Tokyo | The Shops Part One

Prior to coming to Japan I thought New York was the best shopping city in the world. Talk about epic misconceptions. Tokyo has some of the coolest stores I have ever seen. I spent the better part of today wandering around Shibuya, Shinjuku and Harajuku. What I saw was just the tip of the iceberg. The highlights were Tomorrowland, United Arrows, the Journal Standard shops (Furniture, JS Homestead), Prada in Aoyama and my favorite Tokyu Hands. Some store photos (in the craze of things I didn’t shoot every store) from day one are below.

Prada glass block store in Aoyama.

Beautiful Paul Stuart store.

Paul Smith keeping it quirky.

Comments on “Tokyo | The Shops Part One

fotbollsgrason October 21, 2008 @ 5:28 AM:

Not much else to add but. Wow!

Coryon October 21, 2008 @ 7:49 AM:

Envy. This looks amazing. Have a great time man.

greg.orgon October 21, 2008 @ 9:55 AM:

the 10 corso como x cdg store is just up the street from prada.

also, don’t miss either the muji mothership in yurakucho/ginza or the location in tokyo midtown.

ad easeon October 21, 2008 @ 10:41 AM:

Tokyo is by far the greatest city to shop in the world. The whole Journal Standard brand incl JS Homestead is my hands-down fave. Didn’t know a Furniture store opened. Sometimes I ACHE to be in Japan. You will have the time of your life! I know of this AMAZING BBQ place called Kabto in Ebisu. If I have the card at home, I will try to send you the info. It is unbelievable. Seriously.

Michael Daddinoon October 21, 2008 @ 9:39 PM:

We need to build a second floating Manhattan Island right outside of New York Harbor so we can have room to build cool new stores.

The glass fa├žade on the Prada store must leak heat like crazy–but sakes alive, it sure is purty to look at.

Phoneyon October 21, 2008 @ 11:08 PM:

I love how Journal Standard Furniture’s number is posted in one of those pictures. Too bad they don’t speak English very well.

Natsumion October 22, 2008 @ 3:15 AM:

That Prada building is absolutely amazing, and I like the entrance of the Paul Stuart store. I’m definitely curious about the Journal Standard Furniture. It must be a wonderful world they’ve created in there.
    Have a great trip!

Hollister Hoveyon October 22, 2008 @ 2:06 PM:

So cool, M.W. They’re decades ahead. Decades.

Jeremy Sirotaon October 22, 2008 @ 2:44 PM:

Hands down, the top three of Tokyo include (a) the Seven Incarnations of Beams ( in the Harujuku District, (b) American Rag CIE ( throughout Tokyo, and (c) L’eclaireur ( in the Aoyoma District…most amazing.