LIFE Archive | Brooklyn Navy Yard

When it comes to the Life photo archive I seem to be stuck in the year 1942. The mining always begins at random places and seems to inevitably end up around WWII. The Brooklyn Navy Yard has long been a fascination of mine, and these pictures of war-time industry help to scratch that itch. One day when ACL is a massive corporation (with interests in everything from ladies undergarments to heavy equipment; just like the Japanese!) the world headquarters will hopefully be at the navy yard in good ole Kings County, Brooklyn USA.

More LIFE posts here.

Comments on “LIFE Archive | Brooklyn Navy Yard

andrewon April 15, 2009 @ 1:13 PM:

nice one

John Ton April 15, 2009 @ 1:14 PM:

Interesting how hats were so prevalent back then. Almost a requirement and not an accessory.

Zeph Con April 15, 2009 @ 2:30 PM:

Dear Michael,

Hi. After reading this post, I was inspired to comment because my father has worked in the BNY for over 30 years running his own custom metal fabrication shop. His business is called Product and Design and you can check out what we do at I highly recommend it.

Also, I don’t know if you’re interested, or if you have ever been exploring in the BNY now, its pretty cool and you can see the exact buildings and machinery (or whats left of it) that is still around today. If you’re interested, I would be happy to meet up and give you a tour/explore the place… while avoiding the mean guards.

John Georgeon April 15, 2009 @ 4:35 PM:

I believe hats were fully standard until JFK eschewed them and that was that.

Much like MJ and long, baggy basketball shorts.

Johnon April 15, 2009 @ 5:52 PM:

I wonder how americans today would respond to a government demanding a “full days work,” even if it were under the pretense of a war.

Tom Paineon April 15, 2009 @ 7:33 PM:

Thanks for the pics. I’m digging the caps!

Paulon April 16, 2009 @ 7:41 AM:

Wow! Give an honest days work — wish that sign was in our parking lot here at the office.

Got a few who quote the Bible all day long, but cheat the company ’cause work gets in the way of their personal lives.

Do you think hats will come back?

citizen wayneon April 16, 2009 @ 1:48 PM:

Miller Time, you say you’d operate ACL in Brooklyn but will you live here Manhattan boy!

Michael Williamson April 16, 2009 @ 5:17 PM:

I’d live in BK ina heart beat. Spent five years in Windsor Terrace before moving to the island.

citizen wayneon April 16, 2009 @ 8:26 PM:

Come on back, I’ll have Miller on ice waitin’ fer ya.

mrjigawattson April 30, 2009 @ 1:34 PM:

amazing pics

Danaon July 2, 2009 @ 7:41 PM:

Those houses (Admiral Row) in the picture third from the end have all fallen into complete ruin and will be demolished later this year.