Steven Alan | Autumn Winter 2009

Occasionally I bump into Mr. Steven Alan near Greene & Canal, on our respective walks to work. Steven is always gracious and happy to delay his trip to chat for a few minutes while I pepper him with questions about Japan and obscure American brands and the like. We seem to share a few common interests, so I am always happy to see him coming my way.

I have always thought that Steven Alan — the collection — is the perfect encapsulation of my style. Rumpled and plaid, but dressy and casual. Perfectly disheveled. The AW09 range is no different. Mr. Alan puts forward another solid collection of clothes I just want to own and wear. A look at fall after the jump.

Just a note, the jeans are from Simon Miller. Speaking of Kiwis, the model sort of has that Flight of the Conchords thing going on.

Comments on “Steven Alan | Autumn Winter 2009

Ryanon May 18, 2009 @ 9:42 AM:

ehhhhello Brit…….check.

JBon May 18, 2009 @ 10:35 AM:

Do I see some pleats there??? Great stuff, thanks.

JPon May 18, 2009 @ 10:39 AM:

and a nice pair of braided leather braces would top-off the 1st pic nicely.

D Chandleron May 18, 2009 @ 11:09 AM:

viewable as a slide show? would be much easier than individual clicks

how does the stuff fit? I like a lot of this, but I’m embarrassed to say I’ve only ever tried on Lark and Wolf (his UO line) and it was h-u-g-e.

Djangoon May 18, 2009 @ 11:12 AM:

Steve Alan fits looser than most fashion brands, but the Lark and Wolf stuff is even bigger.

I love that windowpane duffle coat.

Jeremyon May 18, 2009 @ 11:29 AM:

love the shawl collar sweatshirt…sweatshirts are so underrated

Johnny Slimson May 18, 2009 @ 11:33 AM:

Looks good — but it’s hot as hell here now. Call me in September.

chazon May 18, 2009 @ 11:51 AM:

F/W stuff makes me happy. Shades of Woolrich WM, especially in the red jacket.

Thanks for posting.

Davidon May 18, 2009 @ 11:52 AM:

Big fan of SA’s fall lines — especially the beautiful robust plaids — the spring seersucker and whimsical madras shirts just don’t do it for me. Here’s hoping the Gitman and Burkman lines make good for fall, too.

djon May 18, 2009 @ 12:00 PM:

Always liked the styling of SA, but anyone else have trouble with their shirts? They never seem to fit me correctly.. always a little too big in the body and small in the shoulders.

oleon May 18, 2009 @ 12:07 PM:

The red jacket looks perfect!

christopheron May 18, 2009 @ 12:44 PM:

Very nice stuff. If only we could get him to bring the Blacker collection to the states.

Robinon May 18, 2009 @ 3:45 PM:

SA’s clothing always look great in the pictures, but when you get them in your hands it’s hard not to be disappointed. At least he’s gotten off the reverse seam silliness from past seasons.

drinkinanddroninon May 18, 2009 @ 8:01 PM:

Looking good so far. Overall a nicely put together selection, and while very casual…catches the eye more than most.

johnnyon May 18, 2009 @ 8:30 PM:

those hats look awsome.. i didnt know they made them. i gotta pick me up one… i’m a sucker for trilby’s and paperboys :)

Hon May 19, 2009 @ 12:39 AM:

What is the obsession with Japan all about?

Chaise Alexanderon May 19, 2009 @ 5:07 AM:

SA is great. I live on Franklin and Hudson when I’m in the city so I always make it a habit to stop by the store. They always have great shoes there as well.

Adam Christopheron May 19, 2009 @ 8:28 AM:

Speaking of Steven Alan and Japan… It would be great to be able to find “blacker BY steven alan” here in the states.

Peteron May 19, 2009 @ 10:53 PM:

I agree with Robin re fit. Though, oddly, his shirts in the same size seem to fit a bit differently. Perhaps they’re cut from different patterns. I do love his aesthetic, though, and his stores do a great job of mixing brands…great for browsing if not always buying.

David Alberton May 22, 2009 @ 3:53 AM:

I would like to thank you sir. For giving this post to me, by way of Selectism. I have just recently become a fan of dressing, that reason comes from my current job, which has me dress up. I really enjoy just men’s dress where it be from streetwear like we have seen Karl Lagerfield in or it be in mens casual to men’s formal. I am a college student so I think you know how hard it is for me to get items a good price though it be something that I could fit into any outfit for the year…haha So with that said, I would like to give you this in honor and respect, Thank You!

P.S. This is a very strong collection of two seasons compiled into one. Very well distributed, I also see some of these pieces being stretched into the Spring/Summer seasons as well.

Gary Kon May 27, 2009 @ 9:21 PM:

Referring to the main photo in your post:

Now, that’s a decent look, especially if JP’s comment about adding braces were incorporated.

A reference, and two excellent sites to buy caps, FWIW:

kevinon June 1, 2009 @ 10:31 PM:

i really like the rugged/boots shoes? any idea who makes them.

Dylanon June 2, 2009 @ 2:00 PM:

Those are my actual work boots from Red Wings. they take only a month or so to fully get the beat up look, after being abused on a job site, or just walking around.