Wants & Desires | Shopping Orvis

Since we are riffing on the arrival of autumn weather, what store could be better to highlight than the perennial fall favorite, Orvis. The hook and bullet shop has a pretty awesome line-up for fall including some tasty Alden boots, loads of Barbour and all of the waspy staples that one would ever need. When I worked in Midtown (Manhattan), I would sneak away and waste all sorts of time at the Orvis outpost on Fifth Avenue. I love the idea of being in a massive city and looking at fly fishing accoutrements and other assorted man-gear. Some of my favorite items below.

Alden Aviator boot

Barbour Border Jacket in navy

Braided hoof pick belts

Barbour zip-in tartan plaid lined vest

Le Chameau leather-lined men’s Chasseur

Barbour wool 6-pocket Revere jacket.

Red Wing Cannon Valley boot

Col. Littleton men’s leather shave kit

Viyella shirts

Cotton and canvas Briar pants

Comments on “Wants & Desires | Shopping Orvis

Sammyon September 18, 2009 @ 2:11 PM:

The Barbour coat and vest, briar pants, and rubber boots are very much in the upland tradition. Are you a bird hunter? The season is just about to start off (it did if you count dove). If you are ever in the Sacramento area during the fall, look me up and I will take you out on a pheasant hunt.

Jedd Roseon September 18, 2009 @ 2:29 PM:

Those hoof pick belts are the perfect storm. Real solid.

DAMon September 18, 2009 @ 2:47 PM:

“hook and bullet shop” – Love that.
    Boots, Pants, Belt – Covet.

Matton September 18, 2009 @ 2:59 PM:

Those Red Wing Cannon Valley boots look suspiciously like the Iron Rangers…wink, wink.

B.deR. Weston September 18, 2009 @ 3:22 PM:

As an owner of the Col. Littleton shave kit, I must advise against it. The rolling nature of the kit makes for unnecessary bulk while packing. Otherwise, great stuff! Love that Barbour.

Ryan Shadrinon September 18, 2009 @ 3:49 PM:

Thanks for the kind words about Orvis — I am the new director of menswear for the company, and a big fan of ACL. The fall collection is my first, so I’m very excited (and pleased you took note, as well.)

DW95MVPon September 18, 2009 @ 3:56 PM:

Do you know if clothes at Orvis run large due to their outdoor nature?

james/10engineson September 18, 2009 @ 4:17 PM:

dying for Orvis to bust out a little bit. to hark back to the recent Levis post, Orvis must have a wealth of historical data to mine (much like LLBean). look forward to any developments from Ryan and co.

Alexon September 18, 2009 @ 4:33 PM:

Very nice, there’s an Orvis store 8 seconds from where I am right now. Might walk over there right now….

rpbharveyon September 18, 2009 @ 5:58 PM:

Trips to the city (Philadelphia) while growing up were often sweetened by getting to select a few flies in the Orvis shop, great store!

Stephanieon September 18, 2009 @ 7:44 PM:

My dad is an avid fly-fisherman, and he swears by many things Orvis. One of the first things I ever permanently “borrowed” of his was an Orvis field jacket. I wore it to bits. Through the years, he’s had good luck turning up some classic pieces at their outlet stores, too.

And I agree – I would love a peek into their archives.

Roberton September 18, 2009 @ 7:58 PM:

I like the look of Orvis stuff, but I’ve never seen anything on their Web site in size small. Everything I look at starts at size Medium. Am I just looking at the wrong stuff, or do they overlook smaller men?

angeloon September 18, 2009 @ 9:03 PM:

Has there been a post about what we can expect from the ACL Shop?

singingwateron September 18, 2009 @ 9:15 PM:

I guess these are on the list for Santa?

Beefeateron September 18, 2009 @ 9:49 PM:

I purhased an Orvis Highland Tweed, 3/2 roll, that is abosolutely great. Can’t wait to wear it this fall.

Andreaon September 18, 2009 @ 10:46 PM:

When I was a small child we once drove by the Orvis store in Manchester VT and I remember being impressed by the folks trying out the fly rods in the little pond next to the store. No idea if they’re still in the same location.

danon September 19, 2009 @ 1:52 AM:

Does Orvis take Icebreaker or Ibex wool garments and relabel them as their own?

Jon September 19, 2009 @ 7:13 AM:

Orvis are nice, but these are much better: http://esquivelshoes.com/

They can also do it custom for the same price as that Orvis boot.

ad easeon September 20, 2009 @ 4:10 PM:

Just checked out Orvis’ footwear selection. Pretty extensive. I had no clue. I saw a lot of tasty boots. Might have to pick up the Alden Aviator.

glon September 21, 2009 @ 11:03 AM:

Andrea, I live about 3 minutes from Orvis in Manchester VT and I can happily tell you that the flagship store and the ponds are all still there. Orvis is one of Manchester’s big draws and it’s not only a great company it’s also a great community-minded neighbor.

Aaronon September 21, 2009 @ 10:35 PM:

That hoof pick belt really caught my eye. It looked so good I went over to the Orvis site for a look, my first in a couple of years. I’ll have to drop in their store here in San Francisco and see what else they’ve got.

JPon September 23, 2009 @ 10:16 AM:

I have driven by an Orvis store for the last 4 years and had no idea there were such cool things inside. I plan to stop in and check it out.

Johnon September 30, 2009 @ 10:50 PM:

The Orvis store near me is kind of a Bait and tackle type of operation and they don’t carry anything eastheticaly pleasing….They had the Barbour coats though, very nice and pretty expensive. Let’s see if Urban Outfitters makes a cheaper version next season!

Matton November 27, 2009 @ 7:48 PM:

I had a fairly amicable divorce…until possession of the Barbour Bedale jacket came up! She lets me borrow it on occasion. Ye gods…how could I divorce a woman who loves to wear that jacket?