Hard Five in Vegas

Work has brought me to Las Vegas for the fall apparel trade shows over the past five days. I managed to check out some cool brands and hang with friends. I have family in town, so my trips tend to be slightly different than my colleagues. It was good to catch up with friends and do some research for future ACL stories. The good people at Kempt even let me take some pictures and post some of my thoughts on their site. A lot of those photos and a few extras are after the jump. ACL x Kempt x Vegas can be seen here.

Sweden’s Fjallraven.

Sperry Collection.

Or Slow chambray shirt.

Nylon Homme Plus editor Jared Flint.

Sweden’s Fjallraven.

Rag & Bone at ENK at the Wynn.

Relwen’s Jamie Rupp.

Rag & Bone AW09 at ENK.

Crate Denim’s flannel shirt jacket.

Ryan from h(y)r collective at Capsule.

Japanese brand Or Slow.

You would think Miller was a paid sponsor, but I’m just a loyal customer.

My cousin’s garage…

The Wynn and Encore.

Comments on “Hard Five in Vegas

kiyaon February 22, 2009 @ 1:07 AM:

It was really great finally meeting you…
    I’ll contact you in two weeks for those shots.
    Keep up the great work on the site.

Erik Perssonon February 22, 2009 @ 2:49 AM:

I liked the look of the Fjallraven backpack (and their logo) so I checked out their site. But it appears that they don’t have a US presence.
    Do you know if their presence at this trade show means they will start marketing to the US?

Andrew Leeon February 22, 2009 @ 3:31 AM:

Actually, Fjallraven is carried by Opening Ceremony. I’ve seen the bags and jackets there. I do not know of any other US retailers.

mark frazeron February 22, 2009 @ 8:38 AM:

Great Delorean. Is that an everyday vehicle? or just for special occasions, like when family is in town?

Alexon February 22, 2009 @ 10:12 AM:

Does your cousin drive that DeLorean around much?

kaganon February 22, 2009 @ 3:06 PM:

more info about or slow? any us stockists?

Sid Watalon February 22, 2009 @ 4:23 PM:

That gray Rag and Bone bag just made my mouth water and I’m not even a huge bag enthusiast.

Andrewon February 22, 2009 @ 4:38 PM:

where can you find some of that mind blowing Or Slow stuff? unfortunately the brand has chosen one the most un-googlable names ever…

oneforsorrowon February 22, 2009 @ 4:49 PM:

You want to know the best thing about the DeLorean?……… it was made in Northern Ireland.

Robbie WIlsonon February 22, 2009 @ 5:20 PM:

It’s nice to see the comments on my DeLorean. I drove it for about seven months as my daily driver. It’s kinda rough on the city streets, due to the low clearance. It’s great when I can take her on the open road. She’s an 1982, all original, and only 36K. It’s a great piece in my stable.

Alphaon February 22, 2009 @ 5:57 PM:

Love that flannel plaid shirtjack!

Warrenon February 22, 2009 @ 11:47 PM:

Some nice threads, but the best part is the High Life. I’m a staunch supporter of the champagne of beers, too.

neilon February 23, 2009 @ 1:25 AM:

Thanks for the info. Luv the Fjallraven; my freinds in the UK have been flaunting their jackets for years. Cant wait for them to come to the West coast.

Richardon February 23, 2009 @ 4:56 AM:

Also a massive fan of Fjallraven – the bags as well as the jackets.

The bags themselves are designed primarily for trekking/travelling though, so if you’re after a shoulder bag for use in the city you should check out Ordning & Reda (another Swedish brand) – do you have that in the US?

Damionon February 23, 2009 @ 12:37 PM:

Just recently got acquainted with your blog…am loving it. Am also a fan of the High Life. Sparkling, flavorful, distinctive.

mikeon February 23, 2009 @ 8:09 PM:

Good to see you’re back posting. Love the site

Fosteron February 23, 2009 @ 8:56 PM:

great portraits

stephanie huntingtonon February 24, 2009 @ 10:37 AM:

Why is there hardly anywhere that sells good scandinavian brands? I’m wearing my merrimekko farmer shirt today.

Jerryon February 25, 2009 @ 2:26 AM:

Fjällräven sure is cool. The green jacket is actually almost 40 years old, developed for a Swedish Greenland Expedition.

Kånken, the smaller of the two backpacks is from 1978 and was almost part of a school uniform for Swedish children. At the end of the 1970s, new statistics showed that 80 percent of the Swedish population at some time suffered from back pain, a discomfort that was reaching younger and younger age groups.

Experts believed that if the load from school books was re-distributed from one shoulder to both shoulders, back pain would lessen and perhaps even disappear.

Fjällräven’s founder Åke Nordin followed the debate on crooked backs and sketched a functional, affordable backpack that met the needs of children to carry books and folders to and from school. Kånken was born!

Great to see them in U.S.!

Chrison February 27, 2009 @ 4:08 AM:

Hi there-

Any idea where Ryan’s sweater and flannel are from? Thanks!

danielon February 27, 2009 @ 10:08 AM:

thanks for the info jerry. not sure if kånken can be considered affordable to day like they were in the 80’s – I myself had one.