Porter x B Yoshida Book Strap

One of the coolest things I saw last week in Japan was a grosgrain book strap at the Beams x Yoshida shop in Daikanyama. The Porter collection is insanely huge and very well done. I consider the brand one of the best in the business. I picked up a tote / backpack hybrid bag in black ballistic nylon at Tokyu Hands for about $145. A steal for the quality and especially good when you factor in that the bag is not available in NYC.

Comments on “Porter x B Yoshida Book Strap

Courtneyon October 27, 2008 @ 2:13 PM:

Michael! I’m utterly obsessed.

The Dapper Alchemiston October 27, 2008 @ 4:23 PM:

Michael, welcome back! This is absolutely fantastic. Is there a place to buy something like this in the states?

Julieon October 27, 2008 @ 4:35 PM:

Dear Michael,

I’m going to make you and your readers very happy: Porter IS AVAILABLE in the USA, and has been since this summer. I handle PR and sales for them, and th ebags are available at Opening Ceremony, Fred Segal, Barneys New York, Steven Alan and Base. I’m guessing you bought the Heat, which is one of our coolest line. Great choice!

Michael Williamson October 27, 2008 @ 4:47 PM:

Thanks a lot Julie. I better not see any of you people carrying my bag.

Ericon October 27, 2008 @ 6:30 PM:

I have been reading this blog for months now, and have compiled a list of things to buy the next time i’m in NY. I have been patient.

This is something I cannot be patient with. I want this. I want this now. Where can I order it online from? Or even better – where can I buy it in London?

Thomon October 27, 2008 @ 7:06 PM:

I grabbed a Porter catalogue from my local Asian bookstore (mostly to get the free pins) and was completely smitten. A fabulous company.

joanna goddardon October 27, 2008 @ 7:39 PM:

welcome home! this is so fab. i want one.

ABon October 28, 2008 @ 9:05 AM:

Hasn’t Porter been available for years above the Stussy shop on Wooster?

Michael Williamson October 28, 2008 @ 9:17 AM:

Yes, although I think that shop has closed? No?

ABon October 28, 2008 @ 11:03 AM:

Could be. Haven’t been in there in a couple years.

PS: Welcome back.

Amiton October 28, 2008 @ 11:29 AM:

Stussy shop closed, yep. The bags at Opening Ceremony are pretty swell.

Julieon October 28, 2008 @ 12:04 PM:

Hi Again guys,

The Stussy store used to offer the Head Porter collection, which is a special collaboration with DJ Hiroshi Fujiwara. This is usually not available where Porter is available – they have only 3 stores carrying it around the world I believe.

14kon October 28, 2008 @ 7:19 PM:

Michael, how much was the book strap? -thanks

von October 29, 2008 @ 4:37 AM:

I neeeeed one to keep my neurotic collection of notebooks together!

Julie….do you think you can help us get porter in Canada?

Simonon October 30, 2008 @ 2:10 AM:

3 things:
    -that’s cotton webbing not grosgrain
    -if you live in NYC, you can get the porter for monocle line at the tretorn store in soho
    -if you don’t live in nyc, you can order the porter for monocle line through monocle

p.s. like the site layout

Kevon October 30, 2008 @ 2:11 AM:

Does anyone in the States or Hong Kong carry the book strap?

Mikeon November 5, 2008 @ 1:58 AM:

Eric, I believe you can get the porter for monocle line–but not the book strap unfortunately–at Dover Street Market. At least you could recently (and you’re not exactly wanting for cool shops in London, btw. I live in NY and make lists for when I head to London.)

Martinon November 21, 2008 @ 10:12 AM:

If you’re in London you used to be able to pick up Porter at Hideout on Upper James St in Soho. You can also get it mail order at The Glade (German site but free postage at the mo’ : http://www.the-glade.com/

Kenon January 29, 2009 @ 2:16 PM:

We are in Los Angeles. Where can we buy Porter x B Yoshida Book Straps. We need 3 of them.