Obsession | Dodge A100 Van Truck

First the Bronco II, then the IH Scout and now…the Dodge A100 van-truck! I’m getting more obscure by the minute, but check out the flat face on this Mopar mother. How could you not love a machine that looks like that, big-old spit screen windshield and everything. Its a van with 30% of its sheet metal whittled off — like someone just took a sawzall and chopped it up into a truck. American engineering at its finest. I suppose it does makes sense when you consider the fact that the A-100 was offered as a straight-up van as well. I much prefer the truck version though — especially in that robin’s egg two-tone.

Fun facts (from Wikipedia): The design of the A100 was inspired by the WV Type 2. Plus, the A100 was one of the original Hot Wheels cars that launched in 1968.

Also check out this olive colored and much coveted 1963 Ford Econoline truck.

Some images via Paul de Valera’s flickr.

Comments on “Obsession | Dodge A100 Van Truck

Andreaon April 7, 2009 @ 11:07 AM:

Look! Somebody turned a bunch of french bulldogs into trucks!

Simonon April 7, 2009 @ 11:08 AM:

see last week’s episode of “overhaul” on TLC

Michael Williamson April 7, 2009 @ 11:09 AM:

Fo’ real Simon? Foose overhauled an A100? Jealous!

Seanon April 7, 2009 @ 11:12 AM:
    markon April 7, 2009 @ 11:17 AM:

You are not getting more obscure, you’re just late to the game!

Michael Williamson April 7, 2009 @ 11:19 AM:

Thanks Mark — better late than never.

brandon sargenton April 7, 2009 @ 12:37 PM:

too funny…i just came across this today: http://www.allpar.com/model/littleredwagon.html

vton April 7, 2009 @ 1:17 PM:

Early, late: who cares.

Still brillant.

James Douglason April 7, 2009 @ 1:32 PM:

I like this one and the scout. You should also consider the original Ford Bronco, as well as the Jeep Grand Wagoneer for your obsession list.

Kerryon April 7, 2009 @ 1:51 PM:

You need a model of the Little Red Wagon.
    Next should be a Nash Metropolitan

danon April 7, 2009 @ 5:20 PM:

I’m even more late. Never seen nor heard of this freakish “hybrid.” Thanks for the post!!

Rebecca @ Grey Ponyon April 7, 2009 @ 6:29 PM:

omg I want the turquoise one!! These trucks are summer essence and drives to the beach, and then in the fall I want to collect firewood in one. Maybe drop by a vineyard for a case of cheap stuff. And stock up the deep freeze with like, half a pig.

williamon April 8, 2009 @ 8:38 AM:

Maybe it wasn’t the Little Red Wagon, bit I remember watching one of those trucks doing wheel stands at Lion’s Drag Strip in southern California in the late 60’s.

williamon April 8, 2009 @ 8:54 AM:

Sorry to double post, but I found this tidbit:

“Perhaps my favorite was a contest between Bill Maverick’s “Little Red Wagon” and Chuck Poole’s “Chuck Wagon” wheelstanders. In their final round with the scored tied, Maverick shocked the crowd when he set his front end down in the actual sand trap without too much damage and just a few yards from the property fence, and was feeling pretty good about his pending victory. But Poole would have none of it, and when he became disoriented from the fog past the finish line, he drove, wheels-up, past Maverick, through an opening in the fence, down an access road, out the gate, and crashed upside-down into the adjoining property – the winner!”

Joeon April 8, 2009 @ 9:57 AM:

when i was a kid a guy down the street had one of these…..couldn’t appreciate it then, now….wondering if it’s still parked behind his house like it was a few years back. might have to go have a look.

don weiron April 8, 2009 @ 4:50 PM:

there’s one around the corner from me in austin. next time you’re in town we’ll get some high life’s and tour the hood. full of old trucks, bikes, motorcycles, etc.

Kirkon April 9, 2009 @ 10:15 AM:

Nice choice for your list. I must agree with Mr. James Douglas about the early Ford Bronco though. May I also suggest, and please hold your laughter, the Datsun 320 pickup circa 1961. A nice variety can be found here.

Or the Datsun 520 circa 1965…

That’s right, I said Datsun…What up Sun?

reteptterrabon April 12, 2009 @ 4:22 AM:

That ride is not a Want but a Need! Oh yeah, all we need is some new dark blue rigid jeans, faded blue Vans slip ons and couple of cold High
    Lifes and we’d be On The Road. Pick up a cheap pack of smokes and let the journey begin…

Isaac Buieon April 12, 2009 @ 5:34 PM: