GQ + CFDA | Best New Menswear Designer in America 2009

Last night GQ held its second annual Best New Menswear Designer in America event at Rockefeller Plaza. The party was in honor of the six finalists — Rogues Gallery, Shipley & Halmos, Benjamin Bixby, Save Khaki, Robert Geller and Yigal Azrouël. As expected, the event was an assembly of the who’s who in the menswear business and much like last year, the collections were beautifully showcased in that oh-so-GQ aesthetic.

After the presentation event, the selection committee (which consisted of “a panel of industry experts” — Thom Browne, American menswear designer; Steve Evans, the Levi’s brand VP of merchandising; Kevin Harter, Bloomingdale’s VP of fashion direction; Steven Kolb, CFDA executive director; Jim Moore, GQ creative director; and Jim Nelson, GQ editor-in-chief) worked to select Robert Geller as the 2009 winner. I have known Robert since his days at Cloak and you would be hard pressed to meet a nicer guy. Soft spoken, low key and super talented, Robert is the real deal. Congratulations to him and all the people over at Robert Geller. Photos from the event after the jump.

Mr. Robert Geller

Mr. Andre Benjamin

Mr. Thom Browne

Mr. Jim Moore of GQ and Steven Alan

Mr. Tommy Hilfiger and GQ’s Mr. Jim Nelson

Mr. Robert Burke and Mr. Andre Benjamin

Photos via Andrew Walker/Getty Images

Comments on “GQ + CFDA | Best New Menswear Designer in America 2009

Ryanon February 13, 2009 @ 2:03 AM:

I wish I could have been there…
    I think the best designer won. Congrats to Mr. Geller and his team.

Although I have always been a big Andre fan…

Steveon February 13, 2009 @ 4:24 AM:

Definitely the right decision. Good job Rober Geller.

On a side note, I am beginning to think that Thom Browne is actually a cyborg set back from the future to alter the way we wear the suit. Every picture of him is the same.

Tom Paineon February 13, 2009 @ 8:33 AM:

Thanks for the photos. I didn’t know that Andre Benjamin has a fondness for high rise pants.

citizen wayneon February 13, 2009 @ 9:05 AM:

I think RG deserved it. He has a nice balance of style and influence without being too literal with current men’s fashion like some of his contemporaries. I wish all the designers nominated much success in these though times. These young brands are keeping the US “Tete de la course”.

Fosteron February 13, 2009 @ 9:37 AM:

Another vote for Alex Carelton.

Alphaon February 13, 2009 @ 10:09 AM:

I think this was a particularly good group this year. Kudos to RG and all the nominees.

dandy nihilismon February 13, 2009 @ 11:10 AM:

The best designer is the most poorly dressed. Those casual pants, first photo center right, are fantastic however.

Randyon February 13, 2009 @ 11:37 AM:

geller is nice, but rogues is nicer.

1. rogues
    2. geller
    3. shipley
    4. save khaki
    5. bixby
    6. yigal

Memphis88on February 13, 2009 @ 11:44 AM:

Just read a piece over on Kempt about this and it said that we won’t know the winner until August. I guess now we won’t have to wait 6 months. I want that Rogues sweater in that last picture.

Thomon February 13, 2009 @ 12:27 PM:

I prefer Rogues Gallery to wear, but Geller is definitely the more interesting designer. Thank god Andre Benjamin didn’t win…like costumes from a weird play about high school fops. Save Khaki – never seen it, not sure I get it. They’re a Gap subsidiary, right? And how do people keep falling for the trickless magicians known as Shipley + Halmos? Didn’t we learn anything from Trovata?

christopheron February 13, 2009 @ 12:29 PM:

RG looks much better when styled than at retail. Most retailers only pick up there T’s and hoodies it seems.

Cedrickon February 13, 2009 @ 3:29 PM:

Robert Geller is the most interesting designer I have found in a very long time. The clothing makes any man look stylish…It is clear that designing is a passion for RG and his team.

christopheron February 13, 2009 @ 4:31 PM:

I need to start thinking before I comment today. I keep putting my foot in my mouth.

When I said RG I meant Rogues Gallery.

Memphis88on February 14, 2009 @ 12:36 AM:

Kempt has since changed that piece and posted a thing on Robert Geller winning.

Alphaon February 14, 2009 @ 7:24 PM:

Thom: Rumor has it that F’09 from Trovata is being quite well accepted so far.

styleguy5on February 15, 2009 @ 12:25 PM:

Great show, really enjoy Robert Geller as well as Rogues Gallery. I don’t know how well Bixby will do, it a bit too much at times.

Rafe Totengcoon February 27, 2009 @ 7:42 PM:

Love love love Robert Geller. He deserved to win! He’s stayed true to his vision, never wavering, and always consistent.
    Kudos to Yigal, Rogues and Shipley & Halmos as well.