Archival Imagery | Orange County Calif. USA

Fashion Square, Santa Ana, circa 1960
Orange County Plaza, Chapman Ave., Garden Grove, 1957
Flight of the Snowbirds, Newport Harbor c.1930
Citrus groves, Golden Ave., Placentia, June 1961

Seal Beach Pier, circa 1920
Alpha Beta supermarket, Laguna Hills, 1966
All photos courtesy Orange County Archives.

Comments on “Archival Imagery | Orange County Calif. USA

orangecounty4lifeon July 2, 2010 @ 11:16 AM:

Darrinon July 2, 2010 @ 11:17 AM:

I grew up in Laguna Niguel and went to high school in Dana Point. These pictures are fantastic.

That Alpha Beta is the biggest ‘blast from the past’ and the neon sign in the background of the Capistrano photo is the ‘Swallows Inn’, which scared the crap outta me when I was a kid — it looked like a Hells Angels bar.

Thanks for posting these!

Matt Son July 2, 2010 @ 11:20 AM:

Thanks for sharing the great pics. Orange County is my home and I love it so much. I did 5 years in Palm Beach Florida and could not wait to get back home to beautiful Southern California.

OCBDon July 2, 2010 @ 11:30 AM:

In July of 1955, we actually drove through orange grove-lined roads to get to Anaheim for the opening of Disneyland.

brandonon July 2, 2010 @ 11:40 AM:

Placentia!! my hometown.

Andreaon July 2, 2010 @ 12:05 PM:

Who knew that the celery harvest was such a joyous occasion? I’m sensing a serious need for whiskey amongst those gentlemen.

vanderleunon July 2, 2010 @ 12:11 PM:

“Pacific Ave., Sunset Beach and Surfside, April 1966”

I think that water tower structure is still around although converted to an apartment.

Robon July 2, 2010 @ 12:17 PM:

Alpha Beta! My elementary school was next door to the Laguna Beach Alpha Beta.

Keithon July 2, 2010 @ 12:24 PM:

Would love to get a better look at the small hatchets the men in the upper left of the first pic are holding. Probably a small shingle/roofing hatchet was the best tool they could find to use for harvesting stalk produce like this.

Chaseon July 2, 2010 @ 12:57 PM:

Newport Beach FTW

Flight of the Snowbirds still happens, although they use Lasers instead of Snowbirds now

Vanderleun — yes, the water tower is still there

Gavinon July 2, 2010 @ 1:08 PM:

vanderleun – Yes it is an apartment, drive by it quite a bit, (Live in Long Beach). Such a landmark, with very little in the picture recognizable these days. Love the pics, so much has changed. Hell, my family had their own dairy cow in Whittier many years ago, now it’s all paved over and you get your milk at Vons.

Jeffon July 2, 2010 @ 1:35 PM:

The water tower house is still in Sunset Beach. Right near PCH and Anderson st. Some good, uncrowded surf at that spot, too!

Turlingon July 2, 2010 @ 2:25 PM:

Our office building is built on those Placentia citrus groves. Needless to say, no more groves.

doaneon July 2, 2010 @ 2:54 PM:

Really like the third from the top with the telephone poles, water tower and palm trees. Beach culture meets industry. Reminds me of an Evan Hecox illustration.

Laguna Beach Tradon July 2, 2010 @ 6:56 PM:

Thank you for showing some love to OC.

Tomon July 3, 2010 @ 11:58 AM:

Amazing shots, some of the colours and perspectives are stunning.

Wallison July 3, 2010 @ 1:01 PM:

Why was everything mid century so much more beautiful? Even photos of parking lots. Somehow I don’t think 2010 photos of Walmart parking lots will have the same appeal in 50-60 years.

Danimalon July 3, 2010 @ 2:10 PM:

The water tower is still in Sunset, it has been converted into a house. It is right across the street from Kanvas by Katin, the surf shop you posted on a while back. Epic post. Thanks.

Travison July 3, 2010 @ 4:18 PM:

I wasn’t alive for it, but the shot of San Juan Capistrano (Verdugo) street brings back memories. I grew up there until about Jr. High.

Samon July 4, 2010 @ 9:51 AM:

Sunset Beach Water Tower Pics:

sharpeyeon July 7, 2010 @ 4:59 AM:

excellent pics

Tractor Radio Co.on July 8, 2010 @ 1:39 PM:

When Orange County had farmers, and was still great. Go see Huntington Beach Main Street today and compare. Then try not to cry.

Stephen Simonon July 14, 2010 @ 2:16 AM:

Sunset Beach, 1966. Yes! I remember “riding the rails” on those tracks going down to San Diego in the late 50’s with my brother, Rick Simon. We still own the house we built in Sunset Beach then.

Shivson July 16, 2010 @ 7:02 PM:

When did classy hat wearing go out of fashion? It should be mandatory I tells ya.. so should be having jukeboxes everywhere.

Aaronon July 20, 2010 @ 1:35 PM:

The Chapman Avenue picture of Garden Grove is about a mile from where I grew up.