now — in case you were wondering. Also, pictured below are some of the company’s SS11 bags (the gray canvas and leather items). It is great to see the brand progress and apparently prosper. There was a recent Wall Street Journal article about how the brand has navigated a tumultuous past few years. It was interesting to see that ACL made it into that piece. It also makes me proud to know change is being made for the positive and people are keeping their jobs. At the end of the day, that is what really matters. Well, that and there are sturdy American-made bags in this world.

Comments on “Sturdy American Bags from J.W. Hulme

Tedon August 11, 2010 @ 12:22 AM:

I’ve always loved the classic Orvis brief case. This is an amazing story
    with a happy ending (and I hope it stays that way).
    Great WSJ article too. Thanks for doin what you do.

The Dudeon August 11, 2010 @ 8:49 AM:

Nice, I met one of the J.W. Hulme designers at the Ace not too long ago. Good guy.

Raoul Dukeon August 11, 2010 @ 9:04 AM:

@DapperDude your website has a very familiar look to it. Can’t quite put my finger on it?

jacobon August 11, 2010 @ 10:07 AM:

@raoul duke where’s your website, smartass?

@the dude nice work with the blog (or whatever you want to call it).

Raoul Dukeon August 11, 2010 @ 10:25 AM:

Why it’s right here little jacob –

Want me to put that glass of “shut the fuck up” in the microwave for you?

Robon August 11, 2010 @ 10:34 AM:

Good to see you give recognition to these folks – I carry a Hulme briefcase to work every day, and it has served me well and holds up beautifully, and it does give some satisfaction to know that the company is keeping manufacturing jobs in the States.

Isaacon August 11, 2010 @ 2:34 PM:

I am from MN and get into Duluth Pack’s store in Duluth at least twice a year, but I’ve barely heard about JW Hulme. Thanks for the heads-up, I’ll check them out locally.

Wjletchon August 11, 2010 @ 5:19 PM:

Ive got a duffle, brief case, and garment bag from them. Pretty much indestructible! Well at least until my puppy got ahold of the duffle handle the other day. Still hurts to think about it but I think they have a pretty fair repair service. Awesome post

Matton August 11, 2010 @ 8:26 PM:

@Raoul Duke! You are alive! Will Dr. Gonzo like to meet with the hotel manager?

Margareton August 12, 2010 @ 12:47 AM:

Gorgeous stuff. Oh, and so sturdy. And oh, so American. I love your blog ! It’s all that guy talk. Sweet. It’s nice to read. I really mean it.

The Dudeon August 12, 2010 @ 8:35 AM:

@ Jacob Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

@ “Raoul Duke” Good taste is good taste. I’ll leave it at that, I don’t spend my time trying to come across as a badass on blog forums (under an assumed name, no less) because I’m not a colossal DB.

@ Michael Williams My apologies for polluting your forum with this pubescent banter.

Alexon August 12, 2010 @ 9:59 AM:

Nice stuff – but $260.00 for a small dopp kit? Yowsers.

Andreaon August 12, 2010 @ 10:43 AM:

I’m in the process of breaking in and getting to know one of the larger tote/handbags (in century black.) Buying American+Good Design+Good Materials was the formula for my basic requirements. A great bonus is that these folks are wonderful to do business with. Save up your coffee change and invest. You’ll be glad you did.

Garyon August 12, 2010 @ 11:06 AM:

@ Alex These prices seem in line with smaller American manufacture, Saddleback, Billykirk, etc. I mean, yeah, it hurts but they’re not being stitched together in Malaysia by someone being paid fifty cents a day. I don’t feel bad about paying for quality and supporting Americans being paid fair wages. I do feel bad about paying this much or more for some “designer” bag that is stitched together in Malaysia in the same factory where its knockoffs are being made, by the same fifty cents a day workers.

Jessicaon August 12, 2010 @ 3:32 PM:

I’d love to have them all. I’m agreement with Gary–the prices are only high when you don’t take their being handmade by Americans in America into consideration. We’ve been trained that the lowest price is the best value, it’s quite contrary though.

joanneon August 12, 2010 @ 4:40 PM:

i am thinking i would love for you to blog on men’s cologne.

PatagoniaCommunityon August 12, 2010 @ 5:01 PM:

Michael, how would you say these compare to Filson bags in terms of materials and craftsmanship?

Tomon August 12, 2010 @ 11:51 PM:

The dog seals it for me on the No. 4. I’m a sucker for anything with a bird dog on it.

BPon August 13, 2010 @ 12:35 AM:

You should be proud that’s stone cold awesome! I’m Floored.

Everybody y’alls sites are dank.

Being negative is for the non-enlightened who don’t hit up ACL, have to keep reminding myself of that.

Ryanon August 13, 2010 @ 11:07 AM:

Great bags, Better People… great write-up MW.

Patagonia- I’ve had both Filson and JWH, and they are both great, the JWH’s definitely have more details, linings, pockets, and more supple leathers. Also the fact that they have some variety in their canvases and leather colors make my collection more complete.

PatagoniaCommunityon August 13, 2010 @ 6:55 PM:

Thanks for the info Ryan. Nice pic of the Hulmes on your site.

elysemarieon August 14, 2010 @ 10:22 AM:

thanks for a great post! It’s nice to quality american craftsmanship getting attention as opposed to crummy high fashion stuff that is made overseas. Loved the molding and details of the leather bottle cases, and the canvas and leather bags are beautiful yet subtle; love it. I may have to check this out for gifts this coming holiday season…

Ryanon August 22, 2010 @ 10:44 PM:

Thanks Patagonia… there’ll be a few more up soon..