Have Gun — Will Travel

Thinking about getting that written on a calling card, “Have Gun — Will Travel” just like Paladin in the late 50s, early 60s Western TV and radio show of the same name. I obviously wasn’t around to see any of this show on TV, but I was watching Stand by Me over Thanksgiving and the fellas were singing the theme song throughout the movie. Interestingly enough, the theme song was also sung as a cadence in the movie Full Metal Jacket, one of my all time favorites. I have been watching Have Gun Will Travel on DVD via Netflix and the series has become some sort of a guilty pleasure. The Western genre really has some gems and this series does not disappoint. Hell, Charles Bronson even shows up in the first season.

A great theme song for a great Western. Queue it up. And while we are at it, what is your favorite Western?

Comments on “Have Gun — Will Travel

L.A.Son December 1, 2009 @ 5:53 PM:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly…hands down.

dwatton December 1, 2009 @ 5:56 PM:

I always thought “Have Gun – Will Travel” would be a sicko band name. Good call.

Chrison December 1, 2009 @ 6:04 PM:

RUPTUREreporton December 1, 2009 @ 6:26 PM:

Outlaw Josey Wales

Bradon December 1, 2009 @ 6:41 PM:

High Noon is an amazing movie with an amazing theme song, and I’ll always love Winchester ’73. Gonna have to agree with LAS though… those Clint Eastwood movies are hard to beat.

Andrewon December 1, 2009 @ 6:51 PM:

Sergio Leone’s are obviously great.

I also love the Man Who Shot Liberty Valence. Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne in a John Ford film. So good.

More recently, I dug the 3:10 to Yuma remake a few years back and Deadwood was a great tv show. Wonder if Milch will ever make those movies.

Cliffordon December 1, 2009 @ 7:21 PM:

You’ll probably really dig Wagon Train if you want vintage TV western.

Django is great camp. And The Wild Bunch is a classic.

Nelson December 1, 2009 @ 7:25 PM:

Hand down – Once Upon a Time in The West – uncut.

dougon December 1, 2009 @ 7:43 PM:

Saturday night TV with my Dad,circa 1961 : Navy Log, followed by Paladin, and then he would make a big bowl of popcorn for Gunsmoke.

RJon December 1, 2009 @ 9:24 PM:

The Magnificent Seven, Once Upon a Time in the West, and Duck, You Sucker.

Adrianon December 1, 2009 @ 9:36 PM:

The Searchers.

Batemanon December 1, 2009 @ 10:19 PM:

Got a huge smile seeing this on your blog. Only 24 years old, but have seen every episode of Paladin. Thought I was the only sane person under 60 years of age who watches/watched Paladin. That business card! oh man.

Drewon December 1, 2009 @ 10:20 PM:

The Searchers / One Eyed Jacks / McCabe and Mrs. Miller

JFDon December 1, 2009 @ 11:00 PM:

Although I was under 10 at the time, I enjoyed The Rebel (with Nick Adams as Johnny Yuman), The Rifleman (with Chuck Connors). and, of course, Maverick (with James Garner). They remain favorite TV series.

Kenyanon December 1, 2009 @ 11:08 PM:

Mister Sergio Leone….ALL THE WAY!

BLVon December 1, 2009 @ 11:26 PM:

High Plains Drifter

RUPTUREreporton December 1, 2009 @ 11:50 PM:

Clint Eastwood owns the western. He’s probably got 5 in the top 10 easy.

xtimxon December 1, 2009 @ 11:57 PM:

less recent: high plains drifter
    more recent: the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford.

maximillianstarbuckleon December 2, 2009 @ 5:42 AM:

Red River is a classic. John Wayne & Montgomery Clift. Can’t argue with the Great Spaghetti Westerns and the great John Ford and Sam Peckimpah.

Paulon December 2, 2009 @ 9:30 AM:

Obviously, Fievel Goes West has the best western theme song ever… Just kidding, I don’t remember how that goes at all.

thelast1aughon December 2, 2009 @ 9:34 AM:

Outlaw Josey Wales.

Best Cast: Magnificent Seven

Best fistfight scene: that one country store fistfight in Shane.

Best Scene: (obvious, I know, but still…) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awskKWzjlhk&feature=related

Best Character: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u5A0H6PkqE

Also, if you liked High Noon, check out this short my friends made for the 48 hour film fest (http://www.48hourfilm.com/ ). They came in 2nd in Boston. They did a rewrite of the amazing theme song Brad mentioned and I put together the backing music. http://www.vimeo.com/4590537

ad easeon December 2, 2009 @ 10:21 AM:

Yeah, has to be ‘Once Upon A Time In The West’. Tarantino owes a lot to Leone. NIce Bronson cameo too.

Shaneon December 2, 2009 @ 11:10 AM:

I haven’t seen many westerns, but 3:10 to Yuma and Tombstone are great. Shane is a pretty good one too. People always quote that one around me. I wonder why.

Also, that theme song was sung by the boys in Stand By Me when they go looking for Ray Brower.

Jotaon December 2, 2009 @ 11:29 AM:

The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Ms. P and Con December 2, 2009 @ 2:14 PM:

One Upon A Time in the West is the non plus ultra. And Claudia Cardinale’s in it too.

Moneyon December 2, 2009 @ 6:44 PM:

If all you needed to get a job was to have a gun, only the liberals would be out of work. I am not up too much on the old stuff but I love Unforgiven.

ad easeon December 2, 2009 @ 8:41 PM:

One of my all-time favorite film quotes:

How can you trust a man who wears belts AND suspenders? Man can’t even trust his own pants.

-Frank (Henry Fonda) from ‘Once Upon A Time In The West’

Moneyon December 3, 2009 @ 1:25 AM:

Does Blazing Saddles count?

Bunnyon December 3, 2009 @ 3:49 AM:

“Tell them Valdez is Coming”. The big leather bag in the wagon in front of the sod house is pretty great. I also liked the novel more than the book. Not in that ‘I preferred the book’ way, but I really liked the book.

Tintinon December 3, 2009 @ 11:55 AM:

Check out Boone’s bad guy opposite Randolph Scott in, The Tall T. Obscure and until recently not available on DVD. Boone is the most likeable nasty SOB I’ve ever seen…next to me.

tons of landon December 3, 2009 @ 10:48 PM:

outlaw josey wales is brilliant. numerous other eastwood movies are up there as well, but I’m continually surprised by the number of people who have not seen the Robert Altman film McCABE AND MRS. MILLER. sit down with that at 9pm with a 6 pack or your beverage of choice and you will go to sleep riled up and contented. Leonard Cohen soundtrack doesn’t hurt either. love that movie.

Clemmons Harrisonon December 4, 2009 @ 11:43 AM:

Anything Clint for me and everybody has covered it pretty well but I’d like to add
    Pale Rider, Unforgiven and The Proposition w Guy Pearce based in 1880s Australia–wicked!

scotton December 7, 2009 @ 12:51 PM:

gentlemen, i’d like to introduce Have Gun Will Travel

Roberton December 17, 2009 @ 12:28 PM:

Have Gun, Will Travel–the greatest tv western series ever, with the greatest character ever.

Best Western Movie–Once Upon A Time In the West,; Best Cast and Score: The Magnificient Seven; Best Story: High Noon;

and MOST OVERRATED: HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER–I have a lot of issues with this film–acceptable to me as a horror movie posing as a western.

PS: If I were one of the few survivors, I would wire Paladin, asap.

Colorado Bobon December 18, 2009 @ 11:05 AM:

When I was in high school a laundry soap manufacturer offered the Palladin calling card in it’s boxes of detergent. I kept that card for a few years, and it always smelled like Tide. Not very authentic, but I’d give my eye teeth to have it today, Plus the Hopalong Cassidy lunch box, Roy Rodgers six shooters……. But I do still have my Davy Crocket coonskin cap! Ah, good times.

bob in exileon December 31, 2009 @ 11:15 PM:

The first time I ever heard the words “kung fu” was on have gun will travel…about 1954. A few years later David Carridine made them more popular. But a chinese character that Paladin was trailing was the first .