From the Free & Easy Archive

The August, 2007 issue of Free & Easy includes one of my all time favorite articles from the Japanese publication, a buyers guide for dogs. I can see someone like New York Magazine doing this sort of feature (actually my pal Rosecrans wrote a much more logical piece on the topic in 2007), but not with the endearing absurdity that only Free & Easy can produce. After seeing this issue it became clear to me that the magazine is just a guide-book to living like an American. That was also the same day that Free & Easy — with all its quirkiness — became my all time favorite magazine, after Vitals of course.

Comments on “From the Free & Easy Archive

emilyon November 21, 2008 @ 2:42 PM:

They even love Western dogs…where are the Shiba Inus?

Michael Williamson November 21, 2008 @ 2:43 PM:

Hello! The whole magazine is about American culture, hence the lack of Shiba Inus…

tripon November 21, 2008 @ 3:03 PM:

Interesting that they have a flat-coated retriever listed. A friend of mine has one and seemed to indicate that they are pretty rare here in the States; more popular in England. They cost quite a pretty penny too…Beautiful dog, though.

Ms. P&Con November 21, 2008 @ 3:41 PM:

What about the terriers? My dog will be very sad her gang of funny stocky-legged cuteness was overlooked.

Shaneon November 21, 2008 @ 4:32 PM:

I agree with Ms. P&C. We recently adopted a Cairn Terrier and like Toto she is as American as Auntie Em’s apple pie.

wayne pateon November 21, 2008 @ 4:46 PM:

It’s insane how thorough F & E can be when covering a topic. There coverage of vintage fountain
    pens in the Dec 08′ issue is incredible.

REILLYO'on November 21, 2008 @ 5:26 PM:

Funny, most of those items HST rocked! Aviators, Chucks, Hat…

Thomon November 21, 2008 @ 5:28 PM:

I buy Asian magazines from time to time even though I can’t read a lick of their copy. They have a much more open attitude towards total geekiness.

ericon November 21, 2008 @ 5:52 PM:

So glad to hear someone else mention their love for Vitals. I saved all my issues. men’s and women’s.
    occasionally i flip through them and sigh. Why, Vitals?! Why?!

Randyon November 21, 2008 @ 6:21 PM:

agree on vitals. big fan. i’ve got all the men’s issues and they still look great.

Tintinon November 21, 2008 @ 6:53 PM:

Trad Rule for Dogs- Never have a dog you can’t pick up and move. Comes in handy when your dog starts humping your mother in laws leg.

Joe Conyerson November 21, 2008 @ 9:16 PM:

Does Free & Easy have a blog?

Michael Williamson November 22, 2008 @ 10:37 AM:

I do not believe they do. Although, if they did I’m sure it would be in Japanese.

Brett Wagneron November 22, 2008 @ 6:24 PM:

I miss Vitals man…

Justinon November 23, 2008 @ 10:12 AM:

Vitals—gee, I thought I was the only one. Everyone always looks at me like I am crazy when I say I miss that magazine. It was done so well…

Jasonon November 23, 2008 @ 1:24 PM:

Free&Easy has been my fav mag for some years now; I’m almost as hooked on the magazine as I am on clothes. What I find interesting about Free&Easy is that it’s based on a kind of reverse versionism. The original vintage piece is the start; the versions – by Mister Freedom, Post O’Alls, RRL, etc – seem to get the greatest appreciation for not straying too far from that point. The opposite to any other creative arena, here, the detailed, lovingly remastered homage gets top marks. But the dogs, you can keep.

Lesli Larsonon November 26, 2008 @ 3:10 PM:

Silly question–is Free & Easy an online only publication or is there a print versions…?

I’m surprised F&E they missed out on documenting the best breed of all time–the curly coated retriever (my future dog of choice).

himelatoron November 20, 2009 @ 9:32 PM:

You can get the magazine on special order in NYC

I contributed many of the jackets that have appeared in the is a vintage clothing encyclopedia.