Duluth Pack at Brimfield | How Much Would You Spend?

Something of a debate we had going at Brimfield — how much would you pay for this vintage No.3 Duluth Pack canvas bag? The company still makes a very similar bag (if not the same) which is available online. But vintage can be more fun than new and this bag looks to be in especially good shape. Plus, this nice old bag also predates that circular logo-badge that the new bags have, which is a good thing. So the question is, how much would you pay for this bag at a flea market, cash and carry?

Comments on “Duluth Pack at Brimfield | How Much Would You Spend?

traceon May 21, 2010 @ 10:48 AM:

Hmm, I’d say nothing over $50. That seems like a lot to me for a vintage canvas bag, but after researching them a little on the internet they aren’t exactly cheap. I do like that pack, though!

joanna goddardon May 21, 2010 @ 10:48 AM:

up to $50. i love it!

chazon May 21, 2010 @ 11:01 AM:

Is that a tumpline? That’s nice but I bet they wanted more than $50. If I thought it was usable I might get closer to $100. I suspect that table it’s on was full of awesome.

Ryanon May 21, 2010 @ 12:04 PM:

Aon May 21, 2010 @ 12:09 PM:

Would pay: $40
    Worth (to many): ten times that

S.Lemonon May 21, 2010 @ 12:09 PM:

Probably $100-150

Assuming the lifetime warranty still stands.

DERRICKon May 21, 2010 @ 12:37 PM:

something like this on ebay would go between 100-200. i know because ive been outbid on similar items.

goncaloon May 21, 2010 @ 12:39 PM:

150-200 usd

doaneon May 21, 2010 @ 1:18 PM:

Joshon May 21, 2010 @ 2:21 PM:

Up to $100. Not easy to find something like that everywhere.

taraon May 21, 2010 @ 3:05 PM:

But the question is….did YOU buy and how much did you pay?

ryanon May 21, 2010 @ 3:30 PM:

How much would RRL pay for this inspiration piece? A lot more than 50 USD.

Shawnon May 21, 2010 @ 3:46 PM:

Agree with Ryan, RRL would not blink at any cost. They would then duplicate and sell for 500.00. (and we all would buy one)

Duluth Packon May 21, 2010 @ 4:17 PM:

Hello! What a great discussion! I guess it is worth whatever someone will pay for it, but we see packs much older than that!

S.Lemonon May 21, 2010 @ 5:13 PM:

@Duluth Pack

“Yes, the lifetime guarantee on craftsmanship is good for the life of the bag! No matter who the owner!”

That’s fantastic and actually addresses precisely what I was wondering, whether the warranty would carry over to any owner. Love your packs, especially the new collaboration with Inventory, hoping I can come up with the money for one of those soon.

Granton May 21, 2010 @ 5:56 PM:

I’d say I’d spend no more than $75 dollars.

kenyanon May 21, 2010 @ 6:17 PM:

I have 2 if these from Brimfield…one I got in 99′ and the 2nd in 03′. I paid $20 for the 99′ and $80 for the 03’…I would figure with the whole canvas thang going on now it would go for $300..?

Michael Williamson May 21, 2010 @ 7:33 PM:

We didn’t buy it actually. I’ll share the asking price after a little more people have a chance to weigh in. —ACL

mikeon May 21, 2010 @ 8:07 PM:

At a flea market? Maybe $40-50 and that’s pushing it.

JPon May 21, 2010 @ 9:51 PM:

$75–looks like a great pack.

Andrewon May 22, 2010 @ 12:09 AM:

I’d pay $75 — but with greed what it is these days, they probably were asking $300+. If they knew it was discussed on ACL, then nothing less than $500.

That would be a steal compared to this $50,000 Duluth Pack on eBay:

BTW, this pack was being offered for $100k a few weeks ago. Half off! What a deal.

Tony Oliveron May 22, 2010 @ 7:31 AM:

i say $75.

Lineage of Influenceon May 22, 2010 @ 7:46 AM:

If I truly loved it and knew I’d get a lifetimes use out of it then I’d happily pay a few hundred dollars for it.

But it’s only worth what someone’s willing to pay for it.

donald a tavares-donovanon May 22, 2010 @ 10:46 AM:

I found one at Salvation Army for $3.

Gregg Shawon May 22, 2010 @ 4:03 PM:

$75, no prob. Maybe $100…

ad easeon May 23, 2010 @ 9:55 AM:

I work at RRL designing bags and yes, we would not blink at more than most folks but seeing as the silhouette is more or less the same as the ones now, I probably wouldnt pay more than $150. It would be more of a rigging piece than anything since the classic shape is so ubiquitous these days.

ryanon May 23, 2010 @ 10:07 AM:

wouldn’t pay nothin’ for no gnarly used canvas bag

mikeon May 23, 2010 @ 10:26 AM:

If I needed another one for canoe trips I’d pay $50. They’re great for canoe packing but not much else.

Bradon May 24, 2010 @ 10:30 AM:

If the asking price was ‘fair’, I would imagine that you would have bought it. I assume they were asking between $450-600. I’m just guessing though.

Tom Burketon May 24, 2010 @ 2:01 PM:

The trouble is, you spend $50 at the flea market for the pack. Then a grand on up for the canoe to go with it, several hundred for a new tent, a couple hundred for a really nice paddle. You quit your job and move to Minnesota because suddenly all you want to do is canoe. Buyer beware.

Thornproofon May 24, 2010 @ 5:23 PM:

Personally, no more than about $20 … but I would imagine that the asking price would be in the $50 range. Then again, not much surprises me these days and it could very well be in the $300+ range!

Jonason May 24, 2010 @ 10:03 PM:

I found a canvas pack recently, military surplus. Dated 1944. It came with a detachable metal frame. I think it’s a alpine pack or rucksack. Any one else have or seen one? Kind of a neat old item.

branton May 25, 2010 @ 11:33 AM:

@ jonas,
    this sounds like a swedish alpine pack-one internal pocket, drawstring top with a flap that has 2 leather straps. If you see any stamping on the leather straps or on the canvas that are 3 simplified crowns in a triangular formation then that is what you have. If not then it could be any of the usual European countries (swiss, german are likely based on the description of it having a date–swiss bags almost always have a date stamp on one of the leather pieces).

Duluth+Brimfield=$300 list, but probably could walk for $220 if a good negotiator.

Larryon May 25, 2010 @ 12:36 PM:

I’d go $50-$75 for that… not because it’s not worth more, but because I’m just partial (biased) to another Minnesota Bag Manufacturer down in Saint Paul… :-)

Great find though! Bag looks like it’s in great shape.

Hue Willie Careson May 25, 2010 @ 10:42 PM:

I’d say it went for $250?? It looks more like a collectors piece with the nice stencil, leather straps, nice vintage patina so I could easily see it going for more, especially at Brimfield where someone knows what they have

Jonason May 26, 2010 @ 12:30 AM:

The pack I have is stamped U.S. on the outside of the top flap, has 3 external pockets, and says Hinson MFG. CO. on the inside and the 1943 date. The 3 pockets have leather buckles, the main compartment has webbing and buckles, and the shoulder straps are webbing. There is a long web strap that hangs off the side of it that is permanently attached.

branton May 26, 2010 @ 10:58 AM:

@ jonas,
    well I couldn’t have been further off the mark with my pack deductions. Yes, this is a great pack for a vintage military collector the proper model name is 88B. It has many of the features which were used in U.S. packs–most notably the ALICE pack/frame which was widely seen in Vietnam. Also nice having both the Mfg. and date on the pack so you don’t have to wonder too much about when/where it came from. Also since it is all canvas you won’t have any issues with degradation of materials like leather which can go bad pretty quickly if not properly cared for so you could actually use this pack rather then hang it on a wall for decoration. For more details check out this link http://www.mountaintroops.us/history_rucksack.html

Provaon May 27, 2010 @ 10:14 AM:

$120 on the nose

Alexion May 28, 2010 @ 12:11 AM:

If it was the same on ethat was there last year with the woolrich knickers and matching jacket $80 Bucks was the asking price. I’ve seen them at shops in new england and quebec for $50, so that would be my going rate

oh and for those of you who keep saying “flee-market” Brimfield is an antiques market.

angeloon May 29, 2010 @ 3:28 AM:

I have the Duluth x Inventory bag for which I paid $180, but I’d rather have this one. But a lifetime guarantee is legit, if you think about how many backpacks you might buy in a lifetime, you could easily estimate that $500 is a good price for a lifelong rugged pack.

samon June 1, 2010 @ 10:30 AM:

well? what were they asking for it?

Michael Williamson June 1, 2010 @ 5:25 PM:

The guy was asking $250 for this bag, which by our estimates was at least $100 too much. —ACL

Himelon June 19, 2010 @ 8:49 PM:

That tump strap brings back painful memories of being 10 years old tripping in the wilderness carrying more crap then I weighed…ugh