The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit

The 1956 movie based on Sloan Wilson’s best seller is one of my all time favorite films. It served as the inspiration for some of my modern day obsessions like Mad Men. There are even some excellent images in Take Ivy that document the same type of Madison Avenue business man from the late 50s early 1960s. Long before we had Thom Browne and Donald Draper there was Mr. Gregory Peck in his gray flannel suit.

But I don’t know anything about public relations.

Who does? You’ve got a clean shirt, you bathe every day, that’s all there is to it.

[vodpod id=Groupvideo.2200927&w=500&h=383&fv=%26rel%3D0%26border%3D0%26]

Comments on “The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit

james foxon March 11, 2009 @ 10:49 AM:

love that last photo… “the look” lifestyle layout -pr suburbian. cue recreation.

Steveon March 11, 2009 @ 10:59 AM:

Gregory Peck does not get the sartorial credit he deserves so thanks for reminding us. This was a man who knew how to wear a suit.

Sam Jacobson March 11, 2009 @ 11:05 AM:

Thom who? G. Peck & D. Draper’s pants actually reach their shoes….Great photos! Good find!

ad easeon March 11, 2009 @ 11:15 AM:

A grey flannel suit is an absolute staple in any man’s wardrobe. Just so versatile. I like to have both a light grey and a mid grey and mix and match the jacket with the pants. I agree Gregory Peck should be acknowledged much more for his sartorialness (Is that a word?). Check Jack Lemmon also in the Apartment. Great fitting suits. Great film. Just a great era.

Cory Nolanon March 11, 2009 @ 11:19 AM:

3rd picture… 383 Madison – old Bear Stearns building address … weirddd

Russell Streeton March 11, 2009 @ 11:44 AM:

Good stuff!

joon816on March 11, 2009 @ 11:46 AM:

I love the 3rd picture, thanks for the post ACL !

plaidouton March 11, 2009 @ 12:04 PM:

The reason I moved to NY. Thank you for the beautiful post!

abh1wordpresson March 11, 2009 @ 1:21 PM:

You should post some photos of the current day “Boys in the Gray $125 t-shirt”.

Paulon March 11, 2009 @ 1:25 PM:

Gregory Peck did know how to step out. I don’t know exactly what it says about us today that we would find his gray flannel oppressively heavy: modern worsteds are woven much finer than the ones Peck, Bogart, and Grant wore. So why do we always look so inferior in our more elegant suits?

JPon March 11, 2009 @ 2:06 PM:

If only we could go back in time…

Darylon March 11, 2009 @ 7:46 PM:

I just finished reading Man in the Gray Flannel Suit and Revolutionary Road this week. Peck definitely seems older and more sophisticated than Tom Rath is in the book, but I could hear the Peck’s great voice speaking Rath’s words. The book mentions gray flannel suits a few times.

Andreaon March 12, 2009 @ 6:38 PM:

Peck had what used to be referred to as “an elegant carriage” – that is to say, good posture in motion. It does wonders for clothes. That sort of thing doesn’t seem to be much in fashion these days.

I still miss Peck; he was just as arresting as an elderly gentleman as he was as a young man.