If you are in the market for a new suit, the time is now. If you are attending a wedding soon and need a suit, the time is now. If you are someone that just likes to wear suits, the time is now. I can’t say this enough.
One of the most common emails I get from people needing style advice is about finding and buying a good suit. I have a few favorite places I generally point people to (one of which was Hickey, may it rest in peace), so when I heard from Gilt about the suits the commissioned from Martin Greenfield I got legitimately excited for a few reasons. 1. Because these are the perfect recommendation for anyone needing a suit. 2. The value for money for this clothing is off the charts. 3. Martin Greenfield makes really nice suits. 4. I’m in the market for a new suit.
After speaking with the folks at Gilt it was clear I had to trip out to Bushwick to the Martin Greenfield factory to see the clothing in its natural environment. Before we start looking at photos of the merchandise, let’s go over the hard details for the Martin Greenfield for Gilt tailored goodness.
- All suits feature full canvas construction.
- The jacket sleeves have attached buttons, but also are made so that they can be lengthened and have working buttons added once proper fit.
- The collection is comprised of six different super 120s wool suits, two summer cotton options and a peak lapel tuxedo.
- Everything but the tux are of the 2-button notch lapel and side vent variety (I like to call side vents “dual exhaust”).
- The jackets have a passport pocket, pen pocket, cell phone pocket and your normal breast pocket.
- The entire collection is made in Brooklyn, USA.
All of the suits are full canvased with a lot of hand sewn construction. No bullshit, I went there and saw it being done. The cut is slim and trim, but not crazy small. I was even able to pour myself into one and it looked pretty great. I will say that I needed to size up, so take that into consideration. That said, I spoke to Gilt about returns and they informed me that this sale will have the normal 21 day return or exchange policy (Gilt will even work to get you the size you need it they are sold out). Also keep in mind that all of the Martin Greenfield for Gilt suits will be sold as separates, so you can mix and match. File this whole thing under “no brainer.”
The pants are priced from $178 (for the cotton) to $198 for the wool. Suits range from $698 for cotton to $998 for super 120s. The tuxedo is priced at $1048.
Everything goes on sale tomorrow —Thursday, July 15th at 12 EDT [Martin Greenfield for Gilt]
Update: Gilt’s Tyler Thoreson gives us another look at the offerings.