The American List

If you haven’t noticed already, there is a new addition to the header called The American List. The idea of making a collective listing of American made products came to me as I was searching the internets for previously undiscovered brands that produce goods domestically. I found that the Made in the USA lists that are out there are generally pretty crappy and inevitably unstylish. So there you have it, a list of American-made yet fashionable things is born.

The American List

Comments on “The American List

wayne pateon November 17, 2008 @ 4:17 PM:

Hats off to you Michael for taking the time and effort to put together a flawless list. This is a great
    deed you’ve done for your country. Sarah Palin would be proud.

John Georgeon November 17, 2008 @ 4:19 PM:

I’m not certain that they fit the bill for this collections, but I’ve always made a point of buying New Balance footwear for running and training purposes, as I was under the impression that they maintain stateside manufacturing.

matthewon November 17, 2008 @ 4:30 PM:

Oh, this is wonderful! I’m sharing this with everyone I know. Thank you!

Philon November 17, 2008 @ 4:30 PM:

Tough Traveler has been making high quality bags in Upstate NY since the 70’s:

Joel K.on November 17, 2008 @ 4:36 PM:

Wesco Boots has been around since 1918, and they are on par with White’s.

Ms. P&Con November 17, 2008 @ 4:40 PM:

Lovely! Any room for kids? I instantly thought of Saltwater Sandals…spent my childhood in these:

Turlingon November 17, 2008 @ 4:43 PM:

Allen Edmonds for shoes, I believe, could be added.

Michael Williamson November 17, 2008 @ 5:02 PM:

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Allen Edmonds is in, Tough Traveler is in, Wesco is under consideration!

P&C — no kids! Sorry.

ron November 17, 2008 @ 5:29 PM:

These guys seem like fair game to propose:
    Loden Dager
    and Kiwi’s, the CA standard for flip flops/sandals since the 60’s
    *great list, I like the Round House wears.
    ps is Ben Davis made in the USA?

Winn Perryon November 17, 2008 @ 6:12 PM:

Swans Island Blankets in Maine are fantastic.

Also, Centralia Knitting Mills does a lot of Letterman Style jackets for many Japanese stores under the label Skookum.

Not clothing, but Field Notes are Made in the USA, also Rite in the Rain does great all weather journals in Tacoma, WA. It might be nice to have things other than clothing. Leatherman tools are also made in Oregon. Things like that.

Chuckon November 17, 2008 @ 7:51 PM:

Cannondale bikes should also be on the list

kjon November 18, 2008 @ 12:01 AM:

sterlingwear also comes to mind.

Brianon November 18, 2008 @ 1:47 AM:

SyCip Bikes builds bicycle frames in Sonoma County, CA.

Chris Hon November 18, 2008 @ 3:11 AM:
    Adrianon November 18, 2008 @ 3:15 AM:

Corcoran Jump Boots are still made in the U.S., check out the Historic Brown leather version…

My gf bought a sweater from Bemidji Woolen Mills on a trip to Japan, color blocked cardigan Made in USA, quality is top notch.

Reproduction Military, Biker, Country Western jackets, Made in USA. I suspect they may be manufacturing for Real Mc Coy in Japan, not certain though. Custom Made. Mostly leather, some other fabrics. Look at the peacoat, also in wool: They also do some repro Safari gear should be good for summer.

Reproduction Studded Leather Belts:, good in a biker, RRL style.

Can someone confirm these are Made in USA?

American Ranchwear:

Rugby Shirts: “We were the original developers and manufacturers of pre-shrunk 100% cotton Rugby shirts for
    Lands End and LL Bean” :

Honorable mention:
    Canadian Sweater Company

Michael Williamson November 18, 2008 @ 10:29 AM:

The SAS Shoes penny loafers are nice. But this is going to prevent me to adding them to the list:

Ryanon November 18, 2008 @ 10:34 AM:

J.W. Hulme Bags…

Youngsteron November 18, 2008 @ 10:35 AM:

I have one of their belts, and I’m quite pleased with it. They are made in Essex, Ct and also supply belts to J. Press. Plus, they work at a much more affordable price point!

Michael Williamson November 18, 2008 @ 10:36 AM:

J.W Hulme is on there. Added this am.

Joel K.on November 18, 2008 @ 11:37 AM:

Not sure why Wesco doesn’t make the list?

Steve Shermanon November 18, 2008 @ 11:39 PM:

Great list. Some others I’ve thought of–Nice Collective, Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair, Patrick Ervell, Opening Ceremony, Oak…

Sad that none of the big names of American menswear are here (unless you count Thom Browne as a ‘big name’). How about it, Marc, John, Ralph?

nick goddardon November 19, 2008 @ 10:06 AM:

ooh i made an entire website about this– — you gotta check out surefire flashlights and snap-on tools, two of the best things made here! Corvettes are pretty sweet too.

nick goddardon November 19, 2008 @ 10:09 AM:

Also, Wahl made the original hair shears, and they are sweet. So are levi’s cap E jeans, and Filson jackets, some of my favorites. Carhartt has some union made clothing (like the UC03 jacket, which i love), and the list goes on. Titelist golf balls too. check out all the reviews of my favorites at

Adamon November 20, 2008 @ 11:54 AM:

Thanks for the list. Aside from American Optical any ideas for U.S. made eyeglasses?
    Belair watches are a favorite of mine.

Cheers, A

chasingmosson November 24, 2008 @ 10:56 AM:

Landshark Bicycles from Medform, OR

edgertoron April 5, 2009 @ 5:01 PM:

saltwater sandals are made in the u.s. and ARENT just for kids…they make men’s and women’s, too. i have two pairs and they’re awfully comfortable, even on manhattan sidewalks all day.