The Thrift Find | Florsheim Royal Imperial

Speaking of tasseled loafers, check out this pair of vintage black leather Royal Imperial Florsheim shoes that I scored at a thrift store for $8. Made in the USA, natch. Eat your hearts out. Since we have already covered so much footwear ground I think I’ll just finish out tomorrow and Friday with more shoe / boot coverage. It is officially footwear week at ACL.

Comments on “The Thrift Find | Florsheim Royal Imperial

Peteskion July 15, 2009 @ 5:14 PM:

Not is a million years.

Peteskion July 15, 2009 @ 5:14 PM:

Heavy Tweed Jacketon July 15, 2009 @ 5:28 PM:

Nice condition, too. My first pair of shoes after college were Florsheim Imperial wingtips in oxblood. They wore like iron. Very nostalgic to see these.

Chrison July 15, 2009 @ 5:54 PM:

If I were to sort through our family photos from the 80’s and into the early 90’s my father would be wearing these very shoes or Bass Weejun penny loafers. For some reason he was dead against laces on dress shoes.

lanceunemodeon July 15, 2009 @ 5:57 PM:

OK, buddy… those don’t look like they came from the Goodwill in that condition. Please impart your dear readers (namely, me) with some shoe shining tips.

doaneon July 15, 2009 @ 5:57 PM:

Say no to leather mistletoe.

sorrentolenson July 15, 2009 @ 6:46 PM:

Great find! Nice and clean.

The Beggaron July 15, 2009 @ 8:44 PM:

What’s up, Mr. Williams! Care to share some of your favorite NYC thrift / vintage shopping destinations?

damienon July 15, 2009 @ 9:16 PM:

I’ve been flirting with the tassled loafer for several months ever since I spotted a pair of Barker Black ostrich loafers at a sinful discount at one of my favorite local shops. These posts might just push me over the edge. Thanks

Percy Chaysworthon July 15, 2009 @ 10:15 PM:

Anyone with confidence and style can wear them! I love my brown Allen Edmonds which look similar.

Thomas E.K.on July 16, 2009 @ 12:05 AM:

Solid score.

Mr. Morrison July 16, 2009 @ 12:36 AM:

Those are a great find. I tend to have good luck at thrift stores as well.

I you are gonna post bout shoes and boots for the rest of the week..the people may want to read about the Band Of Outsiders for Sperry collaboration from last year.

The deconstructed boat shoes that came out were great. But my favorite were the boat boots. I have a pair of the wool boat boats and they are so very awesome. I even wear them during this hot summer in NY, but just on breezy nights out.

Perhaps you already posted about it and I am just late on the game.

Paulon July 16, 2009 @ 9:41 AM:

Thumbs up on that find!

Brent Mackintoshon July 16, 2009 @ 1:52 PM:

Love those Imperials! Seeing those brings me back to when Florsheim was Florsheim.

Markon July 16, 2009 @ 4:15 PM:

Anyone know the difference between the Imperial and Royal Imperial? I found these Imperials for $4 around a year ago. They seem older than the ones posted above, and they are clearly shell cordovan, while the ones posted above aren’t. I’m thinking the Royal Imperial was a recent (90’s) addition to the line??

These are as is pictures. You can tell they were sitting in a damp basement by the mold on the shank area. The beauty of the horsehide, is after a cleaning, they look brand new. Also, check out the difference in the stitching on the inside tag and the all leather heel with V plates missing. Anyway, here are mine.

ozzie friedmanon July 16, 2009 @ 4:34 PM:

I picked up a pair just like these in Palm Springs a few years back.
    Plenty of mold in the inside though.
    Being cordovan they polished up real nice.
    Cost me all of $12.
    I dig them out once and awhile.

Alexon July 16, 2009 @ 6:11 PM:

All the baby-boomers out there are probably loving this whole resurgence of prep. I mean this is like next-level preppyness ! I’m 31 and I really don’t feel like I can pull those off. I definetly appreciate the look though!

Comfortably Smugon July 17, 2009 @ 1:12 AM:

As any gentleman financier will tell you, “Tassles for vassals.”

Make mine captoe laceups