Engineered Garments x Mark McNairy New Amsterdam

A fine collection of gentlemen and an equally delightful selection of leather shoes. The Juggernaut that is Engineered Garments teamed up with one Mark McNairy on a second capsule collection of English made shoes centered around the classic longwing shape. The collaboration consists of four co-labeled styles (even the way the shoes were labeled is fun; the Engineered Garments logo stamped directly on top of the Mark McNairy New Amsterdam mark right in the footbed) in two colors (black and brown), which will hit stores this coming fall (I shall start saving up now). Check out the chukka longwing and the upland boot longwing in pebble grain — both competing for the title as my favorite.

Prices for the shoes will range from approximate $425 to $625, which is pretty much in line with the pricing of McNairy’s core collection. In my book, not bad value for money for shoes that are Goodyear welted and are made from good materials.

In preparation for the collections release in the coming weeks in Italy at Pitti Uomo, Engineered Garment’s Angelo Urrutia gave some insight on the collaboration. “We really wanted to play with the longwing brogue shape because it is so American and it is one of our favorites. We always try to be playful by doing mismatched stuff like doing negatives, mismatched or reverse colors. Also, working with Mark is great and so easy, rather then some other manufacturers.”

Comments on “Engineered Garments x Mark McNairy New Amsterdam

L.A.Son January 5, 2010 @ 11:44 PM:

The loafer aint really my thing, but the other styles are some of the best I’ve seen in a long time. Mark McNairy is making the best shoes in the world imho.

Jason J.on January 5, 2010 @ 11:45 PM:

Wow, those chukkas are outstanding.

Ericon January 5, 2010 @ 11:51 PM:

A winning combination…these shoes are the tits!

JDon January 6, 2010 @ 12:07 AM:

Saw these (or an earlier version of these) at the EG store in Tokyo a few months ago. Amazing looking shoes.

Brian Milleron January 6, 2010 @ 12:18 AM:

The regular longwings are outstanding.

ATrueGolferon January 6, 2010 @ 12:24 AM:

Absolutely Stunning!

Robinon January 6, 2010 @ 12:35 AM:

Are they going to be sold mismatched or was that done just for the photos?

himelatoron January 6, 2010 @ 8:00 AM:

what kind of leather is the pebble grain?

Tonyon January 6, 2010 @ 8:42 AM:

I’ve always found the idea of an English-made Longwing Brogue (AKA An American Brogue) to be rather ironic. The chukka is lovely though…

KHon January 6, 2010 @ 10:38 AM:

The Tricker’s/EG collection is MUCH better.

Mitch Frankon January 6, 2010 @ 1:07 PM:

I like the peak of the wingtip — the bird’s head, I guess, to be figurative — it’s a chisel tip, not the normal smooth point. Reminds me of heraldic symbol, for some reason…

pat d.on January 6, 2010 @ 2:32 PM:

The shoes look great, but the $425 to $625 price tag is outrageous. It would be nice if designers made their products for everyone, not just rich ad executives in New York. I’d love to buy a pair of quality, made in the USA boots for less than a rent payment.

kidaon January 6, 2010 @ 2:38 PM:

For many people to buy this specific pair would be a very thought intensive decision. it’s easy to just say yeah, these shoes are great, but given the choice of a limited budget which only allowed a few pairs a year IF THAT, would they still be purchased? For this price it seems only a lucky few without a budget would even consider them and the ones who did have a budget would either be saving up for months and/or would have been looking for a shoe that fits this exact description already for awhile.

kidaon January 6, 2010 @ 2:39 PM:

^I’m speaking about the pair that was chosen to be the main photograph for the blog post if you didn’t catch that.

dandyon January 6, 2010 @ 3:00 PM:

don’t think that you’re above me, just look at your shoes!

Russell Sproutson January 6, 2010 @ 5:33 PM:

@pat d. It’s McNairy for Engineered Garments not Targetâ„¢. Would you complain about the price on a pair of Aldens?

Perhaps David Z. is more your speed my friend.

pat gon January 6, 2010 @ 6:08 PM:

butt ugly. shoes are shoes, boots are boots and never should they be confused.

silk tieson January 7, 2010 @ 11:10 AM:

I love these boots!

pat d.on January 8, 2010 @ 4:12 PM:

@Russell Sprouts. Aldens are very nice, but still a bit pricey in my opinion. I prefer my Red Wing Beckman boots. Look great, made in the USA, and I got them for just under 300.

Deanon January 10, 2010 @ 2:28 AM:

Beautiful collection. A personal spin on classic ideas that will never go out of style. As for the price. Once you make the transition to higher quality footwear, C & J, other traditionally-made footwear, here in the U.S. Alden-especially Cordovan, you’ll realize it’s worth every penny. Great things rarely come without a price. But the the way the shoes feel, the way you feel wearing them is something every man should experience. .

chrison January 13, 2010 @ 10:42 AM:

now that’s a new york version hybrid i can live with…where does one find such footwear? are they from fall 2010 or spring 2010?