LBJ Knows How to Talk to the Tailor

Take a few minutes out of your day and spend it with this audio tape of Lyndon Baines Johnson, our 36th President, while he orders a few pairs of trousers from the Haggar company in Dallas, Texas. It seems LBJ liked the lightweight pants Haggar had sent him and wanted to get a few extra pairs made, you know, for the evening, after work. Plus, when LBJ would gain a little weight his pants would start to get uncomfortable. “In the crotch, down where your nuts hang. Feels like you are riding a wire fence.” Well, I don’t want to spoil it. Have a listen for yourself. You won’t think about LBJ’s nuts the same ever again. [LBJ White House Tapes] (Thanks to Sinuhe for the tip)

Comments on “LBJ Knows How to Talk to the Tailor

Matton January 19, 2010 @ 5:13 PM:

Very cool! Despite all the obvious stuff (Vietnam) about LBJ, he must have know he had to try to look at least as good (in his own milieu) as JFK, McNamara, and Bundy, in order to be taken seriously.

Alan B.on January 19, 2010 @ 5:48 PM:

A great clip from LBJ. A much better human being thank JFK and far more authentic. Not a good presidency though.

Jeff Loopon January 19, 2010 @ 6:52 PM:

That was f**king awesome. Thanks.

Henryon January 19, 2010 @ 7:50 PM:

Thank you for that. Cracked my shit up!
    I was happy to find a Stetson Open Road under the Christmas tree this year.

TxJewBoyon January 19, 2010 @ 8:15 PM:

Really enjoyed the post. Glad to know even the President struggled with finding a proper pair of khakis.

Ryan Hunteron January 20, 2010 @ 2:57 AM:

That was pretty funny…LBJ was in fine-form, and poor Mr.Haggar tried very hard to accomedate. Classic.

Tintinon January 20, 2010 @ 9:25 AM:

I notice LBJ didn’t mention anything about paying for them.

Samon January 20, 2010 @ 9:28 AM:

Classic! Thanks for sharing.

Reddon January 20, 2010 @ 11:13 AM:

I remember first hearing this audio clip while working on a group history project about LBJ at UVa. Our entire group nearly doubled over with laughter and we managed to make the entire computer lab furious.

LBJ certainly didn’t hold anything back – another one of his somewhat humorous qualities was the “Johnson Treatment” where he would stand awkwardly close to a colleague, and invade their personal space by leaning into them, interrupting, and talking forcefully.

HOT + COOLon January 20, 2010 @ 11:50 AM:

Presidents have nuts and bungholes too ya know!

Blairon January 20, 2010 @ 12:06 PM:

Thanks for sharing. Great stuff.

Spikeon January 20, 2010 @ 1:19 PM:

Outstanding. Not only LBJ’s tape here, but the whole collection.

Speedmasteron January 20, 2010 @ 1:40 PM:

Unbelievable. I don’t even know what to say.

ATrueGolferon January 20, 2010 @ 7:19 PM:

Awesome awesome awesome. Great find!

Tracyon January 20, 2010 @ 7:25 PM:

I didn’t thing it could get any better, and then out came the word ‘bunghole.’

I’ve heard really amazing one recording of LBJ awkwardly coming on to the recently widowed Jackie, but I can’t seem to find it anymore. Anyone have it?

Tracyon January 20, 2010 @ 7:32 PM:

ahem, I must be tired.

*Meant to write: I’ve heard ONE really amazing recording of LBJ….

Nathan Dayon January 20, 2010 @ 7:48 PM:

I live across the street from the LBJ Library and it used to be one of my favorite things to do to go and visit. I should go back. I remember I asked if I could just go there and read in the library ( I was young and sobering up and didn’t have a real firm grasp of what a presidential library was) ha, she let me know alright. A woman who was part of Mr. Johnson’s team, she must have been 90 said to me, “Son, I’m glad you like the place and it’s good to see a young man in proper hat, but unless you are doing some sort of research for a a book or something I suggest you read out on the lawn or at the University’s library.”

Tony Oliveron January 21, 2010 @ 9:52 AM:

i love that he belched.

thelast1aughon January 21, 2010 @ 10:53 AM:

TroyNotoriouson January 21, 2010 @ 12:52 PM:

OUTSTANDING. Each and every time I turn to this blog it always gives some incredible priceless piece of history and culture otherwise lost. This small posting says a great deal on so many levels. Thanks for this.

SouthernSkirtson January 22, 2010 @ 10:53 AM:

The belch haflway through was priceless. Actually, it all was.

Lukeon January 24, 2010 @ 12:11 AM:

Speaking of tailors and LBJ, his actual tailor, Gus Karim at Gassane Tailors, is still making suits in Austin. He is also George W Bush’s tailor, and made the suit for his first inauguration. He teaches bespoke tailoring, taking on a few students who want to learn the art. Probably the only place in the US to study one-on-one from an old world, old school master.

JasonKon January 25, 2010 @ 8:48 AM:

Thanks for the pointer! They used to play these clips all the time on a local radio program on WLS-AM in Chicago and it used to crack me up every time. Just classic stuff.

Mr Finkon January 25, 2010 @ 5:11 PM:

I love the thought of the President of The United States of America carrying a pocket knife in his trousers after work. I wonder who was the last US President to regularly cary a knife?

Tyleron January 26, 2010 @ 3:06 PM:

Jesus H Christ, it’s hysterical!!
    He’s a “man’s man” shooting from the hip. Chatting it up about his knife & money falling out, talking about his big balls, bunghole, and by the time he burped, well I just about lost it!
    ….Hard to believe this is ‘real’!

Adamon January 29, 2010 @ 1:14 PM:

LBJ was known for his set of low-hangers.