Shuron Ltd. Eyewear

An ACL reader and frequent tipster sent in a suggestion for The American List that I thought deserved a little more attention than a simple listing. Greenville, South Carolina based Shuron Ltd, is an eye wear manufacturer that has been turning out frames since the time of the Civil War. The company is most well known for their sixties style frames, but Shuron is also famous for being a sunglasses supplier for the U.S. military in WWII. These iconic sunglasses — now called the “MacArthur” after the famous Army General Douglas MacArthur — are still offered today. (Thanks to Michael for the tip)

Kevin Costner sports the Ronsir ZYL in Oliver Stone’s 1991 film JFK.

The MacArthur model is similar to the Ray-Ban Outdoorsman that was seen on the cover of the August, 2007 issue of Free & Easy.

Comments on “Shuron Ltd. Eyewear

wecouldgrowuptogetheron November 25, 2008 @ 12:03 PM:

the brown ronsir gives me butterflies

Davidon November 25, 2008 @ 12:10 PM:

Malcolm X wore a pair similar to those.

james of secret fortson November 25, 2008 @ 12:18 PM:

I’m happy that people are taking notice of this company. Have been singing praises since I stumbled upon them.

ps. love the site.

D in TXon November 25, 2008 @ 12:33 PM:

Hello – Please check out The Optometrist Attic

Excellent selection of vintage and some new frames – very excellent prices. I bought the black Criss Apollo (made in the USA) about six months or so ago – $36 bucks! Very fast service and Vick is really awesome to deal with and very knowledgeable.

Youngsteron November 25, 2008 @ 1:38 PM:

On the topic of glasses
    Does anyone know is Moscot makes its frames in the USA? If so, it would really cinch the deal for me.

Joeon November 25, 2008 @ 3:31 PM:

Love them! Very similar to the Ray-Ban Clubmaster. The Clubmaster is very popular again as sunglasses. I have a prescription pair I have used as eye-glasses and now as sun-glasses. The lens area is smaller than the Ronsir.

Paul Pincuson November 25, 2008 @ 4:50 PM:

wow! these are great-looking. thank you for the intro : )

d.on November 26, 2008 @ 3:31 AM:

i want it! exactly like that one!

Tintinon November 26, 2008 @ 12:06 PM:

Growing up in the south those glasses really creep me out. They do not bring up happy memories or associations with the people who wore these in 1969. The sunglasses are neat.

Jaredon November 26, 2008 @ 6:31 PM:

i wear Allyn Scura Barton frames in tortoise. Love ’em

kiyaon November 26, 2008 @ 8:59 PM:

Sorry to break it to you, but these are made in China and the quality is pure garbage.

kiyaon November 26, 2008 @ 9:26 PM:

Upon further research, it seems that almost the entire line is now made overseas, and few models are still made in the US.
    The ones i have that are from a friend’s optical shop from when he was sent samples are stamped with “made in china” and the acetate is uneven at the bridge..

Paigeon December 4, 2008 @ 2:25 PM:

I just discovered this blog and it’s great. Posts like these are wonderful discoveries.

Bretton January 13, 2009 @ 2:39 PM:

I’ve spoken with John at Shuron LTD a few times and he denies all claims that Shuron frames are made overseas. He says that the line is still made in the US. He also says that because people are so quick to buy cheap frames from China, Shuron is having a tough time. In other words, they need people to buy frames now! And don’t expect to find them in your local market; I live in LA and no one carries them here. Wanna save an icon? Buy frames via internet from Shuron asap.

Karlon March 5, 2009 @ 10:58 AM:

Shuron frames are definitely made in the USA. They are very high quality and also very reasonably priced. I just bought some myself, so I have seen the quality and USA stamp first hand.

Shuron is very easy to work with. If you contact them, they will send you a few pairs of different sizes so you can get the right size. Also, most optometrists can order them for you if you need to go that route to take advantage of your insurance benefits.

I had Shuron send me samples and then I ordered through my optometrist. I agree with Brett, save an icon! Even if you aren’t bold enough to wear vintage style glasses, Shuron has many styles that make excellent sunglasses.