LIFE Archive | The Pacific Theater in Color (Part II)

The second installment of Pacific Theater images from the LIFE archive. Be sure to click on the images to see the details. The shots of the fighters over the ocean really blew me away. I came across a lot of images of “deck scenes,” showing the solders en route to their next engagement. It looked hot and boring, not to mention nerve-racking. Part I can be seen here.

Comments on “LIFE Archive | The Pacific Theater in Color (Part II)

Danon December 20, 2008 @ 11:48 AM:

My father did a tour on a carrier in the Indian Ocean. He said it was so hot and humid that the polish on their dress shoes would run onto the deck during morning muster. Former Navy myself, but never having served on a ship, I thought of his story while standing on the blazing hot pave of a Texas country road outside Amarillo. The rubber on my Doc Martens stuck to the blacktop.

Great pics!

jkon December 20, 2008 @ 3:19 PM:

wayne pateon December 20, 2008 @ 4:21 PM:

The colors in these photos are incredible. The blues,
    military green and those brown boots! Ironic how
    wartime could look so beautiful. The clothing obviously played a huge factor in the beauty of
    some of these photos.

Joshuaon December 20, 2008 @ 6:16 PM:

thanks for my new desktop image

Heavy Tweed Jacketon December 21, 2008 @ 1:08 AM:

The photos over the Pacific are really amazing photos. Like nothing I’ve really ever seen.

matton December 21, 2008 @ 9:34 AM:

It’s amazing how recent these photos make the scenes appear.
    I have to ask though, how do you find these photos? Searching pacific theater didn’t turn them up for me.

Beekson December 21, 2008 @ 11:19 AM:

Try searching wwii and click on the color photographs which appear.

Kyleon December 21, 2008 @ 11:56 AM:

Truly breathtaking photography. Keep up the good work Michael.

One thing perplexes me though; why do the guys in the back of the planes not get covered by the cockpit?

Michael Williamson December 21, 2008 @ 12:24 PM:

A lot of these were found through searches like:

Deck Scenes:

This image is pretty awesome as well:

Michael Williamson December 21, 2008 @ 12:40 PM:

I would venture to say that the gunners are not covered by a canopy so it is easier for them to see and track enemy aircraft.

Johnon December 22, 2008 @ 5:47 PM:

i founded the Life Archives on A Continous Lean, now im completetly amazed! thanks for the tip and for managing my favourite blog!

keep up the good work!

Blue in the Faceon January 5, 2009 @ 5:39 PM:

It’s a good thing wars aren’t so gorgeous anymore. Maybe we’ll have less of them.

PS–That top shot, of the dive-bombers (Dauntlesses?) is particularly breathtaking.

joanna goddardon January 5, 2009 @ 5:49 PM:

love the one of them sleeping on the deck.