The Perfect Weekend Companion

Saturdays and Sundays in the fall only mean one thing, football. Back in Ohio it is basically all people care about (not so much in Cleveland this year, but we are having a rebuilding decade). Recently I discovered Original Leather Head footballs, the perfect companion for chilly fall afternoons. Designed and crafted by Paul Cunningham (a former photo editor at Major League Baseball), Leather Heads are hand-sewn in New Jersey from American leather (via Horween in Chicago and Prime in Maine) and like many heirloom quality goods, they only get better with age. The footballs are so good looking my only dilemma is whether to use it or not. Maybe the solution is to buy two; one to use, one to just look at??

In addition to making great looking footballs, Cunningham Classics got its start with Lemon Ball, a line of throwback handsewn leather baseballs. Read more about Paul Cunningham (clearly a man with great taste in sporting goods and movies) from his Etsy feature this past summer.

Comments on “The Perfect Weekend Companion

nickon October 5, 2009 @ 11:35 AM:

What size balls do they make? I can’t throw a pro sized football without looking like a girl.

Michael Williamson October 5, 2009 @ 11:37 AM:

The Leather Head footballs are slightly smaller their official NFL cousins. So maybe you will be able to look less girly with one of these. —ACL

ad easeon October 5, 2009 @ 11:54 AM:

Good lookin out. Love these balls. Gotsta pick one up ASAP.

L.A.Son October 5, 2009 @ 12:09 PM:

wow…those look amazing…perfect post to get amped up for MNF’s myriad of storylines for tonight…

Greg Don October 5, 2009 @ 12:18 PM:

Thanks for the link Michael. I just ordered one. No way I could pass on this one.

Michael Williamson October 5, 2009 @ 12:20 PM:

Fuck, I think these bad boys are going to sell out. I should have ordered one THEN posted! ha Good work Greg D — way to support American artisans…

Paul Cunninghamon October 5, 2009 @ 12:45 PM:

Hey, thanks for the plug!

I designed LEATHER HEAD™ footballs for normal hands, like mine, so no need to be an NFL behemoth to throw these.

Paul Cunningham

SmallBallson October 5, 2009 @ 12:58 PM:

Great product I just ordered mine, thanks for the heads-up on these!

F.E. Castleberryon October 5, 2009 @ 1:49 PM:

Running to grab one of these brilliant balls right now…

Kevinon October 5, 2009 @ 2:38 PM:

This would make a great gift. I might get one for my brother for Christmas. Just need to make sure the dog doesn’t get after it.

Memphis88on October 5, 2009 @ 2:39 PM:

Certainly beautiful craftsmanship, but $95 is pretty steep for a football.

Paulon October 5, 2009 @ 4:50 PM:

Wow! Just look at the quality of that leather! New – they look older and seasoned with the oil of the scrimmage. Great post- superb quality.

Davidon October 5, 2009 @ 4:53 PM:

The card holders are nice too.

Mark C.on October 5, 2009 @ 5:03 PM:

This would go PERFECTLY with one of those old-school leather football helmets. If I had one, I’d totally wear it while carry my matching football around like an outfit!

Mark C.on October 5, 2009 @ 5:41 PM:

^^correction: *carrying*

stephanieon October 5, 2009 @ 7:25 PM:

Ordering posthaste. Perfect last minute anniversary gift for my fellow. Thanks!

Isaac Buieon October 6, 2009 @ 12:46 AM:

Another great nugget of coolness out on the periphery.

Michelleon October 6, 2009 @ 6:59 AM:

Never in a million years did I ever imagine myself ever saying that I’d want to buy a football, let alone an American football, but now you’ve shared this, I’m not even thinking if I want one, I’m thinking where I’m going to put it!!

Definitely a design classic in my book.

Thadon October 6, 2009 @ 10:09 AM:

I have to say that that is one of the nicest looking footballs that I have seen in a long time! When I have a son, I would be proud to be seen playing toss with one of those.

doaneon October 6, 2009 @ 8:47 PM:

Love the red stitching on the dark brown leather.

Classics Patrioton October 11, 2009 @ 10:10 PM:

It’s beautiful, and made in America, too. What more could you want? Well, affordability would be nice, but that won’t happen anytime soon. *sigh*

brooklynboyon October 12, 2009 @ 11:25 AM:

Bought mine. Should arrive Thursday. Can’t wait. What a refreshing find.

Jeffon October 15, 2009 @ 9:09 PM:

Mine arrived today…a nice, quality AMERICAN made football. I already love it and can’t wait to toss it around with my friends and family!! Highly recommend one, even just to hold while watching football on the couch.

Leifon October 26, 2009 @ 10:42 PM:

They look like real works of art,,,
    I noticed they don’t have the standard pebbled leather, which of course gives a good grip.
    The smoother leather on these looks like they’d render us all “butterfingers” as we go deep.
    Why no pebbled leather?

Paul Cunninghamon October 29, 2009 @ 6:27 PM:

I was meticulous in designing these footballs for play. First; I designed the ball to be smaller than an NFL ball, so that it can be gripped by average size hands. Second; I auditioned countless types of leather, the goal being grippability. A goal which I achieved. Third; they are designed to be more supple than a rock hard NFL ball. They are firm, but they are significantly easier to catch and throw than the official balls made by Wilson and Nike. Don’t be deceived by the photos; Leather Head footballs are designed to be played with.

Paul Cunningham