What I Saw During New York Market Week

The past few days have been spent running around (though actually I have been biking) looking at all of the spring 2011 clothes that have rotated over to New York. These times of the year are always fun and inspirational. It is also great to be able to see friends that have come to town from all over the world. I tried to stay focused (which was especially tough yesterday after Monday’s late night activities) and document the good stuff I found and saw. Hope you enjoy.

That's a tasty shirt from Billy Reid
Hamilton Shirt Co.
Garbstore does such a good job. I want everything from their line.

Team Beams.
More team Beams.
A Garbstore canvas bag.

Shirts from Riveria Club
Derek (left) and Joe (right) from Riviera Club. Those guys rule.
Riviera Club.
Riviera Club.
That is a clock.
The guys from Onia are making some really nice swim gear.

Black Pine Workshop
Repping Homage, Massillon and the O-H: Stalley.
Repping Maine and LL Bean: Kate.

Hamilton Shirt Co.
Hamilton Shirt Co.
Hamilton Shirt Co.
White dudes love military watches.

Comments on “What I Saw During New York Market Week

Brianon July 21, 2010 @ 12:13 PM:

I’m a white dude … and I too love military watches. In fact I looked down on my wrist and I had the same thing!!!

Joshon July 21, 2010 @ 12:17 PM:

I didn’t see any branding on those military watches, anyone have some suggestions for an inexpensive military watch like those?

Ninaon July 21, 2010 @ 12:45 PM:

Nice post and pics.

I’m a white chick and I love my military watch, too.

Mine’s from Smart Turnout, strap and all:

kevinon July 21, 2010 @ 12:46 PM:

Have to agree with Brian, did the exact same thing.

Brianon July 21, 2010 @ 12:46 PM:

I have the Timex J.Crew watch …. think it was about $150 ….. you can normally get the bands for $15-$20.

steveon July 21, 2010 @ 12:55 PM:

what happened with the last pic? supreme not pay for a name drop?

kevinon July 21, 2010 @ 12:57 PM:

I have the Timex Camper watch. You can find them on amazon for about 20 bucks. They are releasing a new larger faced one in the fall. It is a nice cheap, simple, everyday watch.

Staircase Witchon July 21, 2010 @ 1:19 PM:

I am deeply infatuated with that enormous clock.

I’ve tried in the past to wear my father’s old Benrus, but it’s just too cumbersome. (Also fragile; the backplate is plastic.)

PERon July 21, 2010 @ 1:19 PM:

That’s not a laundry tote, it’s a US Air Force crew bag. Respect the original.

abion July 21, 2010 @ 1:31 PM:

I’m a black dude and I too like military watches. Victorinox Swiss Army. It’s been over 10 years and it still looks/work great.

anothergloriousbattleon July 21, 2010 @ 1:32 PM:

Those watches look like 1980s military issued US Hamilton watches, as I also own a very similar classic military looking watch to these.

evenclevelandon July 21, 2010 @ 1:35 PM:

DAMN. I need that 10 cent beer night t-shirt.

kevinon July 21, 2010 @ 1:41 PM:

Hey evencleveland,

The 10 cent beer night can be found at http://www.homage.com/store/sports/10-beer-night

They have tons of other Cleveland t-shirts.

Michael Williamson July 21, 2010 @ 2:17 PM:
    brockon July 21, 2010 @ 2:22 PM:

2 of my favorite things, Homage and L.L. Bean! Having just moved from C-Bus to work for Bean, I’m thrilled to see you continuing to represent both. Well done!

theSandwichClubon July 21, 2010 @ 2:26 PM:

Nice to see Garbstore get a mention. I have been following this brand for a few years now, the collections get stronger each season.

vanderleunon July 21, 2010 @ 2:35 PM:

How can so much nice gear yield such scruffy looking dressers?

You can dress like a slob for much less at Value Village and they at least run the stuff through the ironing process. And don’t even get me started on the evaporation of grooming.

dallason July 21, 2010 @ 2:44 PM:

im with abi, mine is vic. but im a white dude. i think i got mine in 01

JohnPon July 21, 2010 @ 3:07 PM:

Love Garbstore, great Flightshirts, jackest and jeans especially if you hang on for the sale/clearance.

MTon July 21, 2010 @ 3:12 PM:

Time to find myself a military watch!

Peteron July 21, 2010 @ 3:19 PM:

That’s a lot of plaid.

I’d buy that rucksack tomorrow if I could.

BradGon July 21, 2010 @ 3:34 PM:

Who are those dudes in the last photo?

steven tataron July 21, 2010 @ 3:42 PM:

10 cent Beer Night !?! I was there- it was also Roxboro Jr. HS Humanistic Curriculum night at Municipal Stadium. Hippy High, makin’ the scene! I think some of the first cranks to run out onto the field around the 3rd inning was some of Roxboro’s finest. I think the world needs more 10 cent beer nights (or just 10 cent beer). Isn’t it pitiful that one of my cooler props is that I was in the crowd at one of professional baseball’s most ignoble moments?

Davidon July 21, 2010 @ 3:43 PM:

The plaid Riviera Club shirt with the polka dot interior is the winner. Hope I remember that shirt come January shopping.

Caseyon July 21, 2010 @ 3:55 PM:

I’m digging Mr. Stalley’s style, as well. I’m a proud owner of the 10 Cent Beer Night shirt, myself.

What kind of bike are you using/abusing these days, Mr. Williams?

Sarahon July 21, 2010 @ 4:14 PM:

I know this is mostly Men’s clothing, but these pictures are a wonderful window into places I wish I had access to. I’m assuming these events are private, or at least by invitation only or you have to be on a list, but in any case, you are lucky :) Definitely liked the outdoorsy feel, especially what you’ve included from Black Pine Workshop.

jasonon July 21, 2010 @ 6:12 PM:

You gotta love the Homage stuff. I think he was wearing a Columbus Clippers Hat. I miss CBus so bad.

Bryanton July 21, 2010 @ 6:17 PM:

Yo Yo!!! Thats Ricky and Brendan in that last pic of the World Famous Supreme Team!!!

Frankieon July 21, 2010 @ 7:56 PM:

I have a Smith & Wesson Military Watch. Can’t go wrong at $29.95 plus it says Smith & Wesson so that makes you pretty bad ass.

John Hon July 21, 2010 @ 9:38 PM:

Where did she get that LL Bean tote from? It’s amazing- but I can’t seem to find a model like it (with the leather handles and outside pocket) on the Bean website.

deweydecimalon July 21, 2010 @ 10:06 PM:

@John H – Could be wrong, but said person with tote bag is probably one of those people that consistently drives the price of similar items over 100 bucks on ebay.

Charleson July 21, 2010 @ 11:09 PM:

I like those Hamiton Shirt Co shirts, but not for $165. The last time I payed that much for a shirt was a Thom Browne shirt. I ran in and got it without inspecting it. I was furious that I had paid so much for a white shirt that was basically see-through.

Lineage of Influenceon July 22, 2010 @ 5:26 AM:

All the shirting looks good but the Riviera Club check/polka dot one is by far and away the best of the lot.

Sueon July 22, 2010 @ 11:13 AM:

I hope you don’t mind me posting I just wanted to say thanks so for the mention – it is very much appreciated as we are a small company.

We do a selection of military watches over at Smart Turnout – with various different straps starting at $29 and we often run offers via our facebook pages.

If anyone ever wants to review stock for their blog etc – just let me know and I will sort out samples.

Thanks once again

PR & Marketing
    Smart Turnout

leonon July 22, 2010 @ 1:59 PM:

supreme…get outta here..”time to grow up and be a fuckin’ man” (the same thing that lee quinones’ brother in wild style told him)…put down those skateboards and t-shirts and “kicks” already

AndyBon July 22, 2010 @ 2:43 PM:

I still don’t feel like anyone has nailed where those military watches came from. Anyone know for sure? Anyone at ACL that can shed light on this mystery?

Michael Williamson July 22, 2010 @ 2:51 PM:

In the photo: at 3 o’clock is a MWC watch worn by Jordan from Winn Perry, at 6 o’clock is an Army issue Hamilton Khaki worn by me and at 9 o’clock is another army issue Hamilton Khaki worn by Emil from The Hill-Side.

Jim C.on July 22, 2010 @ 2:56 PM:

Left and center watches are US Government Issue Hamilton MIL-W-46374B field watches from the ’70s or ’80s. See http://home.earthlink.net/~brendo81/46374.html for further info. I’m not sure about the watch on the right; it might be a Benrus MIL-W-3818B or GG-W-113 with incorrect crown, or more likely a Vietnamese copy of a US watch.

Nielson July 22, 2010 @ 3:25 PM:

Man, that Riviera Club shirt with the polka dot interior IS a winner… Anybody know of any online retailers that would sell that to poor smucks like us in Europe?

Matton July 22, 2010 @ 7:04 PM:

White dudes (and black and Latino) loving those military watches means we all in some part have a weird longing to have served something bigger like our country in WWII. But on a lighter note, what would it take for you New Yorkers to bundle up some that awesome stuff and drive out to Chicago, Cleveland, Cincy, Indy, and sell it here?

Matton July 22, 2010 @ 7:06 PM:

Ooops…sorry, Garbstore in London. Okay, fly over!

Tedon July 23, 2010 @ 12:28 AM:

Thanks for the look. Great Khaki watch straps at central watch stand
    at Grand Central. About 10 bucks. 3 sizes. I have a large wrist and jpress never fit
    right. They have them in xl.

Joshon July 23, 2010 @ 10:27 AM:

Thanks Michael for the info on the watches, The Hamilton is a beauty. I found the Smith & Watson one that is definitely cheaper then the Hamilton, but I’m still on the lookout for one without branding.

ECon July 23, 2010 @ 2:53 PM:

Brimfield was filled with Nato (and similar) straps and the prices could not be beat anywhere.

ECon July 23, 2010 @ 3:06 PM:

Sorry, meant to tell you my watch setup.

Today: Seiko sgg531 and blue “tropical” strap

Man, love the clothes for Spring 11.

angeloon July 23, 2010 @ 7:34 PM:

Just an fyi to anyone interested, Billy Reid shirts fit wack.

Nateon July 30, 2010 @ 11:57 PM:

Michael, where did you buy your hamilton military watch? ebay?