• Finally saw The Hurt Locker. Two words: fucking intense [The Hurt Locker] [Pictured]
  • If you haven’t seen it (and bookmarked it) check this site out [One Trip Pass]
  • Here’s another one. This is what Draplin calls a ‘daywrecker’ [Cotton Duck]
  • I’m heading to Amsterdam and London on a mission. Anything I can’t miss? [ACL LONDON]
  • One of the best online shops out there gets physical. [C’H’C’M Pop Up Shop]

Comments on “SIGNALS

Ms.Ghongon January 29, 2010 @ 8:06 AM:

Jesus I cant recall the last time I watch a movie and thought to myself “shit I hope things will take a turn a for the better”only to realize that fuck Its a just a movie I’ll be getting out of this alive. I hope Bieglow gets what she deserves come oscar time, the best film I’ve seen this year bar none.

Slambon January 29, 2010 @ 10:42 AM:

Amsterdam – must go to the Cafe De Doktor –

Makagaon January 29, 2010 @ 12:53 PM:

London – Saatchi and Saatchi gallery, and Nat’l Portrait Gallery

Matton January 29, 2010 @ 2:17 PM:

Damn good movie…probably the best on the Iraq War.

Alexon January 29, 2010 @ 2:26 PM:

Amazing Movie ! Nervous the whole time !

Doraemonkeyon January 29, 2010 @ 3:24 PM:

Labour and Wait, Cheshire Street, London
    Bistrotecque, Hackney in London

Trust me. I’m a Londoner.

marinedadon January 29, 2010 @ 6:45 PM:

The original post was about a movie that illuminates heroism and sacrifice in Iraq. The irrelevant responses are disappointing in the extreme. Almost zero readers will have any personal connection with the reality of sacrifices American and coalition young people have made in Iraq, and in response to one good movie on the subject, they want to talk about clothes and trips. I’m so sorry for them.

Michael Williamson January 29, 2010 @ 6:49 PM:

Beep boop.

Danielon January 29, 2010 @ 7:13 PM:

Condor Cycles
    49-53 Gray’s Inn Road
    London, WC1X 8PP

Ron Cooper’s (Frame Builder)
    Honor Oak Park

Jason Lonsdaleon January 29, 2010 @ 7:26 PM:

Oliver Spencer, Lamb’s Conduit St
    James Smith for bespoke umbrellas
    … and of course Selfridge’s!

Johnny Gageon January 29, 2010 @ 7:44 PM:

that is the most ridiculous thing to say. This is a blog about fashion, not the war in Iraq of Afghanistan, and besides… he is speaking of a highly fictional film, not a documentary on the war. Your statement lacks intelligence and thoughtfulness.

While you might be a “dad” of a marine, I actually served in the infantry and did tours in afghanistan and bosnia, and was not in the least offended by this post.

samon January 30, 2010 @ 1:57 AM:

oh man, skip st. john…utter dogshit of a restaurant…if you do go, please mark my words.

go to anchor and hope in southwark instead…youll be glad you did…food is amazing.

galvin bros has possibly the best bistro food outside of paris in my opinion. near baker st if i recall.

Edwinon January 30, 2010 @ 10:42 AM:

When in Amsterdam, head for the ‘nine streets’: and also check out

marinedadon January 30, 2010 @ 12:09 PM:

Johnny Gage –

First, thanks for your service and the work you did.
    Clearly this is a blog about clothes and fashion; I enjoy it as such. The posting we are on here concerns a movie however. Clearly a fictional account, but one purportedly based on real events witnessed by a guy imbedded with a bomb unit in Iraq. As such it deserves serious treatment.
    My point was mainly that there are more than enough places on this blog to ask fashion or travel questions. The disconnect between the experiences of guys like those portrayed in the movie and the irrelevant questions is symptomatic of the unreality of our wars for the vast majorty of westerners. It seems trite, superficial and an insult to you and all the other military members I see every week at the USO.

Robon January 31, 2010 @ 6:25 PM:

One might justifiably be insulted about actors pretending to be soldiers and reaping a profit, but not this posting and its commenters.

To me, that clip wasn’t intriguing in the slightest. Not a fan of that actor

Timon February 1, 2010 @ 6:24 PM:

I lived in Amsterdam for quite a while. It’s the best city on earth, hands down, in my opinion. Just right in every category. The Nine Streets are cool, so’s the Haarlemmerstraat. The flea market at Waterlooplein and the weekend one at Noordermarkt can sometimes turn up interesting stuff. Cowboys 2 Catwalk on Utrechtsestraat is very much up ACL’s alley…but most of what you’ll find there is the sort of stuff you’ve seen before, like prps, acne, red wing, etc. Scotch & Soda is an Amsterdam-based label, so there’re stores around if you want to check ’em out. And PC Hoofstraat has lots of international high-end designers…again, typical but this time not really ACLish. Also, rent a bike. If you don’t, you haven’t really seen Amsterdam the right way. I’m just sayin…

Damionon February 1, 2010 @ 8:51 PM:

DROOG… good design, furniture and assorted inspiration.

the tour of Heiniken used to be cool.. its been years.. but they do them early in the AM.
    you can go get beers @ 10-11 am then pick up a a pastry and head over to the Van Gogh museum, they used to serve beer for about an hour.. the tour is ok.. but beer right there.. so good.

the RIKS museum… could be a whole day.. but houses all the old masters and plenty of other great art.

Denham jeans… is a must… really cool folks. sick denim. nice vintage lee and levis collection too. I think the cafe might be open now too.

Cafe BABA.. is awesome.. right in the heart of town. good for a stop then roll through the red light.

Ummm if you are down for a quick trip.. Antwerp is a quick ride on the train.. well worth a day there.. the train station is amazing. beautiful architecture.

Ohhh the AMRATH hotel is just worth seeing if you are not staying there. one of the most stunning hotels I have ever stayed.

the contemporary museum is good.. very progressive work there. and the Childrens museum next to it looks like a boat sinking into the water. thats right on the water next to the train station.

ride a bike around… always fun.. its gonna be cold there for sure but.. its a good way to see the city.

have a blast!

ERon February 3, 2010 @ 10:14 AM:

Cafe Oto, Dalston (also for music)
    Leila’s, Shoreditch
    Sam Smith Pubs

D.S.Dundee, Spitalfields

People Watching:
    If you are in London on Thursday 4 February, head to Vyner St in the evening in Hackney for 1st Thursdays. Then go to the Green Papaya on Mare Street
    Broadway Market on Saturdays; Kingsland Waste Market, Saturdays; Ridley Road Market

Philipon February 3, 2010 @ 3:35 PM:

420 is the best coffee shop in Amsterdam, well worth a visit, and the history museum is excellent. And the zoo.