An Updated Lean

A young lady launches the USS ACL.

There has been talk of updated ACL for quite some time and today that finally came true. While the previous theme was an old friend and a workhorse, it was time to take a step forward. The creative and web design for ACL 2.0 was all handled by Mr. Bobby Solomon of Kitsune Noir fame. So if you say that ACL looks a little like +KN then we are flattered, cause Bobby’s site is top notch. I should also say that Bobby is a dream to work with, so if you need a talented designer, look no further. I’m grateful to him for putting up with my stupid questions and always being game to explore my ideas.

Another exciting development is ACL’s first partner in J.Crew. The barometer for ACL has always been, “would I wear it?” and J.Crew fits that mold perfectly. I have long said that I think it is one of the few companies that is treating guys right (not making them walk down stairs to a small men’s department) with their new men’s shops. Not to mention a few posts on J.Crew (men’s shop #1 & men’s shop #2) are some of the most viewed entries on the site, so it is clearly a company you all are interested in. Hope you like the new site and understand why things have been changed. I tried to keep most of the stuff in the same places, so you still know your way to the fridge in the middle of the night. But keep your hands off of those High Lifes, they’re mine.

Download Right Now

Comments on “An Updated Lean

Ryanon July 25, 2009 @ 10:46 AM:

Looks good. Ace meets KN.

Looking forward to the shop.

Jon Gaffneyon July 25, 2009 @ 10:50 AM:

Like the new look! Any teaser on what the shop will entail?

JPon July 25, 2009 @ 11:59 AM:

Looks amazing. Can’t wait for the bags… any other tricks up your sleeve?

joanna goddardon July 25, 2009 @ 12:08 PM:

love the new layout!

Paul Pincuson July 25, 2009 @ 12:14 PM:

the new layout is very handsome. brilliant.

housekeeping … ha, love that.

acl shop!!!

Veronikaon July 25, 2009 @ 1:43 PM:

So good!

wayne pateon July 25, 2009 @ 2:00 PM:

Looking good Mr. Williams. I will enjoy the fruits from your labor.

Dudeon July 25, 2009 @ 2:35 PM:

It’s not formatting correctly, there’s no left/right borders. The text is butting right up to the edge of the browser. Frankly, I don’t see an improvement over the previous format, but it’s your site.

Ryanon July 25, 2009 @ 2:39 PM:

Looks great, very clean and the ads aren’t distracting at all, and almost add to the visual appeal, very well done.

Vadim Kon July 25, 2009 @ 3:43 PM:

Nicely done sir. Cant wait to see the bags/whatever they are.

jhnon July 25, 2009 @ 4:27 PM:

I love the new design, but I miss the clean old logo.

Slambon July 25, 2009 @ 4:30 PM:

Love the new site, but loved the old logo. Cheers.

tintoon July 25, 2009 @ 5:23 PM:

a continuous blowjob

Jamieon July 25, 2009 @ 10:45 PM:

I have been on your site for close to a year now, one of my favorite “surprises” each day. love the new site.

Andyon July 25, 2009 @ 11:37 PM:

Looks good. The mp3 is a nice touch.

Varunon July 26, 2009 @ 3:02 AM:

clearly a move on for you , the site is amazing, i do think it looked fresher earlier though …

STREET ETIQUETTEon July 26, 2009 @ 3:09 AM:

Hey Michael,

the new layout is great at the same time more sleek and cleaner than the last!

Keep it up .

Courtneyon July 26, 2009 @ 5:06 AM:

I absolutely adore it, Michael! I love how it feels really substantial and has a presence when you open the page…but at the same time is not busy or distracting. Love it!

Robon July 26, 2009 @ 6:18 AM:

Looks great, but lack of left border/margin makes it very difficult to read the text on many browsers – try reading it on an iPhone, serious PITA

Garretton July 26, 2009 @ 9:58 AM:

Best of luck with it. Looks great :)

DrinkMolokoon July 26, 2009 @ 11:50 AM:

On the right, it says, “Recieve ACL by email”

Receive is misspelled. FYI.

Michael Williamson July 26, 2009 @ 11:55 AM:

Good catch DrinkMoloko — we’re going to fix the typo now. Thanks!!

Simonon July 26, 2009 @ 1:24 PM:

USS ACL? No such vessel exists in the American Navy, but we can only hope and pray that if such a ship were ever commissioned that it would be mercilessly torpedoed by the Wolf Pack and its twat-ish crew raked with machine gun fire; the debris littering the sea would be Steven Alan shirts and black wayfarers. Bon voyage!

Michael Williamson July 26, 2009 @ 1:31 PM:

That was good. At least you can be creative with your hate.

Dudeon July 26, 2009 @ 2:37 PM:

And I’m surprised you’re allowing any non-glowing comments to be posted on your site.

Michael Williamson July 26, 2009 @ 3:44 PM:

I always allow the haters like yourself to talk shit. But the general crazies (and constantly negative people) get weeded out automatically. It is easy to be a big man and talk the talk in a blog comment, it is another thing to walk the walk.

Dudeon July 26, 2009 @ 4:01 PM:

“Haters”. What a broad brush you use. It’s just painful when one’s passions get cool-hunted, absorbed, diluted and turned into “Fashion”. But, like, whatever. Looking forward to when you move onto to something (anything) else.

Michael Williamson July 26, 2009 @ 4:03 PM:

I bet you are from the Military Watch Forum, right? You are diluting my passion by being here.

P.S. Period goes inside the quotes.

Ianon July 26, 2009 @ 4:41 PM:

Tasteful alterations. A nicely tailored site. I never had an issue with the previous format, but this is an improvement.

Jon Gaffneyon July 26, 2009 @ 5:13 PM:

It never ceases to amaze me that people inevitably take the time to tell you how much they hate what you (in general, not specific to Michael) do, or even more hypocritical take the time to tell you what you do is a waste of their time. Really?!? Inevitably these comments are encouraged by the anonymity provided by the internet. Everything gets “cool-hunted” at some point in history, everything is cyclical. Find a new passion if you feel so diluted. Or here’s a novel concept stick to what you like till it’s not cool again and stop worrying about everyone else. I’m in no way defending ACL, it just drives me nuts seeing people do this stuff.

Russell Sproutson July 26, 2009 @ 5:21 PM:

Hey “Dude”

Pitboss12on July 26, 2009 @ 5:58 PM:

I like the new layout. I don’t know what it is, but even the pics look cleaner and more vivid. I’m anxious to see what the Shop will offer.

Mallardon July 26, 2009 @ 6:33 PM:

Dear Michael Williams,

I suppose hanging Old Glory on the wall of your financial district condo is ‘walking the walk’, right?

Michael Williamson July 26, 2009 @ 6:34 PM:

Would it be better if it was in your Polo offices or maybe a Polo store?

P.S. Comma goes inside the quotes.

Lesli Larsonon July 26, 2009 @ 6:46 PM:

Good luck and thank you for the blog link to Archival Clothing (I think you send me more readers than Google).

Anticipating the debut of your bags, etc. I’m working on my own low grade manufacturing project right now and I’m astounded by how many small details/decisions go into the production process. We need an American List of the remaining (dwindling) US vendors still selling US made, best quality, cotton webbing, canvas fabrics, brass hardware and leather trim, etc.

RGSon July 26, 2009 @ 7:51 PM:

Love it, but miss the old links layout. Straight down the side and easier to spot new ones.

Steveon July 26, 2009 @ 9:42 PM:

Like the site, Michael. Good pick on the photo, as well.

Off The Cuffon July 26, 2009 @ 10:34 PM:

Michael – great new look, nice job.

STREET ETIQUETTEon July 26, 2009 @ 11:14 PM:

Damn Michael is a G lol like the way he handles the hate.

Nicon July 26, 2009 @ 11:55 PM:

The new site looks good. Definitely getting a KitsuneNoir vibe. Looking forward to your future endeavors.

christopheron July 27, 2009 @ 8:21 AM:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot more of the typical inane negativity on here you typically find on forums and on sites like Hypebeast.

I guess that’s the price of success.

Samon July 27, 2009 @ 8:26 AM:

Mike – the new layout looks great. I like the splash of orange (it goes well with my blue tool bar). Get it? GO METS!

Chris Bryeron July 27, 2009 @ 8:31 AM:

The new look is clean…just like your style in general. Definitely very cool.

Dave Savoieon July 27, 2009 @ 8:32 AM:

Fantastic job on the new site. Saw your article on Craft LA and was reminded of a great store in Toronto called Klaxon Howl. If you haven’t been – and your travels ever take you up this way – by all means pay them a visit. Aside from it being among Toronto’s few (only?) stockists of Sugar Cane & Buzz Rickson, Matt Robinson’s a fascinating guy and his collection of vintage military apparel is exhaustive.

Trottaon July 27, 2009 @ 8:48 AM:

Great job on the new site layout!

jkon July 27, 2009 @ 9:33 AM:

new site looks awesome. and v cool re: the j. crew partnership. Congrats!

Markon July 27, 2009 @ 10:47 AM:

Are you really surprised at the ‘hate’ that is coming down on you, Michael? The J.Crew ad seems like the culmination of the past 3-4 months of entries. Personally I have felt more like I’ve been reading advertisements over those past months rather than what your about page suggests (If you read about something on the site, it is because I think it is cool. Pure and simple.). The ad makes it that much harder for me to believe that statement.

P.S. You’re right, Street Etiquette, correcting one’s grammar is definitely ‘G’ like behavior.

P.P.S. How was my grammar?

andrewon July 27, 2009 @ 11:15 AM:

brush ’em off. keep up the good work…

Adam Christopheron July 27, 2009 @ 11:20 AM:

Why do some people have to write rude and negative remarks on other people’s websites? It’s beyond me the level of immaturity and ignorance on some people’s part, like they have nothing better to do then talk shit… I guess I was always raised with: “If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” (period inside the quotes)… New layout looks amazing… Looking forward to more great things to come, congratulations!

Tintinon July 27, 2009 @ 11:37 AM:

Very nice indeed. I’m a little hurt but live by the sword – – die by the sword.

Joseon July 27, 2009 @ 11:58 AM:

Looks great. Congratulations.

PS – I second Klaxon Howl. Matt’s a great guy, really knowledgeable. Doesn’t get enough credit in this city. I think you’d appreciate what he’s trying to do.

Andrew Kon July 27, 2009 @ 12:00 PM:

I like the new site! My only (friendly) suggestion would be a typographic/legibility one: I would not “justify” the type (meaning each line of text is spaced so that the right edge of each is aligned. This works well in very narrow columns of text where words can be manually hyphenated, such as in a newspaper and other printed contexts where the control over each line is guaranteed. However, in wider layouts with dynamic text flows, the justified right edge actually increases the difficulty of reading. The ragged right helps the eye track from line to line. I’m sure I’ll get a punch in the loafers for making this comment, but I want to stress that I have no negativity for this great site or the great new design. I like it!

STREET ETIQUETTEon July 27, 2009 @ 12:21 PM:

Mark : Being that this is Michael’s blog there is numerous ways he could of handled it without making it such a big outburst like it did. There is always someone somewhere to say something negative about you , its all about how you handle it. It puzzles me how people actually sit on there computer in their free time just to spread hate.

Agree with Adam Christopher.

Keep up the good work on ACL Michael.

samon July 27, 2009 @ 12:39 PM:

I actually prefer the new links bar/cluster – all in everything looks great

Michael Williamson July 27, 2009 @ 1:53 PM:

To the Billy who’s comment I deleted. If you would have framed that better it would have survived. As it was, that was too questionable. Sorry. You are missing the point of ACL a little. Re-read that thing I did with The FADER about made in the USA, etc.

To anyone that had a link on the old site and don’t have one here, it is just a switch over issue. Email me to remind me. Please don’t email me if your site was not linked on the old ACL.

David Harton July 27, 2009 @ 2:29 PM:

Hey MW,

The site looks great. All of your hard work has paid off. Keep it up!

Dudeon July 27, 2009 @ 3:22 PM:

Glad to see you fixed the formatting problem. My goodness these comments are fun to read. Am I allowed to be concerned that your alliance with J. Crew might mean you’ll not blog about the competitors of J. Crew?

Llywarchon July 27, 2009 @ 6:29 PM:

Great re-design. Good choice of designer. A serious lol at the sad-o haters.
    Keep doing what you’re doing ACL!

Coryon July 27, 2009 @ 6:42 PM:

To all the people that are so angry with ACL:

This is capitalist America. Go read an Ayn Rand book.

Good job Michael.

Don Gusson July 27, 2009 @ 6:55 PM:

“P.S. Period goes inside the quotes.” HA!
    Classic! Hate the hate. Keep it up, brother.

wayne pateon July 27, 2009 @ 9:54 PM:

Simon, Dude, Mallard, Tinto Gentlemen your not. Assholes undeniably so. You truly are a unsavory type.

Nickon July 28, 2009 @ 3:01 AM:

“Get rad or get lost.”

Greg Don July 28, 2009 @ 10:35 AM:

As resistant to change that I am, Congrats Michael and I will continue to check this out regularly. Thanks again for your efforts – it looks like it’s paying off.

highlycurated.comon July 28, 2009 @ 4:27 PM:

Oh dang, you finally stepped off the fence and went corporate. Nicely done, if not entirely subtle.

ericon July 29, 2009 @ 1:42 AM:

is that a smiley face at the bottom?
    i love what Bob did.
    looks nice.

denimaniacon July 29, 2009 @ 3:49 AM:

Congratulations on the beautiful new theme! It look mighty fine to me…

Steveon July 30, 2009 @ 5:48 AM:

Having been a regular reader of your blog for the last few years, I think the new layout echoes its identity extremely well. Good work Sir! As for the ‘haters,’ I’d love to read one negative comment from someone who leaves their own blog information behind.

David Higdonon July 30, 2009 @ 9:53 AM:

Love the new look. Can’t wait to see the store.

pgayedon August 4, 2009 @ 9:43 PM:

I have no doubt that you will continue to bring us high quality work, regardless of official endorsements. You deserve to be making some green on this site anyhow — you’ve put in a ton of work, guy.

Looking forward to the future,