Wants & Desires | Cramp Leather Goods

There was a little gem in the back (front?) of the new issue of Free & Easy, Cramp leather goods. (That link worked last night but not today — fyi.) Cool stuff,  strange name. Lately Free & Easy seemed to be getting more bizarre by the minute, making you feel like you had taken acid and were mowing a lawn of dandelions on a John Deere tractor. Luckily the good folks who put out my favorite non-English magazine were able to shake off the psychedelic haze for the May home issue. The Cramp canvas and leather shoulder bag, plus the other items pictured below, are some great looking accessories. Definitely something I need to keep an eye out for on my next trip to Japan.

I thought the bag looked sort of pursey (is that a word?), okay lets say purse-like, until I saw the photos below. I love the double leather strap, perfect for cycling.

Smoking is basically required by law in Japan, so this leather pouch should be a best seller. One time at a Cafe in Daikanyama I remember smoking was only allowed inside, not at the tables out front. Amazing!

This wallet looks really tasty. Although, would it be tough to carry in your back pocket? I don’t like to sit on big wallets. I do like to sit on stacks of cash though, just sayin’.

Comments on “Wants & Desires | Cramp Leather Goods

BohemiaMountainon April 29, 2009 @ 2:57 PM:

drop the “+” from the end of that linked url and you’re golden

Michael Williamson April 29, 2009 @ 3:01 PM:

Thank you. It still doesn’t work for me but it might just be a local issue.

Ruttigeron April 29, 2009 @ 3:20 PM:

A purse? Oh wait it’s Japanese…nope still a purse.

John Georgeon April 29, 2009 @ 3:46 PM:

Darn, Rutty, I was gonna say purse.

The smaller items are spot on though.

janaon April 29, 2009 @ 4:04 PM:

american aesthetics, but with a utility that seems specific to japan. that sounds like a shitty kanye west song i think?

that first bag is a bit more feminine (or “pursey) than a typical bag intended for cycling, but i think that’s actually a good thing. i hate the way people walk around the streets with these super functional biking bags, regardless of whether or not they even own a bike. it’s like they need something that looks REALLY official and clunky. i much prefer the daintier purse.

yukoon April 29, 2009 @ 4:25 PM:

isn’t it called a Murse?

Sam Jacobson April 29, 2009 @ 5:02 PM:

I agree, it looks like a purse. Great place to store the lipstick, tampons, and pepper spray.

Michael Williamson April 29, 2009 @ 5:06 PM:

If only you all were as comfortable with your sexuality as the Japanese!

Sam, it seems like you know all about purses already.

Damionon April 29, 2009 @ 6:48 PM:

My dad would say, “It’s only a purse if you can’t kick the guy’s ass who calls it a purse.”

Exurban Jonon April 29, 2009 @ 6:59 PM:

The “murse” would be perfect for the new dad. That’s how I’d wanna rock the local Babies R Us.

Also it pairs perfectly with my British military-style roll-up shaving kit. (Not that anyone sees that bag.)

Memphis88on April 29, 2009 @ 7:24 PM:

That quote by your dad is awesome.

Michael Williamson April 29, 2009 @ 7:31 PM:

I agree, Damion buy your dad a beer for that one. Quick, someone make that into a tee shirt.

Zachary T. Crowmellon April 29, 2009 @ 10:05 PM:

No, thanks.

Just one more piece of evidence that the Japanese have simply copied (and admittedly sometimes bettered) the externals of Ivy/Trad/Prep/WASP style but have totally failed to acquire the inner spirit which,in the end, is what it’s all about.

Billon April 30, 2009 @ 2:02 AM:

This is not my idea of what the Japanese do well. It’s always good to remember that there is a lot of seriously ungreat fashion in Japan. An afternoon in Parco is all it takes to get that. Not to say there’s not a lot of great, but the *background* is always pretty seriously hinky. (Though I guess you could say that of just about anywhere. But still.) That bag has its hinky showing, IMO.

Michaelon April 30, 2009 @ 9:45 AM:

Was that bag sold out when you posted the link? It is now.

Steveon April 30, 2009 @ 9:54 AM:

The cigarette pouch actually makes me want to start smoking again. Great selection. No qualms with it being pursey and I couldn’t agree more with Damion’s Dad!

Ryanon April 30, 2009 @ 1:03 PM:

These look great, looking forward to your own bags…

Sam Jacobson April 30, 2009 @ 5:02 PM:

Yes, yes I do. Used to steal them on the subway. I’m not necessarily proud of this, but it is what it is.

ALon May 1, 2009 @ 12:58 AM:

what is that circular leather pouch thing hanging off the side?

Alexon May 1, 2009 @ 12:23 PM:

Hey Michael, do you know any company that is in the states or will ship here that sells a similar cigarette pack holder like that? That is one of my favorite things you’ve posted on wants & desires, need to find one now.

Patrickon October 24, 2009 @ 11:19 PM:

Has anybody not from Japan bought either the bag or the wallet? Any feedback on the items from Cramp?