An Industrial Workspace State of Mind

It is obvious that David Neville and Marcus Wainwright — the guys behind Rag & Bone — have great taste. Practically all of the clothing the brand turns out ends up on my wish list and with the opening of the company’s new SoHo store, you can add art to that list. The Mercer Street shop is currently featuring an installation of photos titled “Workspace,” from photographer Joseph Holmes. The beautiful images center around — you guessed it — people’s desks, which often end up being cluttered workbenches and messy industrial nooks around New York City. Holmes (pictured here at the Rag & Bone party this past week with actress Sienna Miller and Messers Wainwright and Neville) grew up in a factory town in Pennsylvania and has a talent for showing the beauty in industrial aesthetics. The full Workspace exhibit can be seen online here, or take a walk over to Rag & Bone at 119 Mercer Street in New York.

Comments on “An Industrial Workspace State of Mind

Speedmasteron October 21, 2009 @ 11:51 AM:

Very nice pics. And that workspace definitely looks well-used! ;-)

Danon October 21, 2009 @ 11:54 AM:

Rag & Bone is great…but why did “made in china” labels start showing up on their latest collection?

a.b.on October 21, 2009 @ 12:03 PM:

because unless you want to pay $1500 for a merino wool sweater, it just doesnt’t make sense to produce certain things (like knits) in the US. sad, but true- the industry just doesn’t exist here anymore….

Seanon October 21, 2009 @ 12:32 PM:

It will be a shame if this comment section, that should be about these beautiful images, turns into a whining post about Rag & Bone.

BFon October 21, 2009 @ 12:53 PM:

always a fan of joseph holmes’ work. glad to see a post about it here.

Matton October 21, 2009 @ 1:06 PM:

At made in China cost, how come you still have to pay premium prices? Wonder how anyone will buy anything when the only jobs left here will be middle-man or working poor? The industry doesn’t exist because of a combination of deregulation and free-trade.

InqMindon October 21, 2009 @ 1:19 PM:

Nice… Have they got any pictures of the Chinese factories where their clothing is made??

williamon October 21, 2009 @ 1:21 PM:

I always love to see the photos of people’s work spaces. They help to remind me that I’m not the only one whose desk is an exercise in controlled chaos.

Alexon October 21, 2009 @ 4:34 PM:

Nice, some pretty cool shots. Makes you spend time just starring at all the little things on the desks, on the walls and allover the areas these desks are in.

Where are the Sienna Miller pics ?

R & B is a great brand but it is too expensive…sadly. Luckily there’s no shortage of Chambray and other workwear inspired brands that are undercutting R & B !

Isaac Buieon October 21, 2009 @ 6:32 PM:

Was not aware of Mr. Holmes work until now…truly beautiful. Very grateful for ACL’s great eye and sensibility. Much thanks for this great post.

newgrasson October 22, 2009 @ 2:05 AM:

Wow, I love these photos…a lot.

donnyon October 22, 2009 @ 10:00 AM:

Just found your website and love it! Especially the little smiley in the footer. Nice touch.

K.I.D Collectiveon October 22, 2009 @ 12:38 PM:

these photos do bring meaning to the term work. great post.

bobon October 22, 2009 @ 1:18 PM:

the second desk is so orderly, it’s like someone organized it using the grid system.

Georgeon October 23, 2009 @ 4:45 AM:

Great photos. Thanks for the heads up.

Nickon October 23, 2009 @ 8:59 AM:

These are really excellent, and I’m sure will beautifully compliment their store … I’ll have to pop in and check them out in person. I’m hoping they’re printed large enough and hung at the appropriate level that I can imagine actually sitting at each of the work areas.

Dovimaon October 23, 2009 @ 1:59 PM:

These photos really show the (vanishing?) beauty of working with your hands. So many jobs today are in the ephemeral realm of “solutions” and “information,” where the only thing made with hands is carpal tunnel syndrome. I’m a victim of this, as my desk is centered around the computer and typing. These images really show how much more we can do with our hands if only we were motivated to do so. Perhaps Rag & Bone is trying to promote a return to industrial industriousness, but then, as other commenters posted, why are they abandoning American sewing tables for those overseas?

Jordanon October 26, 2009 @ 12:05 AM:

Quite an inspiring collection. ACL ever think of having readers submit pics of their own workspaces? With the clientele found on these pages I would love to see what everyone surrounds their workspace with.

I'm Revoltingon November 2, 2009 @ 2:19 AM:

I second Jordan’s suggestions — I find the places where people do creative work to be more inspiring than the ubiquitous tidied-up sitting room pic.

Danielon November 2, 2009 @ 5:28 PM:

Joseph Holmes’ work really deserves more attention, and I’m glad you’re spreading the word. ACL is an interesting venue for this particular set of photos, since I remember you did a few features on people’s workspaces a few months ago (not sure if that’s still happening, but I remember reading about Eugene Tong’s desk and some other interesting ones).

For the record, they are here:

Mauroon November 9, 2009 @ 4:03 PM:

nice to see people care where things are made – there is some honest companies out there, you just have to look a little longer…
    does seem a bit like cheating showing these pictures…

sennahon November 13, 2009 @ 7:42 AM:

this is my absolute favourite photo-series for quite a long time!