Flickr Find | Painted Brick Signs

Flickr Find is a weekly column of interesting things found on the amazing and inspiring photo sharing website Flickr.

If you look around, there are buildings with old painted signs all over the place. New York’s former warehousing district of TriBeCa is loaded with them. Although most of the buildings have been converted into luxury apartments now. Smart developers leave the signs intact to give the buildings a nice historic look. You can also see a lot of this sort of painted sign advertising on “Main Street” brick buildings throughout the middle west and south. Some favorite painted signs are below. Enjoy!

More Flickr Finds can be seen here.

Comments on “Flickr Find | Painted Brick Signs

INVISIBLE AGENTon December 11, 2008 @ 2:45 PM:

There are some great ones in the garment district of old tailors, dress forms, manufacturers, and sewing machines.

Also the Dixon Mills Pencil factory in Jersey City is a great building.

Shine Collectiveon December 11, 2008 @ 2:46 PM:

This is one thing I love about the architecture in Baltimore. It’s preserved even on the renovated warehouses.

Angelo R.on December 11, 2008 @ 4:06 PM:

“If you’re lucky you can find an old Optometrist sign; I’ve seen a few around but I can’t remember where.”

Maybe you should find a Neurologist sign.

INVISIBLE AGENTon December 11, 2008 @ 4:30 PM:

Good one Angelo – I’ll look into finding a neurologist sign to help with that problem; although an actual neurologist would probably be a better place to start.

DGon December 11, 2008 @ 4:56 PM:

The one of ponte’s building is great. They own a bunch of property in tribeca and have a great italian restaurant named Fili Ponte.

Shelbyon December 11, 2008 @ 5:56 PM:

Great buildings! And awesome photos. Off to find some old buildings to shoot….

meganon December 11, 2008 @ 10:56 PM:

Wow, these are amazing photos. I never would have thought to photograph this sort of thing but I live in a large city where things like this abound so perhaps I should start taking advantage of my surroundings :)

Michael Daddinoon December 12, 2008 @ 8:06 AM:

Frank Jump’s Fading Ad Blog and are also motherlodes for this kind of thing.

Angelo R.on December 12, 2008 @ 12:41 PM:

hope you didn’t take offense, just joshin’

INVISIBLE AGENTon December 12, 2008 @ 2:41 PM:

Not at all…I kind of set myself for that. It’s really going to bug me until I find that optometrist sign again.

the lil beeon December 12, 2008 @ 8:49 PM:

These are awesome!

designermanon December 14, 2008 @ 11:19 PM:

these are so great.

there was a beauty on E 13th between 5th and 6th that was exposed after they took down a 2 story building.

it was painted over a couple of weeks ago. ironically i think the sign was ‘PAINT.’

Davieson December 16, 2008 @ 8:59 PM:

It was! Except it was on W. 13th. I actually used to live in the building with the “Paint” sign on it – too bad to hear they’ve covered it up.