A Formal Announcement Regarding the ACL Shop

Above: Cole Rood & Haan, Co. for ACL.

Since I never made a formal announcement, let me take this opportunity to walk you through some of the goods in the ACL Shop. The whole idea of launching an online store came after the idea to start making these little zipper folios to use when I travel. I would actually end up using the little bags daily while ferrying my laptop and camera from home to work. Well, the bag idea was hatched in 2005, long before ACL. When I finally got my act together and decided to move forward with the production of the bags (which will be restocking early next week) I got to thinking that a shop full of zippered folios isn’t very exciting, so I pulled together a small collection of things that I wanted to wear or use. Most of the items in the ACL Shop are unique to the store, collaborations like the Cole, Rood & Haan Co. chukka and the Billykirk canvas briefcase.

The shop is still coming into its own and come spring should have a more complete offering of goods. Many thanks to the original vendors and companies that took the time to collaborate with me in making the shop possible. The folks at Property Of… which collaborated on a great wool messenger bag with Pendleton, Cole Rood & Haan Co. who turned out an amazing Kudu desert boot — special for ACL, Chris and Kirk from Billykirk for always being up for any crazy idea I throw their way and lastly for Mark McNairy who has taught me much and always being up to take me to my factory!

ACL & Co
Mark McNairy for ACL & Co.
Pendleton x Property Of... wool messenger bags. This is the first collaboration for Property Of...
Billykirk x ACL & Co. canvas briefcase based on a WWII design.
Some beads & trinkets coming to the shop this week...

Comments on “A Formal Announcement Regarding the ACL Shop

jeremyon December 14, 2009 @ 1:31 PM:

pants man, those cargos are amazing but do you have any fit pics of them? are they the same ones mark has on in http://mistermort.typepad.com/mister_mort/2009/08/amazing-cargos.html ?

i await with wallet in hand.

Paulon December 14, 2009 @ 2:03 PM:

Why not make the shoes even more expensive…..

Tomtomon December 14, 2009 @ 2:17 PM:

Whats with that paper? Does it take fountain pen ink nicely?

Do you ship to the UK?

Michael Williamson December 14, 2009 @ 2:27 PM:

Jeremy — Yes in that photo McNairy is wearing the cargo pants in Khaki…

Paul — sorry if you think they are too expensive. In my mind they are a good value.

We ship to nearly everywhere.

Toddon December 14, 2009 @ 3:06 PM:

I wear orthotics. Can I put them in your shoes? It’s hard to find stylish shoes that will take orthotics.

A Treasury of...on December 14, 2009 @ 3:10 PM:

Can I chime in and state that I’d love if you produced the Cigarette Bag in any of the tweed fabrics.

Any plans for that?

Jordanon December 14, 2009 @ 3:53 PM:

it would be cool if you could post info regarding the fit of the beautiful cargos: rise, inseam? Do you find they run true to size in the waist? can you compare them to any other brand of pants, so a prospective buyer can figure out if they’re going to be the right size? Many thanks in advance,

Timon December 14, 2009 @ 4:19 PM:

The buffalo plaid messenger is so cool…

Ryanon December 14, 2009 @ 4:31 PM:

Really digging that Harris Tweed laptop case. It would fit my new 15″ macbook pro quite nice. Good work.

Ryanon December 14, 2009 @ 4:40 PM:

Bag’s were a great idea. Stash my knife, flashlight, notebook and pens in there and I’m good to go. So much classier than going shoulder deep into my backpack.

Any plans on wallets in the near future? I take it as a sign from God I lost my shitty Sears bifold.

Steveon December 14, 2009 @ 6:01 PM:

These prices are ridiculous. Get some perspective.

Samon December 14, 2009 @ 6:01 PM:

Mike, nice job on the dry goods. I hope the business is successful!

Jonon December 14, 2009 @ 7:36 PM:

Why does everything has to be made in the US?

Isn’t this a bit racist? I don’t think I’m better than any Asian.

Giving a job to an Asian is just as good as giving a job to an American.

Michael Williamson December 14, 2009 @ 7:37 PM:

Who said everything had to be made in America? Asia, Europe and America are all represented here.

Jonason December 14, 2009 @ 8:41 PM:

Not racist at all. How or why would you even suggest that is unfathomable to me. You must explain how someone promoting products made in his own country of birth (or at least residence) is racist.

danbon December 15, 2009 @ 1:23 AM:

Great stuff but prices are too high in my opinion. What sets that desert boot apart from say the Clarks desert boot in terms of quality?

Kyleon December 15, 2009 @ 11:51 AM:

$250 for a bag made out of a Pendleton wool blanket and “leather accents”? I think you’re leaning a little too far on some of these prices, MW.

Andrew Kon December 15, 2009 @ 2:08 PM:

“MADE IN NORTHHAMPTON, ENGLAND BY ENGLISH PEOPLE.” how can we all be so sure that no immigrants of any origin were involved in the making of these?

Michael Williamson December 15, 2009 @ 3:04 PM:

If someone emigrated to England are they not English? But really, I’ve been there and they are all English.

Also, Kyle if you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Vote with your wallet.

ABon December 15, 2009 @ 3:16 PM:

The Billykirk L.L. Bean USN bag looks dope.

Paisleyon December 15, 2009 @ 8:21 PM:

Sexy shoes—keep up the good work MW.

Charles Bixon December 16, 2009 @ 11:24 AM:

How idiotic and ill considered it is to cry racism just because ACL sells products made in the USA. Apparently someones’ crazy brains are in over drive. Wonderful products Michael, keep up the great work. Quality, coupled with being well made, always costs more. The products tend to last longer. I love American trad products. The internet has provided a front seat to some of the best work and upcoming work available. Quit your whinning and man up.

TKon December 16, 2009 @ 11:40 AM:

The longwings in the shop are killer. I’m now cursing my 6’6″ frame frame and the size 13 feet that came with it.

But the new shop is great, man. Love what you’re doing.

Andrew Kon December 16, 2009 @ 9:20 PM:

Yes, I should clarify my early comment, and emphasize as much distance as possible from the silly idiots talking about racism. I simply meant, there are many legal workers and residents in England, America, and elsewhere who have not adopted the citizenship of their new nation. So, yeah, you can emigrate to England and not be be English.

jacobbon December 16, 2009 @ 11:23 PM:

Some interesting stuff but much too rich for my blood. Where are the recession goods?

Tucoon December 17, 2009 @ 4:06 AM:

The bags are great. Good luck with everything. I’m not going to spend $375 for a pair of shoes when I can buy a pair of Trickers, Aldens, or for that matter Brooks Brothers. A pair of bucks cost 190 dollars.

William Harrisonon December 17, 2009 @ 6:26 PM:

Absolutely too expensive, the designs are great, the prices are for the same group of people that two years ago bought _____________ and three years from now will buy ___________.

While living your life in costume may not be morally reprehensible, it sure is costly.

Daveon December 18, 2009 @ 2:13 PM:

The Mister Mort New Era hats are nice. Great idea. Not sure about the apostrophe in the “fedora’s” one. Is it meant to suggest possession or plurality? Maybe a dumb question but in this domain where no detail goes unsweated, I thought I’d ask.

yukoon December 20, 2009 @ 11:36 PM:

reading the comments on the posts here are always entertaining (and sometimes jaw dropping). can you just put a link to Wal-Mart on you website? I think they’ll find exactly what they are looking for there.

keep up the good work.

Patrickon December 21, 2009 @ 8:06 AM:

@ yuko

Yeah, that’s it. People who don’t think that $60.00 for a baseball cap or $395.00 for a Chukka is reasonable should just go to Walmart. What a toolbag.

Dadon December 21, 2009 @ 8:46 AM:

Nice job son

Markon December 23, 2009 @ 12:51 AM:

Those McNairy chukkas remind me of some brick soled bucks I saw somewhere…

Makikoon December 31, 2009 @ 4:47 AM:

Hi. Love your blog and love all the designs above.
    If you want to sell any of those to Japan, let me know!
    I am not a distributor but a consultant for many specialty shops in Japan ;))

Zanderon December 31, 2009 @ 11:07 AM:

First time to your site. I’m impressed.
    The prices on the boots, if well-made, seem reasonable to me.
    On the other hand, the prices on the caps seem inexplicably high, but maybe I’m missing something and am just not the right demographic for them.
    $100 for a cap that reads ACL seems very 2004 to me.
    Speaking of older trends, some of these comments about racism are so ridiculous they ought to be funny (but are not) – whoever brought up racism is plain stupid.
    It’s refreshing to find a site championing American-made products,

Felarcaon January 6, 2010 @ 11:59 PM:

Love the Jack Boot. Not sure I can justify them over a pair of Clarks at that price but Lord its tempting.

Jasonon January 9, 2010 @ 8:57 PM:

Applaud the blog, the store, and the goods, but the pricing seems quite high for what is being offered here.