Beams | Spring Summer 2009

The folks at Beams are at it again this spring. Anyone that has spent any on the Beams website will likely report frustration on a variety of levels. One being that it is hard to navigate (especially for me since I don’t speak a lick of Japanese). Second, that the online offerings aren’t as much fun as real life or even the catalogs and third the clothes aren’t available to North America / Europe.  Luckily the folks at Beams send me (us) their catalog via special delivery so we can at least know what we are missing. Torture, I know.

Perfect in everyway, 1960’s Levis.

Look at that Birdwell jacket. Holy smokes everybody.

Comments on “Beams | Spring Summer 2009

Coryon April 22, 2009 @ 11:55 AM:

Beautiful. Just beautiful. Digging the madras pants from the Dickies collaboration.

ad easeon April 22, 2009 @ 12:05 PM:

Thx High Life. Getting me hyped about my trip next month to Tokyo. MUST SET BUDGET. Especially with Twinkies along the way…

Thomon April 22, 2009 @ 12:06 PM:

Dear Japan,

If you’re going to do absolutely everything better–magazines, video games, McDonalds–could you please start asserting your global dominance by opening stores in North America? Thank you.

james foxon April 22, 2009 @ 12:06 PM:

echo Cory. somehow made madras pants look tough. brilliant.

Comfortably Smugon April 22, 2009 @ 12:06 PM:

I have to agree with Cory, those are pretty awesome, as is pretty much everything else.

samon April 22, 2009 @ 12:13 PM:

ah – Western Reserve Academy on that Champion collab – ACL you’re an ohio guy right? Ever been there – in the insanely quaint town of Hudson?

Michael Williamson April 22, 2009 @ 12:17 PM:

Good catch Sam — I am a son of Ohio and know WRA / Hudson well. Champion in Japan is soooooooo good. Mind blowing how dumb they are in the states.

Fernon April 22, 2009 @ 12:25 PM:

It really boggles my mind how superior mens fashion is to womens fashion in Japan. The latter is all about the latest trend, and the former has been about classicwear for a while now. As a woman, it makes me very jealous. Of course, the distinction isn’t too different in the US too. Hopefully womens “heritage” clothing will catch on soon..

WRAon April 22, 2009 @ 12:27 PM:

Boy, did they ever miss the colors on the WRA shirt. The lax gods would be disappointed.

Kazuoon April 22, 2009 @ 12:45 PM:

I was at BEAMS Harajuku and HightStandard! about two weeks ago and saw some American guys shopping like crazy…… It was very interesting scene because they were buying American brands such as North Face (Purple Label), Wilson and Champion. These products are just amazing and I had to wonder why they are not available here. I really do hope one day we can buy the same stuff here in U.S.

chazon April 22, 2009 @ 12:50 PM:

If we could buy it here it wouldn’t be so special anymore.

Webster Merrymanon April 22, 2009 @ 12:50 PM:

and what do you think about Caucasian Westerners who trot around in kimonos?

martylaneon April 22, 2009 @ 12:55 PM:

You can order the Birdwell jackets off of the Birdwell website. There are many custom options, too, even plaid flannel lining.

yukoon April 22, 2009 @ 1:32 PM:

at least someone/country is keeping up the classic/vintage american brands and manufacturing techniques… otherwise, they would be lost forever, right? (i.e. loopwheeler)

ajson April 22, 2009 @ 2:44 PM:

Cannot order Birdwell jackets ANYWHERE, only trunks….

mikeon April 22, 2009 @ 3:39 PM:

i think its interesting that they chose the 501 Z xx

jeremyon April 22, 2009 @ 3:41 PM:

ajs, you need to hit the click to order button on the birdwell site. there you will see the jacket option.

samon April 22, 2009 @ 4:15 PM:

yeah – holy shit birdwell’s site is both amazing and a major pain in the ass to use. but on that order form you can customize the shit outta those jackets – i want one so badly!

ajson April 22, 2009 @ 5:19 PM:

wow, thanks jeremy, have been ordering trunks forever nut never noticed jackets. Do you know anyone who’s ordered one?

Also, Have been following site, and love it. Am a huge clothes freak in L.A., and a bit of a snob clothes-wise. Going to NYC for a few days and will hit my usual spots–Bergdorf men, Paul Stuart, Paul Smith, Peter Eliot, Leffot, plus downtown. Would LOVE to hear suggestions. Thanks, and just phenomenal taste Michael…..

Vivon April 22, 2009 @ 6:12 PM:

Does anyone know where I can order the Kelty backpacks in the States? They’re definitely not available at the usual Kelty retailers. I really want that book bag!

oleon April 22, 2009 @ 6:32 PM:

Isn’t it possible to use to buy clothes from beams??

citizen wayneon April 22, 2009 @ 8:06 PM:

Ahhh the land of the rising sun. I’ll be embracing her in May! I’m already stressed by the financially
    unwise purchases that will be made. Miller Time
    your not helping matters by dangling this in my face!

jeremyon April 22, 2009 @ 11:55 PM:

ajs, I don’t know anyone who has ordered one. I have been going back and forth about a raglan sleeve hooded jacket for over a year. I can’t seem to pull the trigger. Too many choices.

williamon April 23, 2009 @ 9:28 AM:

Diggin’ the Surf Line Hawaii long sleeve printed woven. I saw the SLH line at The Exclusive show in Las Vegas and it looked great. SLH is really playing up their vintage hawaiian heritage and japanese fabric craftsmanship. It’s too bad their website has such a limited offering.

janaon April 23, 2009 @ 3:35 PM:

Wow, this is great. I’ve been seeing a lot of really dapper Japanese men here in San Francisco, and the way that they interpret classic American basics is really fresh. There is something about it that is very different from the way that Italians, say for example, wear blue jeans or polos. But it is equally interesting. It’s funny, because real American sportswear is so great and I think sometimes we need other people to tell us so.

Colbyon April 23, 2009 @ 9:56 PM:

One of my friends went to WRA, glad to see someone else picked up on that.

B. Beardon April 24, 2009 @ 1:22 AM:

That Post’ O Alls Jacket is retartedly delicious. AdEase wish I could join you like old times…. ah charcoal grilled beefs.

backyard billon April 24, 2009 @ 5:11 AM:

i could do some serious damage here!!

stephanieon April 24, 2009 @ 7:49 PM:

I would do a minor crime to obtain the WRA shirt … and the Kelty backpack while I was at it.