In the Wild | Civilian Conservation Corps

One of FDR’s first programs enacted under the New Deal was the establishment of the Civilian Conservation Corps or CCC as it came to be known. The program enlisted thousands of out-of-work young men throughout the United States to “focus on natural resource conservation” at National, State and local park-lands. Oregon State University has a beautiful archive of images from the days of the CCC. Some of my favorites below.

Comments on “In the Wild | Civilian Conservation Corps

Michael Williamson February 26, 2009 @ 11:16 AM:

I just want to add: you know that picture with the “M” sweater is being printed out at RL right now!

dmfashionon February 26, 2009 @ 11:53 AM:

Wow, these are great. I’ve been reading some literature and biographies from the 20’s-50’s for inspiration, but I’ve kinda skipped the depression. I guess it’s time for me to go back.

citizen wayneon February 26, 2009 @ 12:17 PM:

I see knee high logger boots on the runway for next fall. look out! These photos are Black & White bliss!

Alphaon February 26, 2009 @ 12:30 PM:

Totally lovin this post, Michael. I wish I had these pics poster size :-)

I can see that sweater with an “A” on it.

Neilon February 26, 2009 @ 12:46 PM:

I see a few non-Anglo faces in the crowd and as a person of colour I have always wondered what the social dynamics were like during those hard times for all. Thanks again Michael for a great find.

indiansummervintageon February 26, 2009 @ 2:15 PM:

I’m a wee bit of a newbie to your site but feel compelled to tell you how wonderful it is and how I appreciate your posts!

These pictures take me deep…

John Georgeon February 26, 2009 @ 2:38 PM:

Forget the M sweater. Give me the half button with the double flap pocket.

Matton February 26, 2009 @ 3:03 PM:

I wonder if this would work today? There are some places in the world (some here in the US) that could benefit from the help of able bodied unarmed wokers!

mikeon February 26, 2009 @ 4:17 PM:

great post

a bit of cascadia culture

Laguna Beach Tradon February 26, 2009 @ 4:40 PM:

Awesome photos! I expected to see a lot of bush shirts and plaid shirts. Would the typical “out-of-work young men” in the US submit to this sort of project today? I’m not so sure. Perhaps only under the supervision of armed wardens, maybe.

Ol' Sporton February 26, 2009 @ 6:26 PM:

I saw lot of work the CCC boys did in upper Wisconsin. Very cool pix.

jkon February 26, 2009 @ 8:16 PM:

how do you find these things?? amazing post.

Billon February 26, 2009 @ 8:19 PM:

I wish more contemporary designers would pay attention to how the clothing in these pictures *fits*. It may sometimes appear to be too large, but it *never* appears to be too small. It’s work clothing, for working in. The current one-size-under look will be something people photographed in it will sharply regret, a decade from now.

Warrenon February 26, 2009 @ 10:39 PM:

Nothing beats the proletariat.

osu studenton February 28, 2009 @ 1:53 PM:

I go to OSU and never knew my university had a flickr account.

How do you find such great finds.

LIFE photo archives have some logging images from Oregon that remind me of this post, granted a few decades later. (logging source:life)

samon March 3, 2009 @ 2:18 PM:

My grandmother was in the girl’s version. For younger people it was apparently really fun.

MikeyBon December 10, 2009 @ 4:31 PM:

The CCC is still going strong today.

I participated in the CCC Backcountry Trails Program in the summer of ’07. The CCC backcountry trail crews continue to keep the legacy alive by maintaining California’s National Forests.