Brimfield Day 2: Treasure & Rain (Part II)

The last bit of images from our two day trip the the world’s largest outdoor antiques sale in Brimfield, Mass. See all of the coverage here.

Mr. Schonberger picked up this gem for a mere $7.

Anyone recognize this gent?

This guy had good stuff, but the prices were too high.

I love a good pie safe.
And....we're done. Mr. Sullivan extracts his purchase.

Comments on “Brimfield Day 2: Treasure & Rain (Part II)

JDon May 14, 2010 @ 10:42 AM:

That dude needs a haircut.

evenclevelandon May 14, 2010 @ 11:25 AM:

It looks like fun, rain and all.

unitedstyleon May 14, 2010 @ 11:32 AM:

That Pilgrim sandwich sounds good. That poor Asian girl in drag. At least her scarf is nice.

samon May 14, 2010 @ 11:42 AM:

Wow needlessly mean – girl’s outfit is great and who cares about other peoples hair?

Michael Williamson May 14, 2010 @ 11:44 AM:

I agree with Sam about the girl, I like her look (cos it is basically my look) and she pulls it off nicely. I also think that guy’s hair is really nice. I bet he spends a lot of time on it.

Eric Marthon May 14, 2010 @ 11:55 AM:

Beach Bum!

JDon May 14, 2010 @ 12:19 PM:

Sam, I only care about Andy’s hair cause I love him.

R4on May 14, 2010 @ 12:32 PM:

gortexing the 60/40’s

Jameson May 14, 2010 @ 12:43 PM:
    sam c.on May 14, 2010 @ 12:47 PM:

hey there – question. I heard once that certain days of each brimfield session are better than others (or at least focus on certain things more than others). Do you know if there’s any truth to this? I ask b/c I went one day last summer and didn’t see anything as amazing (or at least workwear/americana oriented) as what you’ve posted here (nicely done btw). If anyone has any insight about this, it would be greatly appreciated!!

kungfu gripon May 14, 2010 @ 12:51 PM:

if you morphed asian lipstick lesbo and howdy doody…you’d have the perfect storm of asiatradilisciousness!

Michael Williamson May 14, 2010 @ 12:57 PM:

James — that is the same girl. Good catch.

Sam C. — different fields open different days and it is always best to be at those places when they open. Lots of white people jockeying for vintage stuff — it is a real sight to see.

Dr Feelgoodon May 14, 2010 @ 2:28 PM:

That lady makes me happy. Super cute!

What kind of jeans on the other guy?

{ kat }on May 14, 2010 @ 3:29 PM:

can you tell me which field those metal filing cabinets were in? if you remember… there are so many! thanks!

A.B.on May 14, 2010 @ 3:50 PM:

1950s J.C. Penney Foremost (single selvedge if you care about that sort of thing)

James Ryangon May 14, 2010 @ 4:33 PM:

That turkey sandwich from Pilgrim is the only thing worth eating there. MMMM. Nice photos. Keep ’em coming.

sam c.on May 14, 2010 @ 5:42 PM:

thanks michael! I’ll do some research as to which fields i should be lookin at – would ask but don’t wanna blow up your spot!

Lineage of Influenceon May 15, 2010 @ 7:43 AM:

The more pictures I see of this place the more fantastic it looks! I really wish we had something of that size over here.

Lukeon May 15, 2010 @ 11:32 AM:

These pictures are great, Michael. They really remind me of what I miss about going to meets and markets with my mom when I was a kid.

The hateful/homophobic/lame comments about “drag” and the “lipstick lesbo” are pretty off putting (and boring). Y’all seem woefully misinformed about the definition of both. My mom used to rock those exact boots and a Barbour on rainy days too and both ladies wear it well. And a “lipstick lesbo” wouldn’t be caught dead in those shoes. (Yes, I would know.)

Along with having great style, my mom also taught me that if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all.

Thanks for the great work and for always being decent, MW.

kenyanon May 15, 2010 @ 5:43 PM:

Great Pic’s..!
    Sad I didn’t run into you…We just got back last night after filling a 26 Footer..Heading back tonight to refill and get all the end bits.

Oh yeah I scored a 20′ 48 star American flag and a 25′ 38 star….So let me know when it’s needed brother.

hbon May 16, 2010 @ 3:47 PM:

Anyone know what kind/style boot that lady is wearing? Those are great looking!

Tintinon May 17, 2010 @ 11:33 AM:

If you blow up the “guy had good stuff” shot, there’s an army field desk under the hanging jeans. Please tell me you bought that.

doaneon May 17, 2010 @ 11:06 PM:

Those doctor’s office jars full of tongue depressors and cotton balls can be found out of any modern day medicine supply catalog. Bought some as props for a photo shoot about a month ago.

Jasonon May 18, 2010 @ 7:51 AM:

@hb — They look like Redwing classic lifestyle boots to me, as are his I believe. (I’m wearing a pair as I type this…and they’re awesome!)

Michaelon May 18, 2010 @ 10:49 AM:

that girls look is awesome! her outfit is great and the scarf adds an extreme feminine irony to it… probably someone I would love to hang out with!

ECon May 18, 2010 @ 5:59 PM:

For a fun read, might I suggest Brimfield Rush by Bob Wyss, it is interesting and quick. It gives a little history and has a nice narrative about a few dealers at the show.

Though we always get great stuff, it is the dealers that keep us heading back there. We have learned so much by talking to various dealers over the years. This time around we got talking to this one gent who was selling industrial salvage, and he told us wild stories about mine diving for treasure and bootlegging coal.

We are already planning our July visit.

ABon May 19, 2010 @ 9:34 AM:

Jason, etc. — I don’t know about “Redwing classic lifestyle boots” but mine are just regular 1980s 6″ Red Wing 875s.

kevinon May 19, 2010 @ 3:38 PM:

I’m just awed to see my hometown representing in the first photo…Newington CT.

Classics Patrioton May 27, 2010 @ 3:05 PM:

Wow! Unitedstyle really set off a firestorm.

Regardless of how “ignorant,” or, better yet “hateful” (chortle) the phrase “girl in drag” is, I knew exactly who and what he meant, the instant I read it. That’s good writing.

Her outfit, minus the scarf, would be perfect for camping or hiking. It may even have been perfect for bargain-hunting at this venue. However, the only thing vaguely feminine about it is the pink scarf which, while very nice, does not overcome the overall masculine (or possibly asexual) effect.

Call me whatever you want, but I think women look better in feminine clothes, just as men look better in masculine clothes. Like it or not, clothes send a message, and her message is distinctly unfeminine. YMMV.

yamalinkon May 29, 2010 @ 9:23 AM:

As an Asian and a Red Wing boot owner, I resemble that remark!

jeannieon May 30, 2010 @ 3:35 AM:

I love what the lady -photo 2 is wearing…waay lots better than the gal behind her in them cargo camos’ :P