Mother and I at the Roc Center Christmas tree.
1. Timex Military Watch for J. Crew. $150
If I’m not going to be able to wear a break-the-bank expensive watch, I want something inexpensive, timeless and cool. J. Crew’s collaboration with Timex is just that. A perfect gift that will last a long time (bad pun, I know) and look good while doing it.
2. A night’s stay at the Ace Hotel. Rooms in Portland start at $95
Staying in a hotel might be my favorite thing ever. The room service, comfy beds…all of it is awesome. A stay at the ultra cool Ace Hotel (New York–good, Portland–better!) would be an adventurous and enjoyable gift.
3. Leather belt with engraved name from Central Kentucky Tack and Leather. $32
Anything monogrammed has an instant advantage over non-personalized gifts. These leather belts are a Kentucky tradition that any guy will appreciate. And they just plain look good.
4. Custom shirt from Alexander West. $100
Alexander West makes ordering custom shirts super easy. Send them your guy’s favorite shirt and they’ll reproduce it–in any of their 1,000 fabrics–for a hundred bucks. And the monogram is included!
5. Leica D-LUX 4 Digital Camera. $850. A subscription to Flickr. $24
Leica cameras are not only cool, but they are super functional. The D-LUX 4 is a big camera in a little, beautifully designed package.